They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

IDE Drives Sold Out

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

IDE Drives Sold Out

Postby RJ Johnston » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:48 am

I went into Fry's Electronics to buy an IDE hard drive and found that they no longer sell them. All gone. So I bought a SATA controller on a PCI card and a SATA drive. All of that works okay, but now I'm wondering if there is a way to make the SATA drive the primary boot drive. My Dell Dimension 3000 P4 computer came with primary and secondary IDE controllers. The BIOS doesn't list the SATA drive, so I'm thinking that I'm out of luck. Is it possible and practical?
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: IDE Drives Sold Out

Postby sidd finch » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:09 pm

I thought the physical drive had a small jumper (J50) that when connected makes the drive the boot drive and when removed it makes the drive a secondary drive.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby VernonRobinson » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:09 pm

RJ,
It may be a function of the SATA Controller card that you have. I recently put a 1 TB drive in a Pentium IV 2.8 Ghz machine. The bios does not recognize the drive, but the bios on the Controller Card was discovered by the Operating System when I reinstalled XP. So XP is running on the 1 TB drive even though it does not show in the bios.

HTH,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby RJ Johnston » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:17 am

Thanks guys. Now that I know it's possible, I 'll be more confident in installing XP on a SATA. I also ran into a problem when XP asked me to insert a floppy in drive A with any required 3rd party SCSI drivers, etc. I didn't have a floppy. The driver was only on a CD.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Computer Issues