They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Losing rendering when re-opening project

Premiere Pro discussions.

Losing rendering when re-opening project

Postby ChancyRat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:48 pm

Why would I lose rendering on sections of clips? I have tried several times to render and re-render. Rendering short sections (1000 frames), saving as I go along. Yet when I seem to have successfully finished, close and re-open the project, a new or same section has lost the rendering.

The video only has 2 video tracks, one audio, one title, but does have the complete 9 minute video warp stabilized. Other effects to adjust color, balance, etc. I have already exported one version of this that had the error with warp stabilization. The first version of the file was 350 mb.

Is it possible my avaiable 35 GB on my 150 GB hard drive, is now not enough?

if so, please remind me which of the temp files I can delete from these folders:
APP Preview Files
Achieved Layouts
Layouts
Styles
Trimmed_O-1 [my project is called O-1]

Thanks. I can't finish this without rendering.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Losing rendering when re-opening project

Postby ChancyRat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:07 pm

This time I'll really wait for your reply because I'm too worried about deleting wrong files. :)
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:17 pm

The preview files contain the render information.

What version of PPro are you using?
How many hard drives in your system?

If PPro CC, see this (read all of the posts):
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1251975
Peru

Postby ChancyRat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:29 pm

It's CS6. Are you saying I can delete all files from all the folders except the preview folder? I won't loose anything in the video if I do that?
Sorry, one hard drive. 4 GB RAM. Win7 Prof. From the dark ages. But I limped along fine with PE7, and since I did successfully export one version of this video, I know I should be able to make this work.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:38 pm

I read the thread on Adobe, thank you. Most of it is over my head. But - should I remove warp stabilizer as a test? I have no 3rd party plug-ins. What is AE? I'm not sure if I'm using it or not. Other than the above, I could not garner what else I should do. Advice welcome.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby ChancyRat » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:46 pm

I forgot to ask, what does Trash Preferences do? I see I should do that as well. This is done with Alt+Shift? What would I need to do then to reinstate preferences? Actually - which preferences are being trashed?
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Peru » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:15 pm

ChancyRat wrote:It's CS6. Are you saying I can delete all files from all the folders except the preview folder?
No, I was just referring to where the preview (render) files are.
I won't loose anything in the video if I do that?
Sorry, one hard drive. 4 GB RAM. Win7 Prof. From the dark ages. But I limped along fine with PE7, and since I did successfully export one version of this video, I know I should be able to make this work.

One hard drive is below the required minimum of two. I'm surprised that it runs at all with just 4GB RAM. See here for recommended disk setups (Click on the chart in the first post):
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972
Peru

Postby Bob » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Here is what the "alt" and "shift" keys do: Hold down the "alt" key when starting Premiere Pro and keep it down until the splash screen appears. This will reset the Preferences file to the default settings. If you do the same thing with the "shift" key it will reload the Plugins cache. Hold down both keys and it will reset both things.

Resetting the preferences is good if the preferences file has gotten corrupted somehow. I don't know that this is the case here. Losing the rendering after closing and reopening is a known problem with Premiere Pro CS6 and other releases. It definitely happens if the "write XMP ID to files on import" box is checked in the preferences. I would recommend unchecking that box first. From the menu Edit>Preferences and select the media category. About 1/3 up from the bottom you will see the "write XMP ID to files on import" checkbox. Uncheck it and click "OK".

The link Peru gave mentions the warp stabilizer as a possible cause, but I have never encountered that. I unchecked the "write XMP ID to files on import" box in my Premiere Pro CS6 preferences and have not had problems with any rendering being lost since. Warp stabilizer behaves itself quite well and does not cause this problem on my system.

AE stands for "After Effects", an entirely different program.
Bob

Postby ChancyRat » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:36 pm

I think I can say that warp stabilizer is part of the problem. What I've done since I last posted:
- Followed the instructions to Alt+shift on start up, unclicked the option "write XMP ID to files on import" in preferences.
- Repeated rendering; result on re-open after save: lost rendering. Repeated rendering, got same results.

Then, concidentally I have a new laptop that needed some final setting up before I could switch to it, so I focused on that. (I'll leave out the day I lost when after some 50 updates and re-starts, my internet connection was lost, repeatedly, which took me on a completely different path to assess problems with set-up, or with the new laptop, and then to get new cables and finally a new cable box altogether. That was exquisite timing.)

On my new laptop, completely up to date on Win7 Enterprise, installed CS6 freshly, updated as needed from Adobe. Copied in the preview file from the old laptop - HOPE THIS IS NOT WHAT i SHOULD SUSPECT?
- Had lots of fun gasping at the improved speed all along the way, along with being able to run other programs simultaneously with CS.
- Again did Alt-Shift, and unchecked the problem preference.
- Freshly rendered the file. Saved, reopened. LOST SOME rendering. Wahhhh. Tried again, same result.
- Removed warp stabilizer from the ~5 clips at the beginning, left it on the last clip that was about half the video. Same problem, lost rendering but only on the clip that had warp stabilizer.
- Removed warp stabilizer from the last clip.
- Success on first try, rendering and exporting.

