They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

How much video will ProShow tolerate?

Standard, Gold & Producer. Talk with our experts about this great slideshow creating software.

How much video will ProShow tolerate?

Postby Henry111 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:52 pm

This Sunday, July 8, a man will be visiting Long Beach, CA for a nostalgic day aboard a sailboat (72-ft. schooner) that he sailed around the world back in 1947.
I will be documenting his day.
He will be bringing some photos from his around-the-world adventure that were shot during the voyage back in 1947, so I see this as definiely being a combination video and slideshow.
My question:
How much video will ProShow tolerate before things start going bad on me?
Any advice on the best way to approach this shoot will be sincerely appreciated.
Henry111

Re: How much video will ProShow tolerate?

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:53 am

The answer is...it depends. Depending on the codec, length of each video segment, the true answer varies. I would say just try it. If ProShow slows down too much for you or even worse, bites the bit bucket; then you will do the slides in ProShow and export them to PrEl to join the video segments. So the real answer is....just try it.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Henry111 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:27 pm

Thanks Vernon:
I have not yet tried to move PSG slides into PRE 7. I know, I should go ahead and try it, but thought I would hit you with this question anyhow:
If in PSG, I add special effects to a still slide, will the special effects travel along with the still slide into PRE 7?
If so, that sure would be great.
Henry111

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Henry,
The transitions, timing, and style packs will transfer to PrEl. The reason is because you will render your output and then use that movie file inside PrEl. Unfortunately, Gold does not output AVI. So you will have to use MPEG. This will lead to very slight image degradation since PrEl will want to convert the MPEG to AVI before editing and back to MPEG when you create the DVD. But I would not worry about it. First is that you may be able to do all of your video assembly inside of Gold. If not, then you will want to move to PrEl. If that is still not quite good enough, then I would upgrade to Producer and then export an AVI to PrEl. Producer has a few more options for video and the like. Take a look at the high level comparison here: http://www.photodex.com/products/prosho ... mpare.html

I have not done it, but there are some who have used an MPEG tool that works with PrEl that does not require the conversion to AVI step and back. I forget the name of it ?????MainConcept MPeg Codec. I have not used it, but it is another avenue if you choose to investigate. For the money though, I would probably upgrade to Producer first. It allows you too many cool tools in the slideshow arena to ignore.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Henry111 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:12 pm

Vernon, you anticipated my question.
Because of the AVI thing, I suspected that I would NOT be able to move a slideshow from PSG into PRE 7.
I searched all over and could find no direct way of doing it.
However, in the end, I DID manage to get my slideshow from PSG loaded into PRE 7.
How?
Now please don't laugh.
I loaded it from a DVD that I had burned from PSG. After it was in PRE 7 I inserted some video clips just to see if things would work. Worked good. Regarding quality: I have not made a comparason yet, but will.
Kind of a mickey mouse way of doing things, I suppose...
I guess I better get off my cheap seat and go buy Producer.
Henry111

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 pm

Henry,
Gold will output Mpeg. So no need to burn the DVD just to scrap it later. You can burn the Mpeg (that is what is on the DVD anyway) and use it inside PrEl.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:54 am

Henry111 wrote:Vernon, you anticipated my question.
Because of the AVI thing, I suspected that I would NOT be able to move a slideshow from PSG into PRE 7.
I searched all over and could find no direct way of doing it.

This is the answer to that problem:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4324#p39646

RJ has a million tricks up his sleeve.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:26 am

Great software for slideshows, but I encountered one big problem with videos.
The cut time is not respected: I tried to cut a segment of a long sequence, length was ok but it didn't start and end where I chose.
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:44 am

Proshow does not trim the clips. It set markers when you "trim" it in your show. Instead it reads the whole clip in and plays back between the markers. This is one weakness of Proshow. Otherwise an awesome product.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Francesco Carzedda » Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:00 pm

Yes, I mean that.
Sometimes, especially when sequences are long, it doesn't show the cut sequence I mean (excuse my poor technical English).
Yes, I agree, great software, always improving (and it has a reasonable price with free interesting updates for one year or even more).
Francesco Carzedda
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby AllieB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:20 am

