They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

video for TV broadcast

Premiere Pro discussions.

video for TV broadcast

Postby irispix » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:50 am

I will be shooting a video for TV broadcast.
I understand that digital movies to be shown on movie theatres need to be converted to 35mm.
What I need to know if it is the same for TV.
I will be editing in Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects.
In what format should I finish my video to be suitable for my purpose?

Also, any ideas what is a good camera in the $2,000 range that I should use?
irispix
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: video for TV broadcast

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Well, TV and even many digital movie theaters don't use 35mm. That's a film format.

For television, the standard is now hi-def. A BluRay would likely be acceptable -- although some TV stations set such high standards they won't even consider video shot on a consumer device such as an HDV or AVCHD camcorder.

I'd recommend checking with the broadcaster to see which video standards they demand.

If they'll only accept a professional video format, you may not be able to do it for $2000.

But, if they'll accept BluRay discs and HDV or AVCHD video, you should be able to get a very nice camcorder for that budget.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:31 pm

Here is a link to the PBS web page with links to various articles about producing video for PBS: http://www.pbs.org/producing/red-book/

In particular, here is one detailing the video format and camera specifications required: http://www-tc.pbs.org/producing/media/p ... evised.pdf

Here's a PBS web page about proporsal process: http://www.pbs.org/producing/proposal/
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby irispix » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:59 pm

Thank you guys for your comments. I'll be reviewing all those articles you suggested.

In the meantime: Someone is suggesting me to get the Canon EOS 7D... But isn't it's main purpose still images?
I am not sure that's the one I need. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again.
irispix
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:11 am

The Canon 7D also shoots hi-def video, and many pros and semi-pros are using it a video cam. (Don't confuse it with consumer Canon still cameras. The 7D has a street price of about $1,500 -- and that's just for the body! The lenses can add much more to its price.)
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:07 am

Almost all Local TV stations are still using HDV as their standard and their cameras are tape.
That may change in the future but for now that is the reality. I have a number of friends that work in the TV industry in Atlanta, one is a award winning cameraman. He is still using a tape based camera (worth well over $10,000 and broadcast quality) and editing with AVID (the industry standard for many years).

You will not find a camera that will shoot good enough video for Television for under $6000.
Not that you can't shoot with a lesser quality and have that broadcast, but not on network television.
It really depends on what kind of work you are going to be doing for TV. If it is commercials then you will need the best equipment possible as the competition already has it ;)

As far as format for broadcast goes every station will have options, the Apple Animation codec is very popular as the quality is excellent and can be easily edited. Others will take m2t files or even DV AVI for standard definition broadcasts. As Steve says, it is best to contact the stations you will be working with to see what formats work best for them and what they will accept.

Please let us know how you progress and what the TV people have to say :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Premiere Pro