They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

third hard drive-bigger power supply needed?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: third hard drive-bigger power supply needed?

Postby Peru » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:00 pm

Thanks for the additional suggestions, guys. I checked all of the types of connectors currently coming off the power supply and they are standard connectors. The replacement supply I chose (CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ) is a modular one and includes more cables than I think I'll ever need for this machine.

The computer was purchased as a customizable one (you could choose key components such as hdds, cards, cpu, etc.), so there is plenty of room in the case. They use a case much larger than the "shelf stock" machines since there are options such as four internal hdds and dual TV tuners. There is so much room I think I could fit two power supplies in there. ;)
Peru

Postby Bob » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:15 pm

That looks like a great choice.
Bob

Postby JohnnyO » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:53 pm

Peru:

Let us know how it works out. I too have a customizeable Pavillion. I would like to know if you had any issues installing the power supply.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:05 pm

JohnnyO-

I'll post back after I install it. I hope it comes before the weekend.
Peru

Postby JohnnyO » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:18 am

That's quite an impressive power supply you purchased. You will never run out of capacity.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:00 pm

Never say never, Johnny. While I was at Fry's last weekend, I saw some teens that were evidently heavy into gaming buying a 750W power supply. I overheard them talking about running 3 or 4 video cards in the same system to get a multi-gpu setup. I'll bet they overclocked it too. :lol:
Bob

Postby Peru » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:42 pm

JohnnyO wrote:Peru:

Let us know how it works out. I too have a customizeable Pavillion. I would like to know if you had any issues installing the power supply.

Sorry it took so long to post back, but I had a main hard drive failure. :angry5: It took me a while to diagnose the problem, but was easily fixed since I recently created a clone on another drive and all of my data files were backed up on a separate hard drive. :) The hard drive was still under warranty, fortunately- only about three months old.

Back to the power supply...

It fit perfectly with no modification at all necessary. I was even able to use the original mounting screws. The modular cables were very easy to connect and had plenty of options. The on/off button on the front of the cpu is connected to the motherboard, so the switch retained its original function.

I installed the third hard drive as well as a pair of fans (powered from one of the molex connectors with an inline connector included with the fans) to cool the three hard drives installed (main, backup, pictures and video). I suspect that two stacked hard drives with no extra air flow may have caused the failure. #-o

I configured the drive as NTFS using Acronis Image Home.
Peru

Postby Bob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:36 pm

Sorry to hear about the drive failure. That's rare for such a new drive, but it happens. Good thing you cloned it recently.

Glad to hear the power supply installation went well. Given the supply you selected, I wasn't expecting any problems but you never know. The drive fans are a good idea, I do that with my system too. Those drives can get pretty hot without them.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:06 am

Talking about cloning, I just cloned my 60GB 5400rpm laptop drive in my Precision M65.
I cloned it to a 160gb 7200rpm laptop drive and installed that into my Precision M65 laptop (also known as a Latitude D820).
I used the Acronis Home version as well and I am very impressed with it.

The cloning was very easy and the drive is working perfectly, that is some great software and a whole lot easier than Ghost will ever be.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby JohnnyO » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:07 pm

Thanks for getting back to us. I was considering buying a new graphics card, and the manufactured specs called for a 450W power supply. Now I know if I decide to do this, upgradeing the power supply will go smoothly.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:33 pm

I don't replace power supplies too frequently in my PC service business, but I do some.

If the manufacturer uses a "standard" footprint power supply, there should be little problem. Most modern power supplies come with all the connectors you need. Just remember what you unplugged.

However, if the manufacturer does not use a standard supply, all bets are off for physical compatibility. I carry a small nibbling tool and have had on occasion to nibble some frame sheetmetal to make a standard one fit.

But it's not an irreversible procedure. If you get a supply and find it doesn't fit, it's a simple matter to put the original one back in, as long as you are careful.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Computer Issues