They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How to best set up for Video Editing w/new machine?

Premiere Pro discussions.

How to best set up for Video Editing w/new machine?

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:18 pm

How can I best optimize settings for video editing on my new computer, BigBlue? (blue lights all over it)

C drive is 400GB SSD, very fast. Intel 750 NVMe. It will hold OS (Win 7 Ultimate) and programs.

I have a second 400GB SSD NVMe, identical to C. Empty

I have a 1T SSD 850 EVO. Currently nearly full of video files straight from the camera. I can move them to storage so it will be empty.

I have two, empty 7200 RPM SATA 1T drives. When I bought these I had the idea of having working video editing on one and working tutorials editing on the other and connecting them to the old, dead laptop via eSATA for editing.

I have another 1T 7200 RPM drives that hold websites, recipes, gardening ideas, pics, etc.

I have a mostly empty 4TB drive holding video footage. SATA 7200 rpm.

I have room for another two hard drives - can hold 8 or 9 SATA drives internally. The NVMe drives are each on a PCI slot. Still have the M.2 slot empty. It could hold another NVMe drive, such as the Samsung 950 Pro, drive, if I could afford to buy one, that is!

I have another half dozen or so large, external backup drives I can access via USB with a fair amount of space available.

==========================================================

I've had a history of C drive always being in a state of overflowing. With a 400GB C drive that is already half full, (205 GB remaining and I haven't installed Photoshop, Camtasia and other programs yet) I feel I really need to figure out why C fills up and prevent that from happening this time.

What I think is correct:

Photoshop, Bridge, and maybe other programs store "cache" or memory of images I've looked at so they can be brought up quickly if I want to see them again. I think this info will be stored on C drive unless I direct it to go elsewhere.

PrePro, After Effects, and Premiere Elements 11? - maybe 13? store memory of the steps I've taken while editing video. I think this info will also go on C drive unless I direct it to go elsewhere. There have been times when I've purged this info only to realize I'd deleted the steps I had already taken. I was not able to get this info back, so had to begin again. With Photoshop, the original image would still be there. With video the procedure taken seemed to be gone. Please correct me if this is not so.

There are "page files" that will be stored on C unless I direct them to be stored elsewhere. I have no idea what programs create page files.

It MAY be possible to have email on a drive that is not C, which I'd like to do, if possible.

===========================================================
I'd like to keep nothing but OS and programs on super fast C drive.

I'd like to have the video and/or tutorial I would be currently editing, and nothing else, on the 2nd 400GB super fast drive.

Should I save the video editing process on one of the 1TB drives until I'm certain I'm satisfied with a video, then delete the process files?

I can easily imagine having half a dozen video editing and tutorial editing projects going on at once.

I know I'm not using the right word for the video process files. PreView files?

I know there have been threads here on this subject before but I haven't been able to find them via search because there are so MANY pages of possibilities. If anyone remembers where to find this info, please refer me there.

thanks,

Paz
Whatever you do, don't set your coffee cup adjacent to your turps cup. :CS:
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Re: How to best set up for Video Editing w/new machine?

Postby momoffduty » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:01 am

The computer pros may have more to offer. My only suggestion is to have your cache files on a different drive than your program files.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:30 pm

Over on the Adobe Hardware Forum, they usually suggest to have your cache files on the fastest drive, as long as it's large enough, even if it's the same drive as your program files (only if it is an SSD).

But as Steve is fond of saying, "Your mileage may vary."
Peru

Postby momoffduty » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:52 am

That is true Peru, good point! I think it depends on how much space you have on your SSD for the cache files.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:31 am

I wonder if there is any advantage to keeping the program on one hard drive. the cache on a second drive and render final output to a third drive.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Peru wrote:...suggest to have your cache files on the fastest drive...

I have my cache files on my D: drive which is a WD Raptor. As SSD prices continue to drop that D: drive will eventually be replaced by an SSD (might be replaced with an SSD sooner if that Raptor fails :mrgreen: )
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Thanks for all your replies. I'm still trying to figure out which files are what - so I can try to figure out how to best separate them. I've been reading and reading...

Please either confirm or deny, based on your understanding... I'm just guessing here:

What are Page Files?

A: Page files are created by Windows on the C drive, to keep the info right at hand, the way RAM does,
whenever you run out of memory. I believe this file is hidden by default. Most things I've read say to
leave it alone. That is, let Windows handle it. I don't think Page Files specifically apply to programs
like Premiere Pro and After Effects.

What are Preview Files?

A: Preview files are created by PPro when you hit the Enter-Return key and 'preview' changes
you have made to your video. You have the option to 'preview' files at full, on half, one quarter,
resolution. This smaller file size helps keep things moving while you try out different effects
by giving a 'simulation' of the edits.

Preview File location is determined in the overall Project Settings. Set this location before
you render any Preview Files.

Project > Project Settings > Scratch Disks...

I believe this setting is available for every new editing project, under the "Scratch Disks" tab instead
of the "General Tab."

Set this location BEFORE you render any Preview Files. Do NOT use Preview Files for export.

Looks to me like "Preview Files" can be deleted without worry.

What are Project Files?

A: I believe the Project Files are the 'history' of settings used when making edits to your video.
The Project Files and Preview Files are NOT the same thing. I think I'd like to save the Project Files
in the event I'd like to change a video later.

[color=#80BFFF](From Adobe Help: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/us ... jects.html )

A project file stores information about sequences and assets, such as settings for capture,
transitions, and audio mixing. Also, the project file contains the data from all of your editing
decisions, such as the In and Out points for trimmed clips and the parameters for each effect.
Premiere Pro creates a folder on your hard disk at the start of each new project. By default
this is where it stores the files it captures, the preview and conformed audio files it creates,
and the project file itself.

For every project you create, Premiere Pro creates a project file. This file contains the
settings you select for each sequence in the project, as well as crucial data about the assets,
edit decisions, and effects used in the project.

Premiere Pro doesn’t store video, audio, or still image files in the project file—it stores only
a reference to each of these files, a clip, which is based on the filename and location of the
file at the time you imported it. If you later move, rename, or delete a source file, Premiere Pro
can’t find it automatically the next time you open the project. In this case, Premiere Pro displays
the Where Is The File dialog box.

By default, every project includes a single Project panel. This acts as a storage area for al
clips used in the project. You can organize a project’s media and sequences using bins
in the Project panel.

A project may contain multiple sequences, and the sequences within a project may differ
from one another in their settings. Within a single project, you can edit individual segments
as separate sequences, and then combine the segments into a finished program by nesting
them into a longer sequence. Similarly, you can store multiple variations of a sequence, as
separate sequences, in the same project.

Note:

There’s no need to save copies of a project when creating different segments or versions of the same video program. Simply create new or duplicate sequences within a single project file.
[/color]

What are Scratch Files?

What is an Auto Save File?

What are Cache Files?

What are Render Files?

Are Preview, Render, Cache, and Auto Save files all the same thing?
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:27 pm

You've got it all right, Paz. :tup:

...and NEVER rely only on autosave projects, as autosave in Premiere Pro does not always work.
Peru

Postby Paz_Pazzaz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:46 pm

You've got it all right, Paz. :tup:

Oh, goodie! Now I can set up these hard drives to be most efficient and get to play! Um, work, that is. :fg:

THANKS!
Paz_Pazzaz
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro