They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Save to avoid repeated rendering?

Premiere Pro discussions.

Save to avoid repeated rendering?

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:42 am

I'm working on a short project, just under 53 seconds, in Premiere Pro CS6. Along the way I've run the warp stabilizer filter followed by the rolling shutter filter. Rendering for each took about 40 minutes.

Then I added a title and rendering again took about 40 minutes.

Then I decided to reduce the opacity of the footage at the opening. I added a single keyframe and suddenly the red bar indicating I need to render all over again has popped up. I've already rendered four or five times.

I'm guessing that each time this footage renders it is going through warp stabilizer and rolling shutter processing again. Is this right?

I've decided to export, matching sequence settings, which is going to give me a ".mpeg" file, to keep my 59. something frame rate and 1080p. Hopefully this will allow me to continue editing with the warp and roll locked in so future rendering won't take so long.

Is this the right way to go?

I've also been trying to figure out how to 'freeze frame' the last frame for a couple of seconds and after reading and reading web posts about how to do this, have pretty much given up on Premiere Pro to do that. It is easy with Premiere Elements 11. Which codec? file type? should I save in to be able to import into Premiere Elements?

thanks
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Save to avoid repeated rendering?

Postby Peru » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:52 pm

I've found that the easiest way to freeze frame is to trim the end of the clip to where you want the freeze and do a frame grab. Then put the frame grab on the timeline and extend it as needed.
Peru

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks, Peru. That worked! :exc:
Lenovo W70l; 1.6 GHz, i7 quad core, Win 7, 64 bit, 16 gigs DDR-3 RAM; NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800; Two 1T 7200 internal drives; BluRay burner
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:55 pm

Paz, a 40 minute render time on 53 seconds seems excessive, but depending on your computer it could take that long. My workflow is to make the edits and stabilize or color correct last. Those 2 seem to take a long time to render. I've not rendered the color correcting stuff if I am in a hurry and just burn the disc.

I quit changing the opacity of a clip a long time ago. It seemed that the whole clip would then have to be rendered. What I now do is place a black matte on the track above and fade in or out that way only the length of the matte shows it needs rendering. Generally the black matte is only about 3 seconds long.

Peru, nice tip on the freeze frame. Have to remember that one!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby _Paz_ » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:03 pm

What I now do is place a black matte on the track above and fade in or out that way only the length of the matte shows it needs rendering. Generally the black matte is only about 3 seconds long.

That's pure genius, Mom! Thanks!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:11 am

Most of what I've read about the stabiliser has been less than positive. I've been using the http://www.prodad.com/home/products/video_optimization/300391667,l-us.html stabiliser for years with great results. Here's an example of my granddaughters up in the mountains a year or so ago: https://vimeo.com/36423669 Rendering is measured in seconds, a minute or two at the most, in my experience, for clips of quite a few minutes. There are lots of configuration parameters if you want to try different things but the default settings work very well for me. I have NO financial interest etc. in Prodad - I just like what they do!

As for the freeze frame, I wasn't aware there was any other way - is there?
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Peru » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:39 am

Briantho wrote:
As for the freeze frame, I wasn't aware there was any other way - is there?

It can also be done like this:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/205/875481
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRQPsAVShVE
Peru

Postby Briantho » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:15 am

Great -- many thanks Peru!
24" iMac. 17" MBP. FCPX and a little bit of Premiere Pro. Nine recent Panasonic HD camcorders. Many (but never enough) terabytes of external storage...
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:29 pm

Freeze Frame - I got as far as setting the frame hold on either the beginning or the end, but did not come across the second video Peru posted that shows how to manipulate the footage to get the footage started again.

Peru's way is much better!

Thanks for the suggestion of Prodad, Brian. Just watched your skiing footage. WOW! What a difference!
That makes me wonder how much Prodad might make my surfing video look!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:59 pm

I've downloaded the Mercalli 3 stand alone version. I did not see anything saying how long the demo will last.

I ran it on a file with Rolling Shutter compensation clicked. It analyzed the footage, then said it needed to analyze again, so OK. After the 4th analyze I cancelled. Are multiples normal?
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Briantho » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:30 am

I don't recall having to analyse a single clip multiple times. :conf: It's always worked just perfectly/straight off for me.

Bit busy today (being dragged in all directions by granddaughters etc) but I'll take a closer look much later.
Briantho
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby _Paz_ » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:02 pm

>>A bit busy

Ah, the best kind of busy there is! With my own grandchildren over 1000 miles away, it was a quiet Christmas day here. I tried out the stand alone version 3 with another file, on glide this time, and that went through as it should, although every time I try the file I'm most interested in seeing I get the 'with the stabilize options selected you must analyze again' message.

That said, it appears the program has worked, it just doesn't know it. I was able to save a split screen version.

I'm going to begin a thread about ProDad's Mercalli in the Water Cooler section in hopes that forum members who use Mercalli but not Premiere will also chime in.

Again, thanks for letting me know about Mercalli, Brian. It's on my wish list!
_Paz_
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby IndyMike » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:26 am

I have seen where if you change a frame after using warp stabilizer has to re-analyze again that clip. I found that out by dropping a transition in. So I guess even if you render the timeline and save the project. If you go back and make any change to that clip it's going to need to analyze again.
i7860 8 GB of ram 1TB OS drive, 1TB storage drive and 2 USB back up drives. Canon Camera's Canon VIXIA HF G10 and Canon 70D
IndyMike

Return to Premiere Pro