So I went from: 150 GB HD with only 35 GB free, 4 GB RAM [I used to see the RAM maxed out when I processed a video]
To: 500 GB HD, 320 GB free, 16 GB RAM [I see only 3 GB RAM utilized during processing].

I guess I could try:
- Starting with a fresh project, not a preview file already known to have problems?
- I didn't have time to study this but would adding an adjustment layer be the best way to add warp stabilizer, rather than dropping it on each clip separately> PE7 didn't have this functionality. Is it recommended to be used for all effects (and anything else?)?

Other suggestions would be welcome. I basically have a final video that is so jiggly it shouldn't even be viewed. I did it for a friend though so I can't just delete it.
ChancyRat
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:00 am

Starting with a fresh project, not a preview file already known to have problems?
- I didn't have time to study this but would adding an adjustment layer be the best way to add warp stabilizer, rather than dropping it on each clip separately

Yes, definitely test with a fresh project. It may still not work, but at least you will have eliminated the project file from the equation. A bit of errant XML data in the project file can cause strange behavior and hang around for the life of the project.

Don't use an adjustment layer. Create a new sequence and add the original sequence to it. The nested sequence will be treated as if it were a single video clip and you can apply the warp stabilizer to that.
Bob

Postby ChancyRat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:37 pm

I meant to touch base about the hardware/sys specs needed for CS6.
Oh MY you would have been a downer for me if I'd known your recommendation before I got what I got.
:eek: :pull: [-X :-s
:hyst:

One hard drive is below the required minimum of two. I'm surprised that it runs at all with just 4GB RAM. See here for recommended disk setups (Click on the chart in the first post):
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/662972

OK I'm partly kidding, but I think for my purposes I will be fine. I don't do much more than small videos, nothing complex or needing most of the other CS applications. I'm a Lenovo-lover, Lenovo had a July 4 sale, I only wanted a laptop, and CS6 comes free via my employer, so those got me what I got. Totally scientific, eh? :whew:

I found this page as a useful reference - do you think it's a good analysis?
http://prodesigntools.com/products/adob ... ments.html
http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/files/2012 ... ID=2159997

As for my machine, do you think I will be okay with it? Specs below, not sure which ones are most important:

Processor Intel Core i7-3740QM (6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)
Operating system Win7 Enterprise
Total memory 16 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (2 DIMM) (will be upgraded to 32)
Hard drive 500GB HDD 7200rpm
Battery 9cell LI Battery TWL70++
Color Sensor W530 Color Sensor
Display Panel W530 15.6FHD AntiGlare WWAN CS
RAID Setting Internal RAID - Not Enabled
SIM Card for WWAN 2 NONE
Storage Adapter No Micro Solid State Drive
System Unit W530 NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB
System expansion slots TW530 Exp CS & 4-1 CR & Bezel
Essentials
# of Cores 4
# of Threads 8
Clock Speed 2.7 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.7 GHz
Intel® Smart Cache 6 MB
DMI 5 GT/s
Instruction Set 64-bit
Instruction Set Extensions AVX
Embedded Options Available No
Lithography 22 nm
Max TDP 45 W
Memory Specifications
Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB
Memory Types DDR3/L/-RS 1333/1600
# of Memory Channels 2
Max Memory Bandwidth 25.6 GB/s
ECC Memory Supported ‡ No
Graphics Specifications
Processor Graphics ‡ Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Graphics Base Frequency 650 MHz
Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency 1.3 GHz
Graphics Output eDP/DP/HDMI/SDVO/CRT
Intel® Quick Sync Video Yes
Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology Yes
Intel® Insider™ Yes
Intel® Wireless Display Yes
Intel® Flexible Display Interface (Intel® FDI) Yes
Intel® Clear Video HD Technology Yes
# of Displays Supported ‡ 3
Expansion Options
PCI Express Revision 3
PCI Express Configurations ‡ 1x16, 2x8, 1x8 2x4
Max # of PCI Express Lanes 16
Package Specifications
Max CPU Configuration 1
TJUNCTION 105 C
Package Size 37.5 x 37.5mm (rPGA988B); 31.0 x 24.0mm (BGA1224)
Graphics and IMC Lithography 22 nm
Sockets Supported FCPGA988
Low Halogen Options Available See MDDS
Advanced Technologies
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology ‡ 2
Intel® vPro Technology ‡ Yes
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology ‡ Yes
Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) ‡ Yes
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) ‡ Yes
Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT) ‡ Yes
Intel® Trusted Execution Technology ‡ Yes
AES New Instructions Yes