They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DV AVI in an ACHDV project

Premiere Pro discussions.

DV AVI in an ACHDV project

Postby Matthew Max » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:39 pm

Should I expect to see any difference in the final exporting of a project set up for DV or ACHDV when I import DV AVI? In the ACHDV project, I expand the AVI to fit the project view window or nearly so.

I'm first exporting old PE 9 projects to avi to allow me to work with them in Pro, so I can work faster when dropping photos and doing other edits on top of the avi. Sometimes I want to work in an ACHDV project.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: DV AVI in an ACHDV project

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:15 pm

DV-AVI is standard definition and very lightly compressed. If you import AV-DVI into a standard definition project and export the finished project to standard definition, it's very unlikely that you will be able to see any loss of quality. If you import AV-DVI into a high definition (e.g. AVCHD) project the quality will depend on whether or you scale up the AV-DVI to match the larger frame size. If you don't scale up the DV-AVI, the quality will pretty much match the standard definition DV-AVI source, but, the standard definition video will not fill the high definition frame. If you do scale up the DV-AVI, the quality will degrade. in general, the scaled video will be less sharp, may have color fringing, may have jaggy edges, and, of course, you will be magnifying the noise as well. That's not to say it won't be acceptable. But, that determination will be yours to make.

Here is an article about up scaling that you may find useful. It addresses up scaling in Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop and discusses various plugins that could be used.
Bob

Re: DV AVI in an ACHDV project

Postby Matthew Max » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Very helpful as always, Bob. ¡Muchas gracias! Now I know exactly what to do.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Premiere Pro