They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

zip/unzip utility for vista

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

zip/unzip utility for vista

Postby Sara J. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:16 am

Now that I have my new computer up and running am I missing somethin in being able to zip/unzip folders? I could on my old comupter with XP. Is there a download that I should have or am I missing something on the new vista system. The files I have been able to open before I can no loger get access to.

Thanks for your help.
-Sara
Sara J.

Re: zip/unzip utility for vista

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:22 am

Unzip (Uncompress) Files and Folders
You can unzip a file a few different ways.

Double-click the Zipped File

The easiest way to unzip a file is to double-click it. A window with the zipped files contents will open. You can click Extract all files or drag the files out of the window to the desired location (example: the desktop).

If you choose to click extract all files, the files will be extracted (unzipped) in the same location as the original file unless you specify a location in the Select a Destination and Extract Files box that appears when you choose to extract them.

Right-click the Zipped File

Right-click the zipped file and select Extract all. The Select a Destination and Extract Files window will open and let you choose if you want to save the files in the same location as the original zipped file or you can choose where you want to save the unzipped files by clicking browse and choosing a new location.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sara J. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:31 am

My right click doesn't give me the option to uzip the file. I have tried the open with command and I tried three programs: windows photo gallery, CS3, & PE, none can open the file. I know thats because its a ziped file. I also tried Send To and choose compressed zipped folder which was placed on the desktop, but when I click on the new folder I created I still get the message that I can't open this folder. And I still don't get the option to unzip or extract file that I used to get on the old computer.
Sara J.

Postby Ron » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:06 am

I'm fairly certain that Vista has built-in capability for zipping/unzipping. You don't need any other programs.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:14 am

Are you saying right-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer doesn't give you the Extract option?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sara J. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:14 am

I would think so also. I downloaded 7-zip and its working fine. I am still curious why vista won't let me do this.
I am seeing why people have been frustrated with Vista. Maybe its just that I need toget to know this system, but it certainly isn't impressing me yet. Maybe leopard was the way to go.

To answer Steve - It wouldn't give me the option to uzip with a right click. Also the picture on the folder has symbol for whatever defult progam used to try to open it. It doesn't have the look of a folder with a zipper across it like it should. I changed all my folders to look that way. When I downloaded 7-zip it went back to how it should look and open. The properties of the file showed it correctly as a .zip file, but without downloading 7-zip, vista wouldn't let me open it or unzip it.
Sara J.

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:11 pm

1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sara J. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:55 pm

I get how its supposed to work. I never had a problem with it before. BUT no matter what I do - I do not get those options with this new computer and vista. It does not let me double click or right click and get those options.

I will just have to run with 7-Zip for now until I have more time to figure that out. Do you use Vista? Does this work just fine for you? Is there a way I can say open with and a vista program that sould work? I'm not sure what else I would do.

Thanks for trying to help. I know you would like to resove this, but I can't click on something that isn't there.

Thanks,
Sara
Sara J.

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:03 pm

When you right click you don't have an option to 'Open'?
When you double click on the zip file doesn't it open in a new window showing you the files that are in the zip file?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sara J. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:18 pm

Ok this is exactly what option I get when I right click.

Preview
Print
7-zip ->
Open With ->
Send to ->
Cut
Copy
Create Short Cut
Delete
Rename
Properities

Open with I can use, but no program will open it - I get the error message. "This file format is not supported"
I do not get an option to unzip. At least not until I just dowloaded 7-zip. Vista alone would not let me. I could go to send to compressed folder, but then I still could not open even the zip I created. I know this doesn't make sense. But thats all I got.

It would not show me what was in the folder, nor did it show the standard folder with a zip on the side, it had an icon on the folder with which ever program I last tried to open it with. I know for sure it is a zip file. Properties shows it as a zip file. When I downloaded 7-zip than it worked to extract the files. Vista could not do that.
Sara J.

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi Sara,
Sorry to keep asking questions but it would be great to find the answer to this :)

What happens when you double click on the zip file?

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sara J. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:32 pm

When I double click the zip file the default program tries to open it. I have tried CS3, PE Photoshop, & windows photo gallery. They all say they can not open the file. File Format not supported.
Sara J.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Well, of course CS3, Photoshop Element and Photo Gallery won't open it! It's not one of their files!

But Windows Vista has an onboard compressor/uncompressor program built in.

What program does it offer to launch by default, Sara?
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sara J. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:04 pm

It does not give me a default program. It asks what program I want as the default. I can go and choose any program thats on my computer, but I don't know what to choose or path to get there if Vista has a program that should do the job. Any suggestions on that?
Sara J.

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:11 pm

Unless right-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer gives you the option Extract, somebody has tinkered with it.

Mind if I ask what brand of computer it is? Sony VAIOs, for instance, are notorious for customizing the operating system (often leading to problems).

Dells and HPs, on the other hand, usually maintain the operating system's integrity.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Computer Issues