They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Exports screen recording only in low res

Premiere Pro discussions.

Exports screen recording only in low res

Postby Matthew Max » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:36 pm

I have a problem that won't go away. In a variety of project settings, I try to export my screen recordings at about 1Mbps and even tell the AME to export as MP4 and to "render at highest quality," and I still get lower res. What am I not doing?

Right now I'm attempting to do this with a project that is mostly .wmv screen recording. I used to be able to export as I pleased. Not anymore.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Exports screen recording only in low res

Postby Bob » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:33 pm

I need more information. Please post a screen capture of your Export Settings panel so I can see how you are setting up the export.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:56 pm

Here's the screenshot, Bob. Thanks for your help. I may be in Haiti before I read your response, but it will be GREATLY appreciated when I can!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Bob » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:29 pm

OK, Matthew,

Thank you for the screen capture. Looking at it, I don't see anything terribly wrong, although you are doing some things that could reduce the quality. I have to ask, what exactly do you mean by low res. I know what I mean by that, but what do you mean?

The source is standard definition 720x480 (Fullscreen not Widescreen) NTSC interlaced video. Your output is standard definition 720x480 (Widescreen) deinterlaced video. Two things are happening here. First, you are changing the pixel aspect ratio from the fullscreen 0.9091 to the widescreen 1.2121. That will force resampling of the video. You probably won't notice any difference from that though. Second, you are deinterlacing the video. Interlaced video has two fields -- one with the odd numbered rows of pixels and one with the even numbered. Premiere deinterlaces by throwing away the second (upper) field and then recreates the missing lines using the first field by interpolating/blending the line above and below. Essentially you are losing half of your vertical resolution. If there's not much motion, this looks fine. The more (and faster) motion present, the more visible the deinterlacing becomes. Still, the degradation shouldn't be terrible.

Your bitrate settings leave me scratching my head. Your target bitrate is 1.0 Mbps and your maximum bitrate is 1.2 Mbps. That kind of negates the reason for using VBR in the first place. Essentially you are forcing the compressor to output something similar to constant bit rate (CBR). VBR can produce much better results than CBR, but only if it has room to manage the bandwith utilization. I'd kick that maximum bitrate up. Also, the target bitrate is pretty low. Why the 1.0 Mbps? 2.0 Mbps for web based viewing is pretty common. The lower the target bit rate, the lower the quality. 1.0 Mpbs is pushing the lower acceptable rate.

The Maximum Render Quality option is unlikely to affect your quality as you are not scaling the video. Enabling this option allows Premiere to use more sophisticated (but more compute intensive) algorithms to scale the video. If you were using HD source and outputting SD, for example, this setting can produce better and more accurate scaling.

The other optional setting "Render at Maximum Depth" has to due with the color bit depth, not resolution. If you are seeing banding in the output video, you can enable this option to allow Premiere to use a higher bit depth in its calculations to get smoother gradations. You probably won't need this if you aren't adding heavy vignetting or strong color grading. But, it's there if you need it.
Bob

Postby Matthew Max » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:22 pm

thanks so much for all this feedback, Bob. Now I will study it. I see there's a lot for me to understand.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Matthew Max » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:22 pm

Bob, I really, really appreciate all the time you took to answer my question. I'm still mulling over it. I think you solved more than one problem for me.

In regard to the target bitrate, this video is one of many I make for K-8 schools. And a lot of schools have pretty bad internet capabilities. However, I use a state-of-the-art video delivery service and could, if I wanted, upload 2.0 mps and let the service stream according to the schools' capabilities. But this is not interesting to me at this point, because I have 500 videos for them. One good thing is that I have converted so many files -- remade or updated them -- to mp4s. WMV is not my typical problem anymore.
Matthew Max
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Matthew Max wrote: I think you solved more than one problem for me.

That's Bob, can't imagine what we would all do without him and all of the great people that have gathered here :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Premiere Pro