They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The Case of the Disappearing Software

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

The Case of the Disappearing Software

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:42 pm

I've been using Kensington Expert Mouses for many years.

Kensintgon.JPG

I currently have one for each of my 4-year-old HP Win7 desktops. Until recently, they worked flawlessly. But now, on one of the two desktops, neither is detected.

I used RollbackRX Pro to roll all the way back to the Installation Snapshot that RRXP created when I installed it--and when everything was working well. That did not fix the problem, thereby ruling out the possibility that any changes that I've made to my system following that date are the cause of the problem.

Changing ports accomplished nothing with the one internal HDD--but upon switching to my recent backup of this drive I get the following result: each time the cursor freezes, the problem can be resolved--temporarily--by switching to another USB port. I can work for perhaps a half-hour before needing to switch ports. This did not work with the one drive--instead, upon switching I got a message that the driver did not load.

Uninstalling the original TrackballMouseworks v. 1.0.1 program, to allow the device could be operated by what the Kensington rep called "a generic Windows driver" and then restarting resulted in the device still not being detected.

"Does ordinary mouse work?" he