They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Preserving .mts quality during export

Premiere Pro discussions.

Preserving .mts quality during export

Postby GerryB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:25 am

Good morning all,

I have been asked to send some clips from video footage for use in someone else's project.
The original files are .mts (1440x1080 @ 25fps with pixel aspect ratio of 1.3333, audio is 48000Hz) from a Canon HFG25 camera.

I have played around with various export settings in PrPro CS6 but none give me a sharp/crisp picture.

I even tried Quick Time (.mov) with no codec but that produced a file of 1.9GB, larger than the whole of the original file!! Ouch.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the settings to export to a quality file?

Many thanks,

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Preserving .mts quality during export

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:02 pm

Hi Gerry, I am assuming that the other person cannot use the mts files in their project for some reason. Can they not import that format into their editing application?

Any time you export a file and change format it is going to have some effect on the video, some more noticeable than others. If they can use the originals it would be best. Do you know what format their application will handle natively? It would be best to find out from them what the best format would be and then work with the quality settings in Media Encoder. Are you using an export function in Premiere Pro other than Media Encoder? Media Encoder would be your best option for a quality format conversion.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby GerryB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:43 pm

Hi Chuck,

They can use the mts file but they are a media production house with no knowledge of the sport. I'm selecting clips based on a written description and my knowledge of the sport.

I'm waiting for them to produce a specification and then I'm sure that PrePro or Media Encode will deliver but in the mean time......

Many thanks,

Gerry

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:13 pm

Hi Gerry, HDV MPEG2 with a high bitrate (25mb/s) and CBR may give you what you want. Even using H.264 which will produce an MP4 file should give you a good quality conversion but either way the size of the file may get rather large. Might be best to just wait for their specs so you only have to do it once.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Premiere Pro