They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Which way to go?

Premiere Pro discussions.

Which way to go?

Postby GerryB » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:52 am

Good day to you all.

Which way to go?

I started out with PreEl many moons ago and graduated to PrPro on PCs and have found the structure of PrPro suits my method of working. For instance, I like the multiple sequences or timelines a real boon.

Recently I spent at a week at a sport festival and had to use a MAC book (well someone had to do it!!) and so I installed PrEl11 for the editing and coding. I found it a major step backwards and not very easy to use. The need to close panels before I could open others was a real pain. I was also annoyed buy the way the video screen moved from side as different panels opened, not a very ergonomic layout at all. Why are the menus spread across the top, side and bottom bars of the screen?

When I came home I downloaded the trial copy of PrPro to the MAC, all was well until I discovered that a] Encore is no longer ‘in development’ and b] the CS6 version of Encore is not part of the trial package. Encore CS6 is part of the subscription service (CC) but it is a legacy piece of software.

I have tried iMovie but it does not meet my needs, good for clips to be uploaded to YouTube I guess but not anything more demanding. I have also tried Final Cut Pro and the lack of multiple timelines puts me off. I’m also not sure if FCP is still a current programme from Apple.

I also notice that iDVD is no longer supported in the app store.

The other oddity that I found was that I needed to use Compressor (from app store) to ‘conform’ a MP4 file to a structure that plays on PCs, MACs, etc. as well as web sites. Why does FCP not code the files correctly the first time? I know that PrPro uses Media Encoder to format output files but it is a one-step operation.

Where do Apple and Adobe think the world is going by dropping the DVD burn feature? Where I live there is still a large proportion of the Country who still have a slow broadband connection and so there is a need to send DVDs in the post.

Finally, my question is:
- Which software package is a suitable/good alternative to PrPro?
- Does it come in Windows and OSX flavours?
- Which one has multiple timelines, one-step coding of files and the inclusion of a DVD burn facility?
- Naturally cost is a consideration!

Thanks in advance.

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Which way to go?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:44 am

Well, there are certainly alternatives to Premiere Pro -- but IMHO Premiere Pro and Final Cut are the tops in their class. But, if you really need an alternative, Sony Vegas Pro is also very good, although it is PC only.

Yes, pro software has virtually eliminated disc authoring software from its packages. The belief is that discs are dead and that iTunes and other on-demand sites have virtually killed DVDs and BluRay rentals. (Red Box is hanging on -- but when was the last time you went to Blockbuster? Have you noticed that there are no Blockbusters left?)

It's only us amateurs who still make DVDs and BluRays (Well, us and wedding videographers). DVD Architect Studio and Pro are still available from Sony, but they are PC only. And iDVD is the only mainstream Apple software for authoring discs.

I'm sure there are still a number of good third-party disc authoring apps available from the App Store. Also, I think programs like Nero can do disc authoring.

Here's a list of disc authoring apps available for the Mac:
http://mac.appstorm.net/roundups/utilit ... s-for-mac/

But pro disc authoring software is a thing of the past, for better or worse. Although you may still be able to find old versions on Amazon and eBay.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby GerryB » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:18 am

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply.

I better keep my fingers crossed that Adobe keep Encore CS6 'live' for some time to come.

I will need to have some editing/coding software on the MAC for future events and given the learning curve for new packages I may opt for the Adobe CC offering on PrPro. At least then I will have the up to date programmes on both the desktop and the MAC albeit I won't own the discs!! I will make sure I keep the PrPro 6 discs for future use (on PC) just in case, that is if they will run on the next generation of Windows!

How the market has shrunk for editing as the Internet has grown. What does that say for progress?

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:02 pm

Progress?

I remember when cordless phones were shaking the world I knew up!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby sidd finch » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:12 pm

I think the market is sprinting towards online delivery. The market for DVD & BluRay is shrinking very fast. You see most new TV's having the ability to connect to the internet eliminating the need for DVD's for the masses. DVD players are hovering around $50.

From a technology perspective things are moving quite fast. Even if you did create DVD's in the future there might be a whole lot of folks that can play them. As hard as it is to believe DVD seems to be going the way of the VHS Player. To me this seems to be a result of the relative failure of BluRay. Folks want HD ad BluRay was not a seamless step forward.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:41 pm

You have to be very careful, but you might get lucky and find a genuine, unopened Mac version of Premiere Pro on eBay.
I was lucky to find a genuine, unopened CS5.5 Master Collection for PC a while back when I was looking for After Effects.

The big concerns are:
Will Adobe continue indefinitely allowing old versions to be activated?
Will they work on the newest hardware and operating systems?

I find it nearly impossible to go back to Pre El after using PPro.
Peru

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:28 pm

Adobe has stated that they will continue to sell CS6 versions of software indefinitely. You can still buy the official Premiere Pro CS6 in Windows and Mac versions from Amazon and Adobe. Adobe is download only.

If you are only going to be getting Premiere Pro, you can get a CC single product subscription for $20/month. It would take a little over three years of subscription to equal the retail cost of CS6 -- personally, I'd rather get the subscription and use the current versions. Another thing to consider, if you get CS6 you have issues running on both mac and windows -- you need two licenses one for each OS. If you run CC, you only need one license and you can install on any supported OS as long as it's the same user and you don't run both copies at the same time.
Bob

Postby Peru » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Good advice, Bob.

I am sticking with CS5.5 as long as I can because I have some plugins (Neat Video, Mercalli Pro, Vitascene Pro, Pixelan SpiceMaster Pro, 3D Six Pack, DissolveMaster) that will probably not work on a newer version and would be expensive to replace each time it becomes incompatible with a new version of Premiere Pro.

If I were using it in a business and making money with it, well then I could justify the expense. I can't justify spending the extra money for "just a hobby."
Peru

Postby GerryB » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:49 am

My thanks to everyone for their responses.

I'm inclined to go down the cc route as it is one subscription for a license for for both the PC and MAC, but I will keep the CS6 installed on the PC - just in case!

I suppose the day will come when we will be looking around for an obsolete DVD player to view the old films on the shelf. Just like the problems with cine film, VHS/Betamax tapes. How many people now have a machine with a floppy drive, of any size, not just the 1.4M variety????

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:22 pm

I really like the Adobe CC. Even though my subscription has gone up now to $50 per month from $30 I am still continuing with the subscription. There is no other way to have everything available whenever I need it and always have the most current version. Didn't think I would like it at first but it's been great so far, been using the CC for 13 months now.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby karri » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:02 pm

I just got an email reminder the other day that we can still get the CC suite for the first year for $29.99 if you own a previous CS version https://creative.adobe.com/plans

(the last chance tab, until May 29)
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Premiere Pro