They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

project suggestions to avoid disaster

Premiere Pro discussions.

project suggestions to avoid disaster

Postby tjodork » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:13 pm

I had to get a 60th anniversary video done by Dec 28. I had everything in PP CS4 and about ready to build and then everything went south... the day before.
Earlier I had had issues with mouths moving not in sync with sound and was suggested handbrake...I tried that but went back to iSkysoft media converter and applied the "fix" which was to specify the frame rate of 30fps. That solved all the video clips.
I had part 1 ( 20 mins of pictures and old videos) and part 2 ( 40 mins of testimonies sent to me from 30 peoples cell phones). I created about 15 sequences.
From the standpoint of organizing a problem PP is second to none. However, the program just kept hanging.....I would have to kill it and restart, back up x autosaves and try and recover. I did not have any trouble before adding the cell phone videos but didn't really have any issues with the exception of the mouths out of sync.

It had to be done by the next morning so I loaded CS4 on my laptop with Core I7 and 64GB mem, copied the project over and it also hung on that.... I was at wits end and then tried on Premiere Elements 10 and I could put the videos on the timeline but when I went to preview the videos I would hear sound but nothing moved in the preview screen.
I then loaded free HitFilm Express and attempted to build the 2nd half of the videos ..it took many hours but completed... I then took the output of these clips and fed into Adobe Encore and that crashed... I had to download DVDFlick (free) to build the dvd's. In the end after soooo many hours, I had a DVD with the videos but some parts had people's voices but just a green screen for the first part of them talking.
I'm looking for suggestions.... I don't really want to get into the subscription model with Adobe....is CS4 just not up to current videos ? My video output was 720p is that a problem.. is there more i can do when converting cell phone videos ? The video output created by HitFilms looked perfect...why would I have green screen instead of the video ?
Are there other programs that operate like PP that offer sequences and nesting ?

thanks
tim

2017-12-28 10_35_38-.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: project suggestions to avoid disaster

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:06 am

Just a guess but it may be that something in the program has become corrupted. Have you tried a re-install to see if that helps?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby tjodork » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:25 am

thats a good idea... i havent tried that yet ... I did go back and use handbrake and process EACH video, rotating each the appropriate amount (90,180 or 270) and setting to 720p (and setting constant fps to 30). So what came into PP was 720p in the right orientation
I was able to successfully put the video together without hanging... I then did the dynamic link-send to Encore and it even created a disk!!!
Everything was great except the end, where there was green screen overlaying the person talking.....when I went back and looked at the timeline it was green. I checked the source video and there appeared no problem. I then made exact copies of sources and put again in timeline and there was no green .... any idea why that would happen
the green stuff starts at 3:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFB0aUYB5wQ&feature=youtu.be

any reason why ?

thx
tim
2018-01-02 08_22_57-2018-01-02 02_28_02-Adobe Premiere Pro - O__60th anniversary_try after party4.pr.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby tjodork » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:07 pm

more info....
so after updating the timeline and it looking good... I did the sent to Encore...
when the disk was all burned... I happened to look back at the timeline and ARG ...the last 2 pieces are green again !
Somehow Encore is messing up the PP project/timeline

any ideas ? (note, tonight i will uninstall and reinstall but idk if that will help)
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby momoffduty » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:24 pm

It sounds like the Dynamic link function is not working properly. I don't use Dynamic Link because I don't have the full collection. For my projects, I export each sequence as a file and import those files into Encore. The first one is imported as a Timeline and the remainder as Assets.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby tjodork » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:00 am

I changed the last 2 video's to avi and used dynamic link and when I went to Encore, I actually didn't ignore the warnings about no end action.
I instead created a menu and wired it up.
The end result was FINALLY a good video.
Adobe makes amazing products...they unfortunately have flaws ...thanks goodness for Muvipix to get ideas on how to resolve.
Tim

so... to answer my own question - the suggestions to avoid disaster

1. SAVE OFTEN
2. use handbrake to rotate/convert videos to the right format and orientation
3. when you get certain videos to Green screen, convert to AVI
4. don't ignore errors in Encore
5. SAVE OFTEN
6. Reboot between building new projects
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:59 pm

Just a supplemental note: Premiere (Pro and Elements) does not properly handle variable frame rate video. Adobe has said that will be addressed but, as far as I can tell, it hasn't happened yet. Typically, the result will be audio out of sync with the video. Until Adobe fixes that, the best solution is to convert variable frame rate video to constant frame rate video before editing in Premiere.

I haven't looked into which devices produce variable frame rate video, but cell phones are a major source.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:24 pm

Just a note to say HI TIM !!! Glad to see you back at Muvipix :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby tjodork » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:51 am

Bob,
arg, how did I forget that one....that was key!

Chuck, thanks for the shout out !
tjodork
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Premiere Pro