They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Question for the Security Experts

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Question for the Security Experts

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:28 am

Will Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.5x64 for Vista (64-bit) also work with Windows 7? I am assuming the answer is no.

My HP Windows 7 computer for internet use comes with a trial vesion of Norton but I have not yet agreed to activate it--because I've read here on muvipix that, once activated, it is notoriously difficult to uninstall.

Please advise.

Thank you.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Question for the Security Experts

Postby Bobby » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:55 am

I don't know anything about Endpoint Protection - I just stick with Norton Internet Security. But Windows 7 is really Vista re-heated in the microwave for lunch after last night's bad dinner, so I would assume that it would work OK - pardon my sarcasm.

Recent versions of NIS (2009+) uninstall quite well. Again, I know nothing about Endpoint...
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Bobby wrote:I don't know anything about Endpoint Protection - I just stick with Norton Internet Security. But Windows 7 is really Vista re-heated in the microwave for lunch after last night's bad dinner, so I would assume that it would work OK - pardon my sarcasm.

Recent versions of NIS (2009+) uninstall quite well. Again, I know nothing about Endpoint...

Bobby, that computer is the one that my wife uses to visit all sorts of sites--especially shopping sites :yh: --so I'd like to install a security suite ASAP. Now that you've allayed my fears about uninstalling it, I guess I'll go ahead with the NIS that comes with it.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:58 pm

that computer is the one that my wife uses to visit all sorts of sites--especially shopping sites

In that case, I'd really recommend staying with Norton Internet Security. It's designed for that type of use and is quite good. It probably has more protective features than Endpoint which is designed for a business environment where that type of activity is frowned upon.

As far as Norton being difficult to uninstall, That has been the case in the past. But, Symantec has been getting much better about that so it's not the problem it used to be. However, Symantec has for years provided an uninstall tool which will remove all traces of all Norton products. (http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?OpenDocument&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us). Run the normal uninstall first. If you encounter problems uninstalling normally, you can run the tool. Since this is a new system, don't forget to make a backup image and make a system checkpoint to roll back if you desire.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Bob wrote:Since this is a new system, don't forget to make a backup image and make a system checkpoint to roll back if you desire.

Whoa, Bob! Still another stunningly complete answer. Thank you!

In other words, before activating NIS first create a mirror image of the present system and then also create a System Restore Point so that, if I need to rollback and System Restore fails to do the job, I can then retreat to my mirrored image?

If that is what you are suggesting, then I am happy to tell you that it is EXACTLY what my paranoid self was intending to do.

It's so much better to be like this :- than this :pull:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:04 pm

I think Bob's comments about a checkpoint and image were general comments after having installed a new system - to keep a "clean" copy if you ever have to get back to it - rather than a comment on the veracity of NIS. You should have no trouble with NIS - I have installed it many, many times.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:04 pm

Bob wrote:
that computer is the one that my wife uses to visit all sorts of sites--especially shopping sites

In that case, I'd really recommend staying with Norton Internet Security. It's designed for that type of use and is quite good. It probably has more protective features than Endpoint which is designed for a business environment where that type of activity is frowned upon.

As far as Norton being difficult to uninstall, That has been the case in the past. But, Symantec has been getting much better about that so it's not the problem it used to be. However, Symantec has for years provided an uninstall tool which will remove all traces of all Norton products. (http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?OpenDocument&seg=hm&lg=en&ct=us). Run the normal uninstall first. If you encounter problems uninstalling normally, you can run the tool. Since this is a new system, don't forget to make a backup image and make a system checkpoint to roll back if you desire.

Bob, would you recommend Norton 360 or just the 2010 anti-virus for her?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Neither George. Norton 360 has always had issues and doesn't provide more protection - just some backup, etc. What you want is Norton Internet Security. Period.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:33 pm

I agree with Bobby. Get the current version of Norton Internet Security. Norton Antivirus is a separate product and not the same thing at all. Antivirus protection is contained within Internet Security.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:28 pm

Bob wrote:I agree with Bobby. Get the current version of Norton Internet Security. Norton Antivirus is a separate product and not the same thing at all. Antivirus protection is contained within Internet Security.

Interestingly, when Win7 offered me a list of vendors from which to purchase a security program and I clicked on "Norton from Symantec," Norton Internet Security is not to be found, neither on the Home and Home Office tab nor on the Mid Size Business tab, which are the only tabs offered.

But when I go to the B&H web site, I see the 2010 3-License version of NIS, which works with 7, listed for $39.95.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:41 pm

George Tyndall wrote:...Interestingly, when Win7 offered me a list of vendors from which to purchase a security program and I clicked on "Norton from Symantec," Norton Internet Security is not to be found, neither on the Home and Home Office tab nor on the Mid Size Business tab, which are the only tabs offered...

I never trust anything MS offers. Just buy and install NIS.
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues