They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

ProShow vs Premiere for slideshows

Standard, Gold & Producer. Talk with our experts about this great slideshow creating software.

ProShow vs Premiere for slideshows

Postby Henry111 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:55 am

I have both Premiere 7 and ProShow Gold, and still attempting to learn them both.
Although I have created a small slideshow in ProShow Gold and found it easy to use, I am, nevertheless, more familiar with Premiere 7.
Now, for creating slideshows:
A number of people say use ProShow for slideshows rather than Premiere 7 but rarely say why.
A number of people say use Premiere 7 for slideshows rather than ProShow but rarely say why.
Would someone be so kind as to explain the advantages or disadvantages of one over the other for the creation of slideshows.
For example, in PE 7 I know that I will have more control over audio.
What about applying effects to stills in PE 7?
Please, I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm just a newbie who likes to know WHY.
Henry111

Re: ProShow vs Premiere for slideshows

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:12 am

It's not a debate at all, Henry. It all has to do with your goals.

Are you trying to create a video of your slides that will play on your TV? Premiere Elements is a video editing program.

Video is a relatively low resolution medium. Essentially 640x480 pixels. That looks fine on your TV but, if you want to show your slideshow on your computer, putting it on video will greatly reduce the detail in the pictures.

For slideshows for display on a computer, at full resolution, use ProShow Gold.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:43 am

Premiere Elements definitely has more available effects and functions, more control. I know people that do the basic slideshow in ProShow and then finish it up in Premiere Elements, and also folks that do it the other way around.
Basically both will give you excellent results if you know how to use the software. The combination of the two will provide excellent results if you are just doing slideshows.

I think most users of both software will tell you that if you are just doing photo slideshows you will be much better off using ProShow. You can use any size photos (no resizing needed) and the finished product is always excellent quality. Now if you add video into the mix things change. Premiere Elements will handle video much easier than ProShow and the tools in Premiere Elements cannot be beat.

That's my 2 Cents :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:14 pm

Henry,
I asked the same question almost two years ago. I am one of those guys who use both. I saw your post on the Enthusiast site. You have been given some excellent advice and insight. I use ProShow Producer, but this would still apply to Gold. ProShow's strength is in photos. The layering is simple and easy to understand. Allowing each layer to have it's own transition along with a transition for the slide makes for some unusual effects. All of these could be achieved in elements, but would take more work. However, if you start to intermingle video, then PrEl starts to shine. ProShow will do only rudimentary editing tasks (in/Out points, and some adjustment of the audio level). With PrEl, the depth and breadth of video support is outstanding. What I find myself doing is creating the slide show in ProShow and then exporting an AVI to use in PrEl. PrEl also has better DVD menu support. You get a real main menu with chapters, instead of ProShow's chapter only approach.

I find that I use them both. Each has its own strength and weaknesses. Just for clarity, many ProShow users will tell you that you do not need to reduce resolution. This is not true. While ProShow handles hi-res stills much better than PrEl, Each will have problems with 300 pics at 8MB each. So for smallish shows, it is ok to ignore the resize. But on larger shows, you will want to do that. It will make the handling of the graphics less intense on the machines. BTW, forget about putting a 10 minute AVI clip into ProShow. It will bring it to its knees. Don't ask me how I know :) .
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Henry111 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks so much everybody.
Steve's comment interest me particularly:
"...has to do with your goals."
My goal:
I am one of those newbies who has ambitions of doing promotional slideshows for paying clients. So the question of how those clients will view the DVD when I deliver it comes into play. Are they most likely to view it on their computer, or on their TV? Maybe both?
Advice will be sincerely appreciated.
Note: I already have a professional assignment: It will be a dog training slideshow.
Henry111

Postby Henry111 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Steve, after thinking this over a bit my head is beginning to spin.
Am I correct in drawing the conclusion from your: "...has to do with your goal" comment that I will need to provide the client with two DVDs.
One for viewing on their computer, and a second for viewing on their TV?
If that is the case, I assume that I would have to edit the slideshow two times, once in Premiere 7 and once in ProShow.
Will the climbing of these learning curves never end!
Henry111

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:37 pm

Keep it simple, Henry.

If your client wants something to watch on his TV or his computer, make a standard DVD.

If he wants something to watch exclusively on his computer and he wants a highly-detailed representation of the photos, give him a ProShow Gold slideshow.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Henry111 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:23 pm

Steve, please forgive me for being so slow.
When you say "...standard DVD" I assume you mean do it in Premiere because he wants to watch it on either or both.
If he just wants to watch on his computer do it in ProShow.
Have I got that right?
Henry111

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:51 pm

Hi Henry,
You can play a standard DVD on your computer DVD Drive or a DVD player connected to a TV.
You can play various other files on your computer that you cannot play on all DVD players.

