They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Computer burner problem

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Computer burner problem

Postby momoffduty » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:14 pm

Turned on the computer yesterday and got a message saying no video input check cable. Which I did and also hooked up old monitor with old cable and same message.

Took it in for repair. Hardware is fine. Possible software issue with burner. The E: was not recognizing the burner. Repair person fixed this and tried a few burns. Some worked and another had a verify disc error. He tried a new burner which he knew worked and the same thing happened. Was told that NERO may have compatibility issues with other burn software and should uninstall and reinstall NERO.

Starting a few months ago, there have been times that the the burner would not recognize a disc. Sometimes happens with a CD or DVD I want to burn. Other times it happens when putting a CD in to rip. When that happened went to my computer and looked at E: and does not show that a disc is in place.

Questions:
Should I uninstall and reinstall NERO?
Are there compatibility issues?
Would the burner software give a message as no video input?
Was advised to run the Microsoft Online Security Scanner to check for registry errors. Anyone use this?

We use Trend and are up to date with the virus scans. Repair person said that was all fine.

Thanks
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Computer burner problem

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am

I would uninstall and reinstall Nero, just because once I uninstalled Premiere Elements and afterwards Nero stopped working properly.

The burner software isn't running when you turn on your computer so the video error is coming from the operating system.

I haven't run that Microsoft registry analyzer.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:29 am

For checking the registry I have been using this for a long time and have had no issues with it. It seems to do a good job.

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cle ... leaner.htm
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks for the info. I will uninstall and reinstall the Nero. How long does it take to run the eusing.com registry clean? Was told the Microsoft one would take 4 to 5 hours.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby Peru » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:41 pm

[How long does it take to run the eusing.com registry clean?

On a computer with 120GB hard drive, 1MB RAM, 2.14MHz (obviously, I don't use this one for video) it took less than 1/2 Hr.to find and repair about 200 entries.
Peru

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:13 pm

Agree with peru. Minutes, depending on computer specs. On my PC it takes about one minute.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:39 pm

That is quick! He started the scan and after an hour was only 20% complete with the Microsoft and stopped it so I could get the computer back sooner and do it myself. Can't find the NERO disc, so haven't uninstalled. Did burn 2 DVD's today and worked.

[/quote]
RJ Johnston wrote:The burner software isn't running when you turn on your computer so the video error is coming from the operating system.

He ruled everything else out...power source, etc. The only thing that was strange, was the burner.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:49 pm

Clarification - I was talking about Eusing registry cleaner, not the Microsoft offering.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:44 pm

Got the same error message today, no video input check cable. Since I had to wait to take it back for repairs, tried this: turned off computer, flipped the power switch on back off and on, and unplugged the printer. Well, it worked then. The reason I unplugged the printer, it has been acting strange and the power switch no longer works. It would not print yesterday and checked that it was in the right port. Lifted the lid and the cartridges did not slide over, so unplugged the power cable and then it worked. It would not take a memory stick last month.

Question:
If the printer is shorting out will this cause the computer not turn on?
If flipping the power switch on back of the computer, is there a short there?

I did uninstall and reinstall Nero today and did the euser registry cleaner. Guess I am grasping at straws here since the hardware all checked out fine when I took it in for repair.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:22 pm

Cheryl, How old is the computer?
It almost sounds like your power supply could be going bad.

The Printer doesn't have anything to do with your computer turning on or not.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:50 pm

Two things control whether the computer will turn on or not -- the power supply and the motherboard.

The switch on the back of the computer is the main power switch for the power supply. If it's off, no power is being delivered to the power supply -- the equivalant of unplugging the computer. It does not turn on the computer. The power switch on the front of the computer turns it on. This is a "soft power switch" which connects to the computer motherboard. When you press that button, the motherboard sends a signal to the power supply to turn on and power up the system. To allow this to work, there is a standby circuit on the motherboard that is always receiving power.

If the computer doesn't turn on, the power supply might not be acting on the signal from the motherboard. It could be defective. Or, the motherboard might not be sending the signal to the power supply. It could be defective also. But, sometimes, the motherboard can hang and not supply the turn on signal. Turning off and on the main power supply switch on the back can clear that condition and allow it to restart. It's hard to pin down intermittant problems. Try leaving the printer disconnected for a while and see if the problem turning on the computer happens again. If it does, you'll need to get a knowledgable technician to trouble shoot the problem. It's most likely the power supply, but it could be something else.

Messages on your monitor about no video signal are generally generated by the monitor itself, not the computer. Generally that means the cable is disconnected or not making good contact in the socket. But it could be a problem with the video card or the signal interface circuit in the monitor. If you have one of those systems with integrated video on the motherboard, this could tie in with a defective motherboard, so it could be related to your problem turning on the system.

A decent technician should be able to figure out what's going on.

How old is the computer?
Bob

Postby momoffduty » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:17 pm

Thanks Bob for the detailed info. The computer is 2 years old this month. The tech checked the power source. For testing purposes: he put in a new drive and had the same error, same with a new burner. Then tested the C drive and the D drive and the computer corrected itself. The only strange thing was the software to the DVD burner. That is the problem when a problem is intermittant.

I uninstalled Nero and reinstalled.
Ran the eusing registry cleaner and got 1,000 errors.
Ran the Online Microsoft Scanning "Live One Care Safety Scanner" per the tech's insistence. That took over 3 hours and found 267 errors.

Today, started up fine and printer no problems. Hopefully it is somehow fixed now. The guy who built the computer and has worked on ours for over a decade has moved out of state. Did not want to use the guy who took his place because he gave me incorrect info a few times (and I even knew better, which my knowledge is pretty much nil :) ) The guy who left did give me a name of the person we use now. Seems knowledgeable.

Thanks for the all of the info, may not understand it all, but at least I can ask the right questions. Thanks!
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Return to Computer Issues