They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Pr Pro export settings question

Premiere Pro discussions.

Pr Pro export settings question

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:36 pm

I have 5 long clips from the GoPro. Three of clips have unwanted extra video. I edited the three clips to sections I would like to keep to use in editing a project later and want to export in the highest quality. In PrPro CS6, I let the program decided what sequence settings by changing the settings when I placed the first clip on the timeline. In the Export UI panel, if I choose "Match Sequence settings" the quality is set to 50. The options are greyed out.

What would be the best settings? I was thinking .h264 with the preset HD 1080p.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Pr Pro export settings question

Postby sidd finch » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:09 pm

Mom it might be easier to just keep those as a sequence in a project and then just import that into your new project. That way you can continue to make changes to the original.

I have not tried to output using the system recommended best setting. I know that the H.264 adds minimal compression but it still adds compression. I am not 100% but I think the AVI 2 pass high bit rate will create the best file.

Sounds like a Bob answer is needed. :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:12 am

My goal was to trim unwanted footage sitting on my HD. With the SD cards, I am accumulating data at a fast rate. Add photos to the mix of 16bit PS edited, plus the raw files, and the jpgs. It is all adding up.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:11 pm

momoffduty wrote: It is all adding up.

That's why I've got quite a few external hard drives. I hate to delete anything. You never know when you'll need footage of the inside of a lens cover or audio of somebody asking me if I'm recording.
Peru

Postby Kent Frost » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:44 pm

I generally just convert everything down to MP4 format with 20-25Mbps encoding using Handbrake. Even that bit rate might be overshooting a little. But compared to the MOV files that come directly from the camera, it saves over half the space.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:13 pm

Peru wrote:
momoffduty wrote: It is all adding up.

You never know when you'll need footage of the inside of a lens cover or audio of somebody asking me if I'm recording.

:hyst: Same here. I've got a lot of B roll just in case for an art video. Plus, a ton of Mr. Dad asking me why I am shooting that.

Thanks Kent for the tip on settings. I'll keep that in mind.

What I will need to do sometime this year is buy 2 externals for old project files and old video. One for storage and one for backup of my video trash treasures. I have a lot of AE work that it is easier to open an old project to see my settings and how I did what I did than spend days trying to figure it out.

I am backing up on 2 externals and rotating them off site. All I want to do is shoot and edit.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:48 pm

Highest quality is obtained by not recompressing at all. CS6 can import sequences or entire projects. You can create a project with subclips or sequences with in/out points set that can be imported into other projects with no loss. You could also export to a lossless intermediate codec ( If you install GoPro Studio you will have access to the Cineform codec), but those are less compressed than your original.

If you are trying to save space, I wouldn't use the match sequence setting. That will give you an mpeg-I (all I frames) which is easier to edit, but is no where near as compressed as your original source. Unless you're cutting out substantial footage, you'll probably end up using more space.

If trying for space saving, export to h.264 with the bluray hd preset should be good. That, in essence, is what Kent is doing.
Bob

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:21 pm

momoffduty wrote:...With the SD cards, I am accumulating data at a fast rate. Add photos to the mix of 16bit PS edited, plus the raw files, and the jpgs. It is all adding up.

Maybe time to consider a four (or more?) bay NAS device?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:52 am

The time and energy it takes to re-cut to save space ends up taking way too much time for me. So I am a slave to buying additional hard drives. This is on ok fix but when a hard drive fails it is not so well received. I am hoping that the SSD price comes down and I can start moving over to SSD.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:55 am

Bob, I took a look at the .h264 HD Bluray preset. It appears to be in line with Kent's settings. However, I cannot change the frame rate to 60fps. If using the .h264 HD 1080p preset I can change the framerate and it does have a higher Mbps range. This Mbps setting can be changed on both presets if switching to 2 pass encoding. I am using CS6 and not the full version so dynamic link between AE & PrPro doesn't work. The dynamic link is available for the Adobe Media Encoder.

John, thanks for the NAS suggestion. We did talk about that a few years back and my eyes did glaze over. I am sure I am making it more complicated. :-8 If I had projects or footage that I would need often then that is the way to go. But, I have data that I just want to keep and maybe look at once in a blue moon so an external would work. If I did need a clip then I would just copy to the main hard drive.

Sidd, my SSD is for my programs and that is running close too. I installed some Digital Juice software and uploaded the full disc instead of previews where you would render from the discs. Not all of the discs, but quite a few before I caught my mistake. On my list to uninstall and reinstall, but it takes a full day of installing all the preview discs.

Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:01 am

momoffduty wrote:John, thanks for the NAS suggestion. We did talk about that a few years back and my eyes did glaze over.

Set up can be a little intimidating but after that it is just like having a huge amount of storage available - like having several HDDs in your desktop PC. And setting up sharing as a personal cloud is also reasonably straightforward.

The only caveat I would highlight is that using a NAS is not a backup solution. You still need backup of the NAS. But to my mind a NAS is so much easier than shuffling external HDDs.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Bob » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:09 pm

You're right. H.264 with custom preset based on HD 1080p. Not sure why I said Blu-Ray.

What version is your AE?
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks Bob for the clarification. I have AE CS6
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:52 pm

If space is an issue you could always store the files on Google drive or Dropbox. Not sure if you will have an ongoing need to keep adding but this might be a short term fix.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Sidd. I do have enough room to get me through this year. But, come January I'll have to transfer to externals. Dead of winter is good for computer drudgery.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Premiere Pro