Both Premiere Elements and ProShow can export many formats that can be watched on the computer.
And I believe that ProShow can also burn a standard DVD as well as Premiere Elements.

For large (3 mega pixels or larger) still images, ProShow generally does a better job with the quality.
So if you are doing all still images (Photos) then ProShow is the way to go.

Vernon's post is very accurate, be sure to read that one twice ;)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Henry111 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Vernon, Chuck suggested that I reread your post twice. I did that and like what you say. I hope you wont mind if I direct a couple of questions specifically to you.
About my stuff:
I have Photoshop Elements 7 where I do all of my editing.
I have Pemiere 7 on which I have so far made five videos.
I just recently (two weeks ago) acquired ProShow Gold and plan (tentively)--if I get this thing settled in my head--to upgrade to Producer.
I made one slideshow in PSG (only 56 slides) and really like it--the program that is.
But:
I was disappointed in the control it offers over audio--much better in Premier.
Then someone asked me: "If you have Premiere and know how to use it, why are you bothering with another program like ProShow, and that is what started all these question that I have been asking about: PRE 7 vs PSG.
As for the additional work that PRE might require, I don't mind that. Extra work is what you bill clients for.
Vernon, I get the impression from your post that it is a good idea to first creat the slideshow in ProShow, and then move it to PRE for the additional feaures (like audio editing) that PRE offers.
I'm not sure how to move it yet so I will ask another question first:
Once the slideshow has been moved and completed in PRE, do you burn it to a DVD in the usual way--for viewing on either a computer or a TV?
Henry111

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Henry111 wrote:Vernon, Chuck suggested that I reread your post twice. I did that and like what you say. I hope you wont mind if I direct a couple of questions specifically to you.
About my stuff:
I have Photoshop Elements 7 where I do all of my editing.
I have Pemiere 7 on which I have so far made five videos.
I just recently (two weeks ago) acquired ProShow Gold and plan (tentively)--if I get this thing settled in my head--to upgrade to Producer.
I made one slideshow in PSG (only 56 slides) and really like it--the program that is.
But:
I was disappointed in the control it offers over audio--much better in Premier.
Then someone asked me: "If you have Premiere and know how to use it, why are you bothering with another program like ProShow, and that is what started all these question that I have been asking about: PRE 7 vs PSG.
As for the additional work that PRE might require, I don't mind that. Extra work is what you bill clients for.
Vernon, I get the impression from your post that it is a good idea to first creat the slideshow in ProShow, and then move it to PRE for the additional feaures (like audio editing) that PRE offers.
I'm not sure how to move it yet so I will ask another question first:
Once the slideshow has been moved and completed in PRE, do you burn it to a DVD in the usual way--for viewing on either a computer or a TV?

Henry,
First take a deep breath and relax. Both ProShow and PrEl are two separate tools with different strengths. Every trade person in the world uses more than one tool :) and so will you. If there is anything beyond the simplest video requirements I work with PrEl. That is its strength. Video is not a strength of PrEl. However, if you are working primarily with stills, ProShow shines. Concerning audio, I would recommend you take a look at the shareware Audacity. It is not quite as accomplished as Soundforge and some of the others, but it handles most items quite well and without much fuss or cost.

Concerning DVD burning. I do not have a high def television, so I still use standard DVDs. As was mentioned, a standard DVD can play on a television or a DVD drive on your computer. ProShow will allow you to create an EXE file where you can specify the resolution to match the display device (e.g. computer monitor, projector, etc.). The EXE seems to embed the CODEC in the EXE stream, so the user does not need to have a particular piece of software installed (e.g. Flash, Quicktime, etc.). A small point, but important.

It is only my opinion, but in a few short years, everyone will be using high def. The cost keeps falling. The reason I mention this goes back to your first question. If you downres your pictures too much, it will not support the full HD spec. In this case, the BluRay player will have to upres your show. While better than not, it is not optimal. So if you think you will need to operate in the High Def arean, then plan accordingly.

My sense of what you are doing right now, though would be to create a standard DVD and let your customers indicate when you need to make the upgrade to High Def. Both ProShow and PrEl will be there to help you make the transition easily.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Henry111 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Vernon, how do I say thank you? I cannot count the ways.
I mean, like I got it.
My head has stopped spinning those questions.
I hope that someday I will have sufficient knowledge that I do will be helpful to some other newbie like me.
By the way, I just completed my first slideshow and uploaded it to photodex. I am not sure I am allowed to post the link, but I'll give it a shot.
Criticisms from anyone will be sincerely appreciated.
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 7674&alb=0
Henry111

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Nicely done Henry img0225

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Henry111 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks, Chuck.
I could not have done it without the help I received from you and Steve and the other good folks on this site.
And the cretiques have been a tremendous help.
Henry111

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:12 pm

And thank you, Vernon, for clarifying it all!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to ProShow Series Software