They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Advice please on new computer

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Advice please on new computer

Postby videovillageidiot » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:12 pm

I need some advice…I currently use a laptop computer, purchased 3 years ago. Though this device hasn’t been sold for a long time, the specs, including processor – for comparison purposes - are still available here...
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-x3 ... Id=6403437

I have been eyeing 2 different laptops on Best Buy’s site…
This is an HP for which I placed an order, when it was priced at 699.99 – on sale; it’s now back to the regular price of 1149.99. It will be available for pickup next week, so I’m not yet committed to it.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-envy-2- ... Id=6535818

There is also this laptop, an ASUS. It’s priced at 799.99 thru today; regular price is 1099.99. It has a graphics card and a higher rated processor than the HP.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-15-6- ... Id=6534577

I would love any opinions. The Asus would seem the better deal, but I don’t know if Asus trumps HP or vice versa, etc. Both have 16 GB RAM, instead of my current 12.

Frankly, I mostly only need it for Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements, Powerpoint, Word and Excel. I’d love to not get another laptop, but the 3-year-old does seem slow when I’m working in Premiere Elements 2018. I have purchased the 2024 version but haven’t tried installing it yet.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I appreciate all the expertise here!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Advice please on new computer

Postby sidd finch » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:55 pm

How exciting getting a new computer.

I would recommend that you compare the CPU benchmark to see what chip is faster. (Faster = better) In addition you want to see how much ram comes with the machine and can your budget allow for additional ram 16-32 GB is a decent amount for what you want to do. Also what kind of hard drive comes with the laptop.

1. M.2 SSD drive (fastest) best
2. SSD (fast) but need to check the upload download speed of the drive.
3. Hard drive (mechanical) slowest of the bunch and prone to failure.

These are functional aspects of upgrading. A lot of the other specs are subjective so those qualifiers are something you need to decide if you like or not.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Peru » Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:24 pm

The HP has a better screen and longer battery life.
The Asus has better graphics, an M.2 expansion slot, a num pad, a card reader, and customizable keyboard lighting.
Peru

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:39 pm

I think the Asus is a much better value, same RAM 16gb which is doable, much better graphics 6GB which is helpful in video editing, and the additional pluses mentioned by Peru Bob above. Both have the i7 processor and the same size screen. Both have a 512GB SSD hard drive but the Asus has the expansion slot which is nice. I'm not a big HP fan anyway so the Asus would be my choice. Checking the CPU benchmark as Sidd suggested is a good idea but they are both similare CPU so probably not a lot of difference between the two. My guess would be that the Asus CPU would be faster.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby videovillageidiot » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:55 pm

sidd finch wrote:How exciting getting a new computer.

I would recommend that you compare the CPU benchmark to see what chip is faster. (Faster = better) In addition you want to see how much ram comes with the machine and can your budget allow for additional ram 16-32 GB is a decent amount for what you want to do. Also what kind of hard drive comes with the laptop.

1. M.2 SSD drive (fastest) best
2. SSD (fast) but need to check the upload download speed of the drive.
3. Hard drive (mechanical) slowest of the bunch and prone to failure.

These are functional aspects of upgrading. A lot of the other specs are subjective so those qualifiers are something you need to decide if you like or not.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Sidd

Thanks Sidd! I had checked the benchmark site before my original post and found these values...
The HP processor is 1355U and the CPU Mark was 15,348
The Asus processor is Intel Core i7-13620H and the CPU Mark was 26,519

Both laptops have an SSD and, as Chuck and Peru pointed out, the Asus is expandable in that spec.

I have reviewed the specs over and over and just get confused by all the terms. That's why I count on you folks to help me thru this maze of info! Thanks!!!!

Peru wrote:The HP has a better screen and longer battery life.
The Asus has better graphics, an M.2 expansion slot, a num pad, a card reader, and customizable keyboard lighting.

Thanks Peru! I do like the thought of the graphics card in case I want more oooompf in that area!! The expansion slot is nice, too.

Chuck Engels wrote:I think the Asus is a much better value, same RAM 16gb which is doable, much better graphics 6GB which is helpful in video editing, and the additional pluses mentioned by Peru Bob above. Both have the i7 processor and the same size screen. Both have a 512GB SSD hard drive but the Asus has the expansion slot which is nice. I'm not a big HP fan anyway so the Asus would be my choice. Checking the CPU benchmark as Sidd suggested is a good idea but they are both similare CPU so probably not a lot of difference between the two. My guess would be that the Asus CPU would be faster.

Thanks Chuck! I was sort of leaning toward the Asus and your comments have been a big help. The CPU benchmark I listed above points toward the Asus and, of course the video card is a plus.

Now I just have to decide. As I mentioned in my original post, I really don't want to add one more computer to what I have now...I may just let this awesome deal pass - especially since the Asus is back to the original price of 1099!! I just feel like my current machine is quite limiting (it's CPU Mark was a puny 8,411) but I don't do much video editing these days, but I think I likely would if I had a better machine...and so it goes, round and round in my head.

I had ordered the HP and it won't be available for pickup until the 5th so I'm not yet tied to that laptop. I have a few days to see how far I can push my current laptop. Oh but - did I mention - I haven't felt terribly inspired to create lately...I think allowing my video and photos to pile up for years has now made the thought of creating overwhelming.

Thank you Sidd, Peru and Chuck!! As always, you are a big help!
videovillageidiot
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues