They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

video production project needs help

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: video production project needs help

Postby Gooder » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:42 am

Just a little extra to help with a good light system is to use a Reflector!
These will reflect any diffused light back towards the shadow areas of your subject...

You have many choices and sizes if you decide to use them!

Cheers,
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby billybeartku » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:28 pm

jackfalbey wrote:Okay, now that you have a baseline set of criteria, you can begin putting together a list of equipment to suit your needs.

For the editing software, I would definitely begin with Premiere Elements. It will do 90% of what you need and is a much easier learning curve than jumping straight into a professional suite. If you're just learning to drive a car, it's easier to learn on a Toyota than a Ferrari. After you are comfortable with Elements, you can transition to Adobe Production Studio, Avid Composer or any of the full-featured software.

For the computer, you will need a dedicated video editing computer, one that isn't used for other office purposes. A workstation from Dell or HP would be best. Depending on your budget (I would spend at least $1500 but no more than $5000), it should be configured with:

Windows XP Pro (Vista still has compatibility issues with most video editing software)
At least a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad processor (although dual Quad-Core Xeons will be able to grow with your needs more easily)
2GB of fast RAM (667 or 800 MHz)
At least 250GB 7200RPM system hard drive
At least 500GB 7200RPM video hard drive
Additional large-capacity hard drive for extra storage, if it's in your budget
At least 128MB video card with OpenGL architecture and dual DVI outputs
Dual LCD monitors (at least 19" but 24" would be ideal)

For the camcorders, I'll work on a list of features you will want and/or need and post it tomorrow or Thursday. Also, do you anticipate the need for High Definition video or will Standard Definition (i.e. NTSC or PAL) be fine?

I'm sure others will chime in with more good advice; the best thing I can tell you is to do your homework before spending any money; you can avoid a costly mistake.

Thank you soooooooooooooo much for the computer set up list for me to follow.

I believe HD will be our ultimate goal.
billybeartku
New User
New User

Postby billybeartku » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:09 pm

Gooder wrote:Just a little extra to help with a good light system is to use a Reflector!
These will reflect any diffused light back towards the shadow areas of your subject...

You have many choices and sizes if you decide to use them!

Cheers,
Lee

I haven't done any research on "lighting", any beginner's website or articles for me to check out? any equipments to suggest?
thanks!
billybeartku
New User
New User

Postby Gooder » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:49 pm

A good source for equipment can be seen on this website, they are well known for such items!
http://www.lastolite.com/

Hope it helps!
Lee
HP Pavilion t540.se 2.8 GHz, 1GB DDR, 200GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500. Internal HDD Seagate 250GB, External HDD WD My Book 300GB, Maxtor Basic 500GB. Sound card Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro! & 5.1 Surround Speakers!
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:03 pm

Also, probably the largest retailer of gear in the USA is B & H Photo in New York.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

And here are some other suggestions for computer specs
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1640
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Gooder » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:11 pm

And here is another one for the USA who deal with Lastolite products!
http://www.bogenimaging.us/Jahia/produc ... /site/bius

Cheers.
Lee
Gooder
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:34 pm

Camcorder recommendations:
Since you are aiming towards HD video and eventually TV broadcast, you will be better off spending a bit more now on camcorders that will continue to serve that eventual purpose. I would recommend sticking with something that records HDV to MiniDV tape; it's not the latest state-of-the-art technology, but will be the easiest for you to work with and give the best results. And you'll want to get 2 of the same model so the video can be edited together without noticeable differences in the image. You're probably going to have to spend at least $5,000.00 per camcorder to get broadcast-quality HD video.

Some features that are must-haves:
3 CCDs, at least 1/3"
2 XLR inputs so you can use professional microphones
Manual controls for exposure, white balance, focus, etc.

