They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

System restore

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

System restore

Postby ridon127 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:00 pm

I have been battling with HP for months over my laptop. They won't let me talk to a tech without paying for a service contract, I did finally get thru to one this week. He sent me 3 CD's so that my computer would be the way it was when they shipped it out. Now the problem is, I can't get back to a tech without buying a service contract. Instead of sending me a system restore CD, they sent me a whole new operating system CD. When I try install it, it says I can't have 2 OS on the selected drive because it could cause problems. So rather than call them back and put up with their BS, can you help me? I have my original system restore CD I purchased with the computer but will I be able to use the CDs that have all the microsoft programs like the drivers, Quicken, etc and the Quick Play installations. What do you recommend? I have thought about doing live chat with a tech but I get so mad trying to make them understand.
Thanks
Donna
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: System restore

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:10 pm

Donna,
Do you have all of your important files backed up?
If you do a complete system restore you will lose anything and everything your computer.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:00 pm

I have backed up what I want to save. There isn't anything on there right now.
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Start by putting the new Operating System (Windows XP?) in the CD drive and reboot the computer.
Your computer should boot from the CD and ask you if you want to install the OS and if you want to format the drive to do so.
You will need to answer yes to those questions, let the system format the drive (this will erase everything) and install the OS.
After that you will be able to use the Driver CD to install drivers and make sure everything is working.
I would also recommend checking at the HP site for updates to your BIOS and any drivers for your system, might as well get it all up to date at the same time.

Let me know if you have any problems, we can do a live chat here if we need to.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:10 pm

Thanks Chuck. I am going to do it later this evening when the girls are down. I may have to give you a shout when I do..
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:16 pm

I am still at work, leaving shortly.
Have to stop at the grocery store on the way so I probably won't be home until 8pm Eastern.
45 minute drive between work and home (23 miles), but that is Atlanta for you. Then add a half hour or so at the grocery store.

After I get home it will be time to eat dinner, then get our 6 year old to bed and then I will have some time to check on your progress.
I will probably get back to the forum around 9:30 - 10:00 eastern tonight. If I am not around there is always somebody that can help, this is an amazing place :)
I will be checking on you later and it would be great if everything went nice and easy.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:39 pm

I understand about the traffic. Houston is just as bad, I left work today at my normal 2:30. I am usually at the girls school by 3 if I hurry and don't get in a traffic jam..Today there was a wreck on the loop and I didn't get there until 3:25. It is 20 miles to the job. Yesterday we had people that were almost 2 hrs late for work because of a fatallity accident on the SW side of town. It is a mess.

I will probably get them down around 8 and then see how it goes. This is supposed to restore my computer back to factory specs. I appreciate your help. I don't know what I did before Muvipix.
Donna
:::muvipix:::
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:57 pm

HP has an option which allows you to create a series of CDs or DVDs to restore the computer to its original configuration.
to create them go to programs->PC Help and Tools->HP Recovery CD-DVD Creator.
It wil allow you to create only 1 set
An alternate solution is to recover using the recovery partion. You can get to this screen by pressing F10 (I think) while booting the PC, and then choose system recovery. This will allow you to recover from a recovery point, or you can recover to the original configuration.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:45 pm

Chuck,
As usual, this isn't going well. It says I can't load two OS on the same drive as it could result in one program not operating correctly. Then when I try to load just the drivers, an error ocurrs, and the other disk with the applications, it does nothing. I am going to give it up for the night. It has been a long crazy day.. Is it a full moon by any chance?LOL
Thanks
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:48 pm

Alright, we can tackle this another time. Doing what Johnny suggests by pressing the F10 key is promising if it will restore everything for you.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:27 pm

Chuck,
One night when are not doing anything, I would like to try to get that computer stuff done. We have had some really bad storms this weekend and it is probably a good thing we didn't try Friday or Saturday night. It was a horrible night. I appreciate all your time. I don't see how you do all you do.. You are amazing.....
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:37 pm

Thanks Donna, glad you made it through the storms ok.
We got hit with the same bunch today in Atlanta.

Try Johnny's suggestion, while the computer is booting up press the F10 key.
You may have to keep pressing it over and over again until the menu appears, but give it a shot.
If that will restore your computer to the original state that might be ok.

If that doesn't work we can reformat your drive and then install the new OS.
Then you will have a system without all of the extra HP junk and it will be better anyway.
The other part is updating the drivers and getting everything working correctly it can be done pretty easily most of the time.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:24 pm

I tried the F10 and it was some options about changing the bios. I don't think that is what I want. is it?
Thanks
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Need help with System Restore

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi Donna,
No, that probably isn't what you want.

I am thinking you might need to go into the Bios to change the boot order though.
You should have it set to boot from CD first, then put the Install Disc for the O.S. in and it should boot to that.
Then it should simply ask you if you want to install and format the drive.

Other than that it can be very difficult to format the primary system drive without some special tools.
Does anyone have any other ideas?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:05 pm

I guess not all HPs are created equal. For me F10 starts restore, and esc allsws me to edit the bios.

You can create recovery CDs by going to the followin from the star menu:

programs->PC Help and Tools->HP Recovery CD-DVD Creator.

Do you have that path in your start menu?

If you create them, you can boot from those and it will restore your system to its original configuration
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Computer Issues