VernonRobinson wrote:Henry,
The transitions, timing, and style packs will transfer to PrEl. The reason is because you will render your output and then use that movie file inside PrEl. Unfortunately, Gold does not output AVI. So you will have to use MPEG. This will lead to very slight image degradation since PrEl will want to convert the MPEG to AVI before editing and back to MPEG when you create the DVD. But I would not worry about it. First is that you may be able to do all of your video assembly inside of Gold. If not, then you will want to move to PrEl. If that is still not quite good enough, then I would upgrade to Producer and then export an AVI to PrEl. Producer has a few more options for video and the like. Take a look at the high level comparison here: http://www.photodex.com/products/prosho ... mpare.html

I have not done it, but there are some who have used an MPEG tool that works with PrEl that does not require the conversion to AVI step and back. I forget the name of it ?????MainConcept MPeg Codec. I have not used it, but it is another avenue if you choose to investigate. For the money though, I would probably upgrade to Producer first. It allows you too many cool tools in the slideshow arena to ignore.

Regards,
-Vernon

My output from Pro Show Gold is always an AVI-file. This is my workflow:

I make my slideshows with Pro Show Gold. I only put the slides, build-in effects and transitions and if it´s necessary to use keyframes I make a short clip (aprox. 8 sec.) in PREL which I import in PSG. Manually I cut the timing in PSG on 6 seconds which works fine. In PREL I use in all cases as preset PAL-AVCHD Full HD 1080i 25. I need to say that my slides are not bigger than 2000 x 1500 pixel according to Steve Grisettis advice.

In PSG I have a custom preset for publishing, 1920 x 1080 25 fps, which I use to make the basic-slideshow as I put audio and narration in PREL. The output from PSG is than an AVI-file which I import in PREL as a new file with the earlier mentioned preset (PAL etc. ) which works pretty good. To make possible to work smooth I put a small fade in, which causes PREL to put the red lineabove the timeline. After rendering I add audio, narration, transitions and effects and so on in PREL. Here I use freely the keyframe-possibilities from PREL.

As output from PREL I choose MPEG-2 (High Quality HDTV 1080p 25), which as next step will be imported in DVDAS for preparing a DVD with menus and markers, eventually combined with other slideshows.

I have to admit that my workflow seems not to be very straight on but gives a lot of freedom. On the other hand Pro Show Producer would be an option but from my point of view it is to expensive.

Please I am aware that English isn´t my native language but I hope you understnad the meaning.
AllieB
Greetings from Portugal
AllieB

Location: Patroves, in the south of Portugal but born in the Netherlands

Postby AllieB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:51 am

Hi all,

MediaInfo output: (please remember I made no further changes to the PSG slideshow as mentioned in my earlier post)

Algemeen
Volledige naam : F:\Foto´s 2000\Output\Foto´s 2000.avi
Formaat : AVI
Formaat/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Formaatprofiel : OpenDML
Bestandsgrootte : 1,19 GiB
Duur : 20mn 36s
Totale bitrate : 8 257 Kbps
Gebruikt programma : Lavf52.78.1

Video
ID : 0
Formaat : MPEG-4 Visual
Formaatprofiel : Simple@L3
Formaatinstellingen, BVOP : Nee
Formaatinstellingen, Qpel : Nee
Formaatinstellingen, GMC : Geen warppoints
Formaatinstellingen, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec-ID : XVID
Codec-ID/Hint : XviD
Bitrate : 6 705 Kbps
Breedte : 1 920 pixels
Hoogte : 1 080 pixels
Beeldverhouding : 16:9
Framerate : 25,000 fps
ColorSpace : YUV
ChromaSubsampling : 4:2:0
BitDepth/String : 8 bits
Scansoort : Progressief
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.129
Stroomgrootte : 988 MiB (81%)
Gebruikte encoderbibliotheek : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
ID : 1
Formaat : PCM
Formaatinstellingen, Endianness : Little
Formaatinstellingen, Sign : Signed
Codec-ID : 1
Bitrate-modus : Constant
Bitrate : 1 536 Kbps
Kanaal(en) : 2 kanalen
Samplerate : 48,0 KHz
BitDepth/String : 16 bits
Stroomgrootte : 226 MiB (19%)
Uitlijning : Uitgelijnd op interleaves
Interleave, duur : 23 ms (0,58 videoframes)
AllieB
Greetings from Portugal
AllieB

Location: Patroves, in the south of Portugal but born in the Netherlands

Return to ProShow Series Software