Some features that are nice to have:
Interchangeable lenses
HDMI or SDI outputs
Genlock, so the cameras can be synchronized together

Some good models (from lowest to highest $$):
Sony HVR-Z1U
JVC GY-HD110
Panasonic AG-HVX200
Canon XH-G1
Sony HVR-Z7U
Canon XL-H1

Additional accessories:
Shotgun & lavalier microphones (Audio-Technica, Azden, Rode and Sennheiser are good brands)
Sturdy tripods with fluid heads (Bogen/Manfrotto are top-of-the-line)
Light kit with 4 or 5 sources, including fill and spot lights
Studio monitor (15" or bigger, with "blue key" to adjust color and contrast)

As far as the computer, you'll probably want to go ahead and get a dual Quad-Core Xeon workstation with a 15,000 RPM system drive and a 1TB RAID0 video drive; it will be more able to grow with your needs, and when the next generation of professional editing software comes out later this year it will be able to use all 8 cores for processing (a very good thing when shooting HD with multiple cameras).

I think you should be able to achieve your project's goals for a total investment of $20,000-$25,000 tops.
Chuck mentioned B&H Photo and I agree. They are the only place I buy equipment from. Their prices can't be beat, and the customer service is top-notch. When you get ready to make your purchases, their Sales Department can help you select exactly the right equipment for your needs.

Also, professional videographers tend to be a friendly bunch, so feel free to call or stop by if you have any video production houses in your area and ask them for advice as well.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby billybeartku » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:45 pm

hi guys, just had a very quick meeting with couple members in the project. Here's another vid i was shown: http://www.petportals.com/viewmovie.php That's the min. quality we want.

For the post production, me and other members do think it's very unlikely for us to do it for the first couple vids. So, I was told to get a quote for outsourcing as well. What's the market standard for this? How do you guys charge per vid? If we get camera crew to come in and film...how much does that cost? Does camera crew include post production? how much is that? Sorry...the more we go deeper, the more questions we have, since even my boss doesn't really know what he wants. :(

Thank you guys for the help!
billybeartku
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:49 pm

I can just about guarantee you that was shot with a professional camera, $10,000 +
You can maybe get close to that with something around $5000 but it won't look as good.

I think the reason for the price difference and the quality difference is the way the camera handles light and mostly the type and quality of lens.
Lenses are what drive the price up drastically, not much else.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:54 pm

billybeartku wrote:What's the market standard for this? How do you guys charge per vid? If we get camera crew to come in and film...how much does that cost? Does camera crew include post production? how much is that? Sorry...the more we go deeper, the more questions we have, since even my boss doesn't really know what he wants. :(
Thank you guys for the help!

I already posted a quick estimate of $1000 to shoot a 1 hour event, that includes two cameras, two camera operators and all of the post production.
The same people will shoot a wedding with two cameras, operators and full post production, including 5 DVDs, for $4000+, but the weddings total 6 hours or more.
You can cut the cost by having one camera operator but still two cameras, one of the cameras will be stationary and used only for quick cutaway shots.

Depending on where you are the cost may be a little more or little less.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby jackfalbey » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:52 pm

The industry standard is anywhere from $125/hr to $300/hr or more, depending on the type of equipment used and the number of crew involved. For 1 hour of taping, expect 10-20 hours of editing.
Chuck Engels wrote:I think the reason for the price difference and the quality difference is the way the camera handles light and mostly the type and quality of lens. Lenses are what drive the price up drastically, not much else.

True, but the color sampling has a lot to do with it as well. Without getting too technical, most $5,000 cameras record 4:1:1 or 4:2:0 color space. With a $10,000+ camera, you get 4:2:2, which gives much more realistic color reproduction and is much easier if you're doing green-screen work.

For the scope of your project, hiring outside for at least the first one is probably best. Then, you can watch them and ask questions to prepare yourself for in-house production down the road.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby billybeartku » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:57 pm

hi guys, I hope you all enjoyed the Superball weekend.

