They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DVD drive problems

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

DVD drive problems

Postby spressman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:15 pm

Two days ago my internal DVD drive (NEC ND-1100A) was working just fine. Yesterday, it suddenly stopped recognizing any DVD files, including all of my stored .AVI files from past PrEl projects. The only change to my computer during that time was updating my version of Windows Internet Explorer.

The DVD drive will recognize files on CDs (photos, etc), but absolutely nothing on DVDs. Very frustrating!

Anyone have any experience or suggestions with this kind of problem?

Happy new year all.

steve
spressman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: DVD drive problems

Postby roadsideron » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:26 pm

The DVD player could be fried. You could try and update the firmware if it has any updates and see if that works. If it doesn't you could try plugging it into another motherboard port and using a different power plug in the back of it. I know it's a stretch but these are all the things you can do to try and solve the problem short of taking it apart. If none of these things work, the last step would be to put it into a different computer and see if it works there, if not it's time for a new DVD player.
roadsideron
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Ron » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:29 pm

You could also try a "System Restore" choosing a date just prior to when it was working fine.
Regards,
-Ron

Dell, Win10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @3.4GhHz, 8GB ram. 64-bit
Ron
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:51 pm

And very strange that it will read CDs and not DVDs. That could well mean a driver problem rather than that the drive is fried.

Can I offer one more suggestion? Turn off your computer, open it, unplug the DVD drive and start the computer -- so the computer sets itself up as if it has no DVD drive. Then power down, plug the drive back in and restart. This will generate a whole new driver for your drive. Just in case the old one somehow corrupted.

You also don't say if you're using Vista (not that that should make any difference) but you may want to go to the NEC site and see if your drive has new firmware available. If you don't have your computer specs, the Belarc Advisor will tell you which model of drive you have.
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c0572c0
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby spressman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not using Vista (still on XP), and I also tried the Restore option (setting the point prior to the Internet Explorer update, but to no avail).

It is part of a 5-year-old machine, so maybe it just decided that celebrating another New Year's Day was not in the cards! Thanks again for the helpful suggestions.

And best wishes for the new year.
steve
spressman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi Steve, sorry to hear about your drive. One good thing is that you can probably get twice the drive for almost nothing these days.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby spressman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:55 pm

And, indeed, it looks like I'm heading for a new drive.

I tried Steve's suggestion -- removing the DVD drive, starting up without it, and then shutting down and reinstalling the DVD drive. But still no go. I also seem unable to install the firmware update that I downloaded from the NEC site -- the firmware utility doesn't recognize my drive.

Oddly, the drive still reads CDs but of course that doesn't help me work with all those AVI files that I've archived on DVD disks.

I guess it's time to hit the after-holiday sales.

best,
steve
spressman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:25 pm

I guess it's time to hit the after-holiday sales.

Sounds like fun to me :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Here's one other thought, Steve. Just so you can say you exhausted every option.
http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05612d
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby spressman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:20 pm

Thanks, Steve, for flagging to this. I also ran across it myself but I have to confess that I'm a little nervous about tinkering with the registry.

For what it's worth, the very helpful folks at my local computer shop think my recent Windows IE update might very well have messed with my DVD drive. On the off chance that it would help, I've been trying to restore my computer to an earlier time, but I've been unable to do so (getting that "computer is unable to be restored" message). I know about the restore conflict with Norton anti-virus, but even temporarily deactivating my Norton anti-virus program will still not allow me to do a Restore. The hole just gets deeper and deeper...

steve
spressman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby spressman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:30 pm

By the way, Steve, regarding the registry edit approach that you flagged to, my DVD drive is not missing. It definitely shows up under My Computer and, as I mentioned earlier, it also reads my CD photo files just fine. Weird...

steve
spressman
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Bobby » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:40 pm

Steve, could you provide some more details on "not recognizing"?

DVD drive firmware is pretty smart, and it does the determination of what the medium is, not software. If the drive reads CDs, it is physically connected OK and the drivers are highly probably OK. You might try loading new firmware, but I don't think this is your problem.

Once the medium is recognized, then it is up to the software to decide what player to use. If nothing plays, perhaps you have lost the association for that medium type. For example, if the system knows to play DVDs via PowerDVD and PowerDVD is for some reason not starting up, nothing will happen, perhaps.

More details please.

Bob
Bobby (Bob Seidel)
Bobby
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues