They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4: Mac Vs Windows Version

Premiere Pro discussions.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4: Mac Vs Windows Version

Postby ryan_khoo » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:36 pm

It would be appreciated if I can I have some opinions on the following:

1) If I am gonna purchased Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, is there a difference whether I purchased a Mac version or a Windows version ?

2) How different is Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 from Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 ?

Thank you.
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Adobe Premiere Pro CS4: Mac Vs Windows Version

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:50 pm

In regard to your first question, the software is the same just formatted for Mac or windows. The purchase would depend on the computer you have Mac or Windows.

CS3 was the first release that integrated all the Macromedia offerings since Adobe purchased Macromedia. My understanding is that CS4 was not that much more in terms of features.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:09 pm

The interfaces for the Windows and Mac versions of Pro CS4 are identical. If you can do one, you can do the other.

And, except for a few features, you'll likely find CS3 and CS4 almost identical.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tiny » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:43 pm

I tend to believe, can't back this up, that the development time goes where the money is. My understanding, I could be wrong, is that Adobe sells more of the Mac addition than the PC version. If this is true, then I would believe that more development time/refinement time would be put into the platform making them the most money. So while all the features can be identical, one might run smoother, or without as many glitches.

I have the CS4 package, got it through my school for a class. It is all very nice, and when it is working, it works great. That being said, I had a lot of problems with it on Windows and have had to re-install is several times, mainly due to Adobe Dynamic Link breaking. The individual programs have run stable though, aside from some strange things that happen that either are user error, or more likely glitches.

That being said, I'm very pro PC, and am not rich enough to own a Mac to do all my editing on. So for me, PC was the only option.
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:34 am

tiny wrote:I tend to believe, can't back this up, that the development time goes where the money is. My understanding, I could be wrong, is that Adobe sells more of the Mac addition than the PC version. If this is true, then I would believe that more development time/refinement time would be put into the platform making them the most money. So while all the features can be identical, one might run smoother, or without as many glitches.

I have the CS4 package, got it through my school for a class. It is all very nice, and when it is working, it works great. That being said, I had a lot of problems with it on Windows and have had to re-install is several times, mainly due to Adobe Dynamic Link breaking. The individual programs have run stable though, aside from some strange things that happen that either are user error, or more likely glitches.

That being said, I'm very pro PC, and am not rich enough to own a Mac to do all my editing on. So for me, PC was the only option.

Hello tiny,

in my local store, Adobe is now offering the Creative Web Suite Premium for only $99 which include:
http://www.mine.com.sg/mall/productlist/4891

Dreamweaver CS4
Flash CS4 Professional
Photoshop CS4 Extended
Illustrator CS4
Fireworks CS4
Acrobat 9 Pro
Soundbooth CS4
Contribute CS4
Adobe Bridge CS4
Adobe Device Central CS4
Version Cue CS4

I am gonna get the Mac version bcos it is so cheap even though I don't really need it. What I really want is their Mac's version of Premiere Element and Premiere Pro ... sigh ...
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:00 pm

Those are educational software versions, right, Ryan?

That's still an amazing deal though! Although we non-students technically aren't eligible.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:58 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:Those are educational software versions, right, Ryan?

That's still an amazing deal though! Although we non-students technically aren't eligible.

Yes, Steve, those are Education Version. I bought it for my son because he is attending a class on Dreamwaver in school. So, since the offer is too tempting & difficult to resist, I might as well buy it for him because I think he will learn nothing if he doesn't practice & use it the software at home. Hopefully, he can produce "something". Hahaha.

I have to show them my son's student card in order to purchase for him.

I also bought a book on Dreamwaver & Flash to read up just in case my boy asks me. As I read up, I think this Adobe Flash is quite cool in the sense that it can create animation. Can the animation produced by Adobe Flash be imported into Final Cut for editing ?

When you mentioned that technically non-students aren't eligible, were you referring to non-students not eligible to purchase or not eligible to use the software ? Because I am wondering if I bought it for my son, can I use it for my own learning purpose ?

Thank you.
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:47 pm

Because I am wondering if I bought it for my son, can I use it for my own learning purpose ?

Well, that's really kind of a question of ethics, Ryan. If you're okay with it -- and you're not using the programs for your business -- you're probably okay.

I believe that the only handicap to using educational software is that you can't use an educational license to buy upgrades. So, next version of the software, you'll have to buy a full license again.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:

Well, that's really kind of a question of ethics, Ryan. If you're okay with it -- and you're not using the programs for your business -- you're probably okay.

For business ? Of cos not ... I am doing video editing only as hobby to "impress" family members & relatives. Hahaha. Obviously, my skills are not good enough to do business .... So, I can use it to learn Flash & Dreamweaver ?

I believe that the only handicap to using educational software is that you can't use an educational license to buy upgrades. So, next version of the software, you'll have to buy a full license again.

Aaarrrghhh.... I really didn't know educational version are not entitled for upgrades. Now I know why they are so cheap. What about updates ? Education version entitled for updates ?

Then I better stop waiting for an special offer for education version of Premiere Elements 7.
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby tiny » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:52 pm

Wow, that is insane, even for an educational price. That same product was listed for $300 at my school bookstore. I needed it for a class, but decided to spend the extra money and get the $600 Master Collection, since I wanted the video editing stuff.
I wish I were creative enough to write something witty here.
tiny
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:54 pm

You can buy regular upgrades to educational versions of products you own (in effect converting them to regular licences without educational use restrictions, if any). There just isn't a discounted "educational upgrade" to educational products. If you want an educational version of a new release, you need to purchase the full educational version. See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402371.html. However, I think Adobe is still sorting out what to do with the product licensing for the Macromedia products they acquired. Best to check with Adode for current info.
Bob

Postby Bill Hunt » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:17 pm

Ryan,

Sorry that I did not see the post in a timely fashion. There are not differences in the interfaces, but there ARE differences in the Effects, and some other Functional Content. The PC gets much more. Why? I have not clue, but there have been some speculations on this. If you are into Effects and can use either, go for the PC version.

There are a couple of posts on the Adobe CS4 forum with lists of the differences.

Good luck,

Hunt
Bill Hunt
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby rbman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:49 pm

I do some work with Adobe - hopefully I can clear some of these questions up.

You can buy regular upgrades to educational versions of products you own (in effect converting them to regular licences without educational use restrictions, if any). There just isn't a discounted "educational upgrade" to educational products. If you want an educational version of a new release, you need to purchase the full educational version. However, I think Adobe is still sorting out what to do with the product licensing for the Macromedia products they acquired. Best to check with Adode for current info.

This is correct - If you own one of the Student Editions of Creative Suite 4, you can purchase an upgrade - however, the upgrade is to the Commercial version. There is no educational upgrade. With the Student Editions, you can upgrade to the Commercial version for only the price of the upgrade.

As for differences between the Student Editions and the Commercial versions of Creative Suite 4 - there is no difference between the two software suites, except that the Student Editions can be purchased for up to 80% of the price of the full version. Adobe Student Editions give the end user all the features and functionality of the commercial versions. The software may only be used on a privately owned computer, and the end user may not transfer or resell ownership of the Adobe Student Edition license. It can be used for commercial purposes by the license holder.

Any other questions, let me know!
rbman
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks for chiming in, rb! And welcome to Muvipix. We hope you'll be a regular presence here.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Premiere Pro