They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

ProShow 4.0 available

Standard, Gold & Producer. Talk with our experts about this great slideshow creating software.

ProShow 4.0 available

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:51 am

Photodex released ProShow 4.0. Looks to be a major upgrade. I have not had time to work with it yet. Maybe this weekend. But the initial reviews are quite good. The one feature getting the most buzz seems to be "slide styles". These are "one slide templates" that allow you easier access rather than using a Project file and doing a lot of cutting and pasting.

The interface has changed. It seems that people like a lot of the changes, but a lot of the tool locations have changed. Can anyone say Microsoft Office 2007?

Here is a sample show from Photodex.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/spotlig ... shows_psp4

Here is a more complete list of features:
http://www.photodex.com/support/revisio ... index.html

Good luck,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: ProShow 4.0 available

Postby Bob D » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:21 pm

Vernon,

Are you going to try the Producer or Gold version? I didn't go with the Gold v3 release, because I thought in v4 they might have AVI as an output format - but no such luck. I don't have ProShow but always find it interesting. I've had some trouble getting it to work well on my computer in prior releases, but I think this software could be exceptional for those doing slide shows.
Let us know how your efforts turn out!

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby codebreaker » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:46 am

I've been a Proshow user for some time now and took the opportunity of Photodex's loyalty program to update to Producer V4 from PSG 3.2 at a reduced price.

While there are some very worthy features in Producer that I'll get around to using when I find out how to, the first release had some problems with the output when using motion effects. There was a noticeable wavering of some images which never occured in PSG3.2.

I did inform Photodex, as did others most likely, and there was a new update a couple of days back which seems to have made things better.

In my opinion Proshow is far better at slide shows than Premiere.

Colin

My Web Site

Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints
codebreaker

Postby Barb O » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Vernon, thanks for posting. I have considered ProShow Gold so it is interesting to know that they have a new version. What is the current process for people who have ProShow Gold (not Producer) and Premiere Elements for combining a photo slide show and video?

As Bob D mentioned, I also would have hoped that a new version of ProShow Gold would include an option to output a DV-AVI file. Does anyone edit a video in Premiere Elements and then add that video to ProShow? Is that practical if I have mostly photos and only a small number of short video clips?
Barb O
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:37 am

Barb O wrote:Vernon, thanks for posting. I have considered ProShow Gold so it is interesting to know that they have a new version. What is the current process for people who have ProShow Gold (not Producer) and Premiere Elements for combining a photo slide show and video?

As Bob D mentioned, I also would have hoped that a new version of ProShow Gold would include an option to output a DV-AVI file. Does anyone edit a video in Premiere Elements and then add that video to ProShow? Is that practical if I have mostly photos and only a small number of short video clips?

Barb,
Sorry to be slow in responding. Between work, family, and the freezing cold.... But to answer your question is a little bit confusing. It seems that Photodex is keeping the AVI option on the Producer product at the moment. I guess they figure it is a market differentiator. If you want/need that function, then you will also want/need keyframing capability and the like. However, when it comes to editing a movie, ProShow is weak. It has none of the features and functionality that you have become accustomed to in PrEl. Basically you can put a clip on a slide, adjust the in/out points and that is about it. If you truly only have a few clips, then this would be acceptable. Also, since you have PrEl, you can fine tune your clip and then add it to Gold. Gold just does not have the ability to export the AVI.

So to be clear, just drop your AVI or Mpeg onto a blank slide/layer and you should be good to go. Adding a lot of video will slow ProShow down. I recommend using PrEl and export via the WorkBar only the clips that you need. This will lessen the resource requirements in Gold. Creating a slideshow in ProShow is easier than PrEl, but when it comes to editing video, it is all PrEl.

HTH,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:41 pm

I'm not a user of Proshow, but I decided to download Proshow Gold 4.0 and look at the export/output options to see if DV-AVI is available.

No and Yes. No, it's not DV in an AVI container, but there is DV in a MOV container. Just pick Quicktime for the Format, pick Apple DV/DVCPro (pal/ntsc) for Compression, set the resolution and framerate to the respective NTSC or PAL standard, 720x480 29.97 or 720x576 25. When you add the file to Premiere Elements 7, you will need to interpret the footage if it's widescreen. Even though I selected 16:9 (Widescreen) for the aspect ratio in Proshow, PRE7 lists it as 4:3.

