They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

video start and stop

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

video start and stop

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:58 am

Mailed a 45 min DVD to a retired friend. Worked fine until about 2/3 into it..would start and stop. (Burned at 8x Verbatim and burned numerous copies with no problems reported from others.)

The starting and stopping issue also happens when he views video email attachments or viewing YouTube videos.

Not sure if the above problem is interrelated, any ideas?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: video start and stop

Postby Ron » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:09 am

momoffduty wrote:Mailed a 45 min DVD to a retired friend. Worked fine until about 2/3 into it..would start and stop. (Burned at 8x Verbatim and burned numerous copies with no problems reported from others.)

The starting and stopping issue also happens when he views video email attachments or viewing YouTube videos.

Not sure if the above problem is interrelated, any ideas?

The DVD issue sounds like it may just be dirty (I assume that this was played on a computer?)

The other issues could be anything - memory, disk space, Internet connection, graphic memory/card. I'm sure you knew that, but I don't think it's related.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve Grisetti » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:22 am

I'd also wonder because your post seems to imply that the problem is unique to his computer.

I wonder if a process is interrupting. The computer might be indexing, for instance. Or, if he's go some automatic optimizing program or some Norton software, it too could be interrupting.

These things would, of course, be even more exaggerated on a slower computer or one with minimal RAM or Vista machine with Aero running.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wheat King » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:09 pm

Did you put a sticker on the Disks Cheryl? (I had this problem once) but thanks to the advise I read a few years ago discovered that prinintg on DVD's is the way to go as the stickers placed on the DVD can cause unbalancing and what you describe is exactly what I was seeing.
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:02 pm

No stickers on discs...learned that one here! Didn't think it could be interrelated. I'll tell him to call an expert. Even if he lived next door it would be the blind leading the blind.

Thanks for your inputs!
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:51 pm

Yes, having him contact an expert to check out his system would be the best bet. If the start/stop only occured with your dvd, then it could be the dvd. The YouTube videos could be network congestion, but the video email attachments would be already downloaded (unless it's just a url to the video). Since the problem happens with other video (from multiple sources no less), it's likely to be something related to his computer. Lot's of things could be causing it, too many to be second guessing it here.
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:27 pm

The network congestion crossed my mind if it was only on YouTube. The email attachments, like you said already downloaded, made me wonder about his player or other computer issues. And others had no problems with the DVDs so I ruled a bad DVD burn out. (Possible bad disc)

I have had very good luck with burned DVD's thanks to the directions I received here!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Computer Issues