They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Routine Backups

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Routine Backups

Postby Jan Hough » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:13 pm

Hi--I am new to creating movies and would like advice on the best method to use to back-up my unfinished PE-3 projects. I have worked very hard on my second movie and would hate to lose it if something crazy happened to my pc.

I currently have used approximately 1 GB for my pictures and 6 GB for two movie projects.

Using Nero, it took about 4 hours to back them up to DVD. This seemed like a long time to me.

Thank you, Jan
Jan Hough

Re: Routine Backups

Postby Chuck Engels » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:46 pm

Anything that I really want to save goes onto an external drive, the whole project copied over.
You can also use the Archive feature and create a copy of the entire project or, just the pieces used in the project.
You can also save the DVD, it can be imported back into Premiere Elements in the future also.
There are other archiving techniques but this one from Moderator Bob D. is a very good method
http://videoinasnap.chuckengels.com/sou ... tstars.htm
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob D » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:49 pm

Until Adobe correct the issue with PSE6 catalog on offline media, I would not recommend my approach at this time. If you want to keep the media on line then the PSE6 cataloging works fine, although I guess PE4 does cataloging too.

Bob D
Gateway DX4860 i5-2300 2.80GHz; 6GB Ram; Windows 7 Home 64-bit; 1.5 TB C-Drive, 150G F-Drive(video)
Bob D
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Don Whitten » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:47 pm

Look into backup software and hardware. I am currently using Microsoft Home Server software to backup my hard drives that have my video projects on it. There are more solutions but so far I am more then happy with. It backups all of my projects on a nightly basis and so far no probelms. You do need a deicated machine for the server but for the cost and ease of use I like it.
Don

Asus Laptop F3jp T7200, 160 gig 7200 rpm HD, 2 gig ram, ATI X1700 graphics and various other stuff
Don Whitten
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Peru » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:00 pm

I used to back up onto an external hard drive often during creation of a project. I would safely disconnect the drive each time so that if something did happen, at least the drive would not be affected.

I now back up onto an internal hard drive because it is faster. I still save often, first to My Videos, then to my backup drive.
When saving I name my files like this: Project Name v1 12-1-07
Then I rename the project before I continue to work on it: Project Name v2 12-1-07
I make more changes and save v2 and rename it v3, etc.
I change the date to the current date when I work on it the next day, but continue the consecutive v(for version) number to maintain a consistent work flow.

Before doing all of this, of course I, save all of my media I may need for the project in the same folders, even if it is elsewhere on my hard drive.

I also have an external hard drive to which I occasionally save all versions and then keep it offsite (at work).

When I am confident that I have a final (at least until a few years from now when I realize how I should have done it) version I delete all obsolete versions except for the offsite drive (just in case I realize I kept the wrong one!). I then archive it to another external hard drive offsite.

I will continue to keep the original (final version only) project in My Videos until I run out of room. I'll deal with that issue when I get there.

I also archive them on disc (onsite and offsite), but I realize this is not reliable.

Overkill? Maybe, but I got burned using Win DVD Creator when it crashed near the end of one of my first projects and I lost many hours of work. Now why don't I have life insurance... :-k
Peru

Postby Jayell » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:28 am

All of my video stuff is on an external drive. I simply back that up as I would any other type of file (I use Second Copy) to a second external drive everytime I've done more work than I wish to lose. :-D
Jayell
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby jackfalbey » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:16 pm

The quickest and simplest method is to simply save a copy of the *.prel file to a separate drive. It contains all of the editing data: cuts, transitions, effects, etc. that you have made. If you lose your primary video drive, you can just re-capture the original video and all of your hours of editing work can be reapplied from the *.prel file.

If you have the available drive space to do it, I like to have a complete duplicate of the entire project on an external drive; that way I won't have to spend time recapturing the original footage.

If you want to spend the $$, Acronis TrueImage is a highly-rated backup utility. You can set it for automatic backups and supposedly it is easy to recover from in the event of total drive failure, although I have been lucky and haven't had to test it yet... [-o<

Backing up to DVD is time-consuming and potentially costly as you rack up more and more discs. With the relatively cheap cost of external hard drives and the speed and convenience included, I'd recommend that as the best way to go.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Acronis TrueImage is a highly-rated backup utility

I have the same software, have heard great things, haven't had to put it to the test yet either [-o<
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Ken Jarstad » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:05 pm

The Microsoft Home Server than Don mentioned looks like it might be a winner. I would like to hear more from the early adopters how well it works. Imagine - Microsoft building a server application that you don't need to go to System Administrator school to use :!:

But, MHS costs $180 usd and I cringe at high software prices. Last year I took an old PC, set it up in my garage and installed FreeNAS on it. Price was right and it worked great for over a year - no fuss or bother. But last September it crashed and guess what - it's Beta software. So, even though I had a mirrored disk set I still have not been able to recover the photos I stored there. :oops: ](*,)

Backup is a pain in the assets but - gotta do it. :???:
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:34 pm

Acronis TrueImage is a highly-rated backup utility

I have read excellent reviews about this product. I almost bought it until I found out that Seagate and Maxtor offer a backup utility for free. This utility is made by Acronis.

If you have a Maxtor or Seagate drive, this utility is free. I assume if you need to restore, you will need a Maxtor or Seagate drive.

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=DiscWizard&vgnextoid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=MaxBlast_5&vgnextoid=7add8b9c4a8ff010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:42 am

I have Acronis v9 (current release is v11).

Last time I used it was for copying my C: drive contents from my original 250Gb Western Digital Drive to my new 150Gb Raptor. It worked flawlessly. No problems; no hassle.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:25 am

Ghost seems to get lots of press just because it carries the Norton name, but I've been using Acronis True image for quite a while and I like it a lot. I use external drive(s) to do backups, including one to just mirror my main boot drive. I think it's a good program.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:38 am

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:I have Acronis v9 (current release is v11).
Last time I used it was for copying my C: drive contents from my original 250Gb Western Digital Drive to my new 150Gb Raptor. It worked flawlessly. No problems; no hassle.

Thanks John, that is good to know. I will be using it to clone my laptop drive so I can install a new 160gb, 7200 RPM drive :)

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Computer Issues