When you drag the clip to the timeline in PRE7, there will be NO red line, meaning the clip doesn't need to be rendered, it's ready to go just like a DV-AVI from a MiniDV camcorder.

Along the way I kept getting this error message that some .dll was missing. I didn't crash and was able to export successfully.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ron » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:54 am

RJ Johnston wrote:...but there is DV in a MOV container.When you drag the clip to the timeline in PRE7, there will be NO red line, meaning the clip doesn't need to be rendered, it's ready to go just like a DV-AVI from a MiniDV camcorder.

That is great to know, thanks!!
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:45 am

Robert,
You never cease to amaze. That is some great sleuth work.

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Doreen L. » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:42 pm

I was wondering if anyone has bought ProShow Producer 4 and what are your opinions. I have Producer 3 and love it.

I got an email the other day from Photodex for their new Style Pack 1 and thought it was great. However, it can only be used with version 4. I took a look at the demo for Producer 4 for the first time and there seems to be a whole new, easier to use interface. I'm very tempted (at $89. upgrade) but love to have some input.
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:44 am

Doreen,
I have Producer version 4. It is a good change from Version 3. However, allow yourself some time to get familiar with the interface. They have moved things around enough so that initially you will do a lot of searching. Overall, I like the new interface. An improvement is the addition of slide styles. It is not quite as big as you might initially think. With version 3, you could use a Project along with template or shows to accomplish the same. But ease of use is slightly improved.

They have added a multi layer keyframe editor. This allows you to see the keyframes from multiple layers in one window. This greatly helps in tweaking your layer interactions. While not quite as good as the keyframe editor in PrEl, it is a big step in the right direction.

A virtually unexplored/unexplained addition is the use of Modifiers. This feature is brand new. This allows you to develop even more complex motion sequences with very few keyframes. I have not experimented with them at this time. Some of the feedback indicates that it is still a buggy feature. My take on it is that Photodex has not explained the what or how of it, so the expectations of how to use it and how it should work are varied.

Overall, I would recommend the upgrade.

HTH,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Doreen L. » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:42 am

Vernon - Thanks for your input. I downloaded the trial and I have to say I really like it. It did take a little while to get use to the new interface - I even looked at the instructions. But as I'm getting use to it, I like most of it better than version 3. The keyframing is expanded and more simple to use. I like that you can work with video. I really like the Styles feature. And the program has been completely stable for me so far.

I agree that this is worth the upgrade. I also like the idea of the Style Packs.
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:03 am

No problem. Glad that you like it. Photodex is really getting into the incremental revenue side of the business. First they offer live training classes. Now they come back with Style Packs. Beyond the yearly upgrades, they are really stepping up their business model.

I wish they would put more effort into the video side of the business. Beyond just basic trimming of the video, they leave a lot to be desired. Also, it seems that their implementation of video is quite resource intensive. This area needs more focus.
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby cate » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:34 pm

i have had continual problems with proshow identifing my dvd burner. i have to record in power 2 go. the xl download i had previously worked fine but i have quality problems with both programs . the quality on the screen is excellent but the dvd looks like reg tv on hd - fuzzy. anyone have any sucess with this
thanks
cate
cate
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi Cate,
I highly recommend starting a new topic, more people will see your questions and be able to help you that way ;)

Welcome to Muvipix, I'm sure you will like it here :meet:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby VernonRobinson » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:17 am

Welcome Cate,
Unfortunately, many people have problem with the burning engine in ProShow. That is why many people burn an ISO file and then use another application like NERO or the free ImgBurn to create the final DVD. Burning to ISO is not a bad idea with ProShow if you think you would like to make additional copies later. ProShow will want to render all of your materials again. You can avoid that with the ISO file.

I do have a couple of questions. Are you able to burn successfully with any other application? I am not sure, but from reading your message, it sounds like you are unable to get a successful burn anywhere. In this case I would recommend that you uninstall and let Windows reinstall your CD/DVD burner. You can accomplish this by going to Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/DVD CD-Rom drives. Delete your DVD drive from this list and restart Windows. Windows will reinstall the DVD burner. This has been known to cure a lot of problems. Try that and let us know how you are getting on.

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to ProShow Series Software