Sorry for the late reply as I didn't get a chance to speak to my boss until early this morning. I have a better idea what my boss wants. He certainly agrees that we'll get outside source for the first couple vid productions. But he really insists in the in-house production in the future (TV production isn't in his mind anymore..so we'll stick to the classroom setting). So...he wants a range of quote for med-high lvl or production: like..how much it'll take us for the equipment and the post production..I don't know what type of tripod should go for Canon HV20, lighting (I tried to do some research but i'm really lost, i don't know where to begin), how much should we pay to hire ppl who know how to film and edit the video, what's the market standard salary range? etc....Are there any of you I can talk to in private? like thru the phone? just so I can get more info more quickly.

Thank you guys again for the help.
billybeartku
New User
New User

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:23 pm

I would highly recommend calling B&H Photo in New York, they will have a sales person that can help you with everything.
They are very reasonable and are very trusted in the industry, you might pay a couple dollars more here and there but well worth it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
They have an 800 number on their web site.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby billybeartku » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:57 am

so I called BH, they did give me some quote but what surprised me was that guys there don't really know what equipments I need. So I only got a rough quote for
1 SONY DSR-PD170 w/UWP-C1 WIRELESS SYSTEM/REG 2,899.95 2,899.95
#SODSRPD170WK/
CONSISTS OF:
1 SONY DSR-PD170 3 CCD DVCAM CAMCORDER/REG
#SODSRPD170/DSRPD170
1 SONY UWP-C1 PORTABLE WIRELESS LAV SYS 62/64/REG
#SOUWPC162/UWPC16264
This Item Has Free Shipping To The Continental USA.
1 SONY DSR-PD170 3 CCD DVCAM CAMCORDER/REG 2,499.00 2,499.00
#SODSRPD170/DSRPD170
1 SONY UWP-C2 PORTABLE WIRELESS HH SYS 66/68/REG 499.95 499.95
#SOUWPC266/UWPC26668
This Item Has Free Shipping To The Continental USA.
2 BOGEN 351MVB2 TRIPOD w/503HDV HEAD/MBAGP KIT/REG 636.95 1,273.90
#BO351MV503HD/503HDV351MVB
2 HOYA 58mm HMC - UV FILTER/REG 20.95 41.90
billybeartku
New User
New User

Postby jackfalbey » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:57 pm

The Sony DSR-PD170 is an outstanding camcorder. It's what I chose for my videography business, after lots of in-depth research. The picture and sound are top-notch. All that praise aside, it isn't a High Definition camcorder. If you anticipate the need for HD production at some point, you'll be better off with one of the models I listed in my post above. If you don't think HD is necessary for your company's needs, then the PD170 is an excellent choice.

For microphones, wireless is really only necessary for mobile taping. You mentioned that you will be shooting in a classroom setting; if this will be mostly a lecture-style video, I'd recommend wired mics to avoid the hassles of signal interference and batteries dying in the middle of taping. You can run the wires along a baseboard or under a rug to keep them out of the way. If you're going to use 2 cameras, it will be easiest to record audio and video on one and just video on the other. I'd go with 2 shotgun mics mounted on opposite sides of the room, both pointed at the podium and both plugged in to the same camcorder. This will ensure a consistent stereo audio track for your completed video project.

As far as lighting goes, you'll probably want to go with tungsten, halogen or quartz lights for accurate color and ease of use. B&H has hundreds of complete kits that include the lights, stands and reflectors/umbrellas ranging from $200 to $5,000 or more; it all depends on your budget. This page at Videomaker has some good how-to articles on lighting and other subjects http://www.videomaker.com/learn/.

In addition to Videomaker, these websites have lots of good articles and tutorials as well:
http://www.mediacollege.com
http://www.dv.com
http://www.eventdv.net
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf
http://www.videouniversity.com
http://www.dvshop.ca/dvcafe/dv/beginners.html

You've got a steep learning curve ahead... just don't let it intimidate you. Do your homework, ask lots of questions and you'll do just fine.
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Computer Issues