They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

External Hard Drive

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: External Hard Drive

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:32 am

Yes, they will come with software already on the drive.
Some if it is trial stuff others may include backup software and installation files.
You can get rid of everything.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:09 pm

Chuck Engels wrote:Some if it is trial stuff others may include backup software and installation files.
You can get rid of everything.

WD drives typically come with backup, synchronization, and drive management software. It's a good idea to reformat the drive to NTFS; you can re-download any of the preloaded software here: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=36. Unless it's connected by eSATA, the preloaded software is unnecessary (see this thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2379). WD's Data Lifeguard software is pretty useful and isn't a resource hog, but it basically just duplicates tasks you can do with XP, but in a friendlier interface.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob D » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:01 pm

MY WD drive came with a set up application. It basically asked me if I wanted google desktop and some other junk. I made sure none of that was checked and let it go. Basically not much happened. When I reformated to NTFS it warned about data on the drive. I looked at the folders and basically decided that it could all go. So far, not problems with the drive. I've been putting stuff on it all weekend. It did not have backup softeware with it.

I did also purchase a Seagate Freeagent 750gb yesterday too ($199-20%+tax). Price was a bit cheaper than my WD and I believe it comes with backup software. This way I can backup what I have on my WD and be aable to sleep at night.

EDIT: Just saw the Seagate drive on Officemax.com for $128(USD) with coupon of OFFICE (+tax). Needless to say I ordered this and the store bought one will be going back.

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Make a folder on your C: drive and just move or copy the files and folders from the ext HD to that. Then you can reformat.

I never use the supplied software anyhow, so no issue for me.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Computer Issues