They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Guide Lines?

Premiere Pro discussions.

Guide Lines?

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:30 pm

In Photoshop, you can drag on the edges of the rulers (assuming you have them showing) to pull down or out a guide line that will be either vertical or horizontal, depending on which ruler was your source.

Can something like this be done in either Premiere Pro, After Effects, or Premiere Elements?

Ex: I wanted to level the horizon in a 360 degree spin video. I couldn't find any way to open a guideline so I just guessed. In some places I needed to rotate up, in others things were pretty level and in others I had to tilt the opposite way. I made keyframes and PrePro did a fabulous job of adjusting the amount of rotation in between so it looks like a level horizon all the way around. That is, if I'm seeing straight! :fg:

I'd love to know if there is an easier way. It took me a couple of hours of percentage point rotations...

thanks,

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: Guide Lines?

Postby Peru » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:03 pm

Premiere Pro has a grid effect in Video Effects that can be added to any clip. You can apply it to a transparent clip on a track above your clip and toggle the track on or off as necessary. You can also adjust the parameters of the grid including size and color.
Peru

Postby RJ Johnston » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:45 pm

In Premiere Elements, you can create a title with just hypens or dashes going across, for example. Put that on the top track.
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:04 pm

Premiere Pro doesn't have guides, but there are workarounds. Peru mentioned the grid effect and that certainly works. You can apply it to transparent video or, my favorite, a blank title. That's certainly a viable option. Robert's suggestion works too.

My personal favorite for quick and dirty alignment is to use the Line tool in the titler. I'll create a blank title, press "L" to get the line tool, and, holding the shift key to constrain the direction of the line, click and drag the cursor to place horizontal and vertical guide lines where I need them. If necessary, you can use the Selection tool (press "V") and select a guide to move or resize it. And, you can use the titler's alignment tools.

Occasionally, I need a more precise template. In that case, I'll use Photoshop and create a psd or png file to create the template and import it into Premiere Pro.

Another option is to use After Effects. After Effects supports rulers and guides like Photoshop does.
Bob

Postby RJ Johnston » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:46 pm

A lot of times for aligning and measuring I use a Desktop Ruler, from Coder, that I can drag to anywhere on the screen. The ruler can be horizontal or verticle. Plus, I can measure angles with the "precise measuring tool" that's included. On the ruler is info about the mouse position and the RGB color under the cursor.

On the precise measuring tool is info about the x,y position, distance between two points, distance between x's and y's, and angle. This ruler really comes in handy, and I've used it for several years. I also have another of their products, Desktop Magnifier.

http://www.desktopruler.com/
Dell XPS 8940 Intel 8-core 10th gen.-i7 10700K (3.8-5.1 GHz); 32GB DDR4 2933 MHz RAM; 512 GB SSD; 2 TB 7200 HD; BDRE-drive; NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) RTX 2060 SUPER(TM) 8G8 GDDR6
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:52 pm

This is a free ruler that I use, too. I'd forgotten about that.
http://www.spadixbd.com/freetools/jruler.htm
Peru

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:43 pm

Wow. Great ideas, guys! The empty title idea is ingenious. Wish I'd thought of that!

I'll look for the grid - and either take future video leveling projects into After Effects or use the empty title when I need to straighten an horizon again.

Thanks for the rulers too, guys! IMO one can never have too many! I keep them all over the house - and carry one in my purse. You never know when you might run into a piece of furniture that may - or may not - fit in that space over by the window. I almost always take a camera with flash for the same reason. Sometimes what looks good in an antique/junque shop/flea market might not look so hot once you get back home. Sadly, I did NOT have a camera with me the other day when we went to pick up additional wire shelving for my yard storage building that holds things like china, vases, still life props, etc. It began to pour so we went instead to a nearby boat launch on the river to see how much the water has raised since we began to get rain again (none here for about 3 months) and we happened across about a dozen wild turkeys headed into the woods. We'll never see those turkeys again... made me feel like a turkey for being without a camera!
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro