They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

System restore

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: System restore

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:14 pm

Now that is a good idea Johnny, give that a try Donna.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:00 pm

Johnny,
I don't have that path on my laptop. Mine made a trip to the Geek squad and nothing has been the same since. They did a system restore but the only thing on it was the OS. I had bought a backup CD from HP when I purchased the computer. When I got it back, it wasn't like it was when it came from HP. THe GS said I should have more than one CD. I have been battling with HP for months and finally got a tech that said I should have 3 CDs. I finally got them the other day and it is a new OS, not a recovery or back up CD. It says if I install the OS it could make the system not run properly with 2 OS installed. I tried to install the other CDs but it won;t let me. My computer will work, but it isn't as good as it was before. I have poorer video quality which the GS said is because of the way I compressed the files. I haven't changed anything as I probably don't know how.. :oops: I can use it for editing my photos but any video has to be done on my PC. It really isn't a big deal. My hubby likes to use the computer every now and then and just doesn't like all my stuff on the PC.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Donna
Go out and make it a great day. The choice is yours!
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:54 pm

Then the only thing left at this point is to format the primary drive and install the operating system.
It would be a whole lot easier if I could do it for you. Let me see if I can find some helpful website with some instructions.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ridon127 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:00 pm

Chuck,
You are right about it would be easier if you could do it for me...It is not a pressing issue. I will look also. Thank you so much
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:02 pm

Well, I didn't find anything worthwhile so far so let's go about this another way.

You will need to go into the system BIOS and set the boot order to boot from the CD Drive first.
To get to the BIOS you will need to press either F2 or ESC while the computer is starting up, not sure which one for your computer.
Once it is set to boot from the CD you should be able to put the Installation disc in the CD drive and restart the computer.
It should start up in installation mode and ask you if you want to format the drive.

Can you get this far do you think Donna?

If you don't want to fool around with the BIOS I understand but someone will have to do it.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:34 am

Hope that these two links help. On the HP link there is a heap of stuff about how to change the BIOS - far too much to cut and paste here.

Hope this all helps. :eek:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... =c00007682

Entering the BIOS Setup utility
You may have difficulty accessing the BIOS Setup utility screen, because you must press a specific key (usually F1 , or Esc ) very quickly before the Windows screen appears. If you do not enter the BIOS Setup screen on your first try, repeat the following steps until you are successful.
To open the BIOS Setup screen:

Turn off the computer and wait about 5 seconds.
Turn on the computer.
When the first screen appears, press the F1 or F10 key on the keyboard. (You can press the key more than once.) The BIOS Setup Utility Main menu appears.
NOTE: On certain Compaq Presario PCs (prior to 2002) press the F10 key at the logo screen to enter setup.
Use the keyboard to navigate through the menus.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316941

Perform a clean install of Windows XP

A clean installation refers to removing all data from your hard disk by repartitioning and reformatting your hard disk and reinstalling the operating system and programs to an empty (clean) hard disk. You should back up all important information before you perform a clean installation of Windows XP.

For more information about important things to consider before you partition and format you hard disk and how to partition and format your hard disk by using the Windows XP Setup program, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
313348 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348/) How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
After you have backed up all important information, follow these steps to install Windows XP:
1. Start your computer from the Windows XP CD. To do this, insert the Windows XP CD into your CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, press any key to start the computer from the Windows XP CD.
3. At the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to start Windows XP Setup.
4. Read the Microsoft Software License Terms, and then press F8.
5. Follow the instructions on the screen to select and format a partition where you want to install Windows XP.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Windows XP Setup.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby ridon127 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:39 pm

:oops:
Do I dare try this? Ahhhhhhhhh, No. I don't think I want to screw it up anymore than necessary. Thank you for you all your help and suggestions but that is so out of my league.. :-D
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Gooder » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:57 am

Hello Donna,

For what its worth I was in the same boat as you are! Many years ago I started out with my first PC and I did not dare to open it up,
and going in to change the hardware settings was a big no! I think I am very good with PC and all things related now but I am no expert.
I am amazed at the knowledge on this forum and it totally blows me away with the tips and advice they give!!!

I had an idea and that was if someone could create a small video of what has been said on the forum. They could show you them changing
a few settings and if possible, installing Windows XP! Another idea would be again, for someone to connect a webcam to you, if you have a spare PC and a webcam they could guide you through the process as best as possible!

I’m not really sure if these ideas are very practical but, I thought I would write in and see what other options you may have! I’m sure
these ideas could be improved upon and, I value any other comments from our forum members! :)

Hope it helps!
Lee

Edit: You could also pick up a very, very cheap PC and try a few things out on it just to give yourself some confidence! :)
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Gooder » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:43 am

Hello Donna,

I have found this site that has some video tutorials on various aspects of the PC.
The videos are not the best, the guy has trouble finding the manual focus ring but, he offers them for free,
which is very kind & nice of him!

This link will give you an idea of what to expect if you would like to change your BIOS settings.
http://www.dancetech.com/aa%5Fdt%5Fnew/ ... 157&lang=0

Scroll down and look for
” PART_6: Add package-included mouse and keys, final BIOS check & changes to get it ready to setup from Windows XP CD - [21.7 mb]”
Halfway through part 6 he shows you the BIOS and setting it to BOOT from a CD!

This link will take you another page on his site that guides you through installing Windows XP.
http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/arti ... 158&Lang=0

Hope it helps!
Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ridon127 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:07 pm

Lee,

That is a great idea about the webcam. I am a very auditorial/tactile learner. I do so much better if there is someone there to pull me thru each step. Chuck has offered to do a chat and help but he is so busy and I don't want to impose on him but I will probably have to do that in the end.
I have a PC that we don't use much so any more so I may use that for a practice run.

I, too, am blown away by the help and time people put in here. I hesitated for many months before joining because I wasn't sure if it was worth the cost. :oops: Was I ever wrong. I have probably gone over the question limit and feel sometimes I ask stupid questions, but I really need to know.. Someone once told me the only stupid question was one that was never asked.

Thanks again everyone for your help, time and suggestions. I paid alot for my laptop and I just hate it isn't functioning properly. When I first got it, it was the best computer I had ever owned. I still really like it better than this PC. Hopefully, it will be back to normal before long..I have farmed the kids out and ran my hubby off for the night so hopefully, I will be able to work on it some tonight.
Donna
Donna
ridon127
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Previous

Return to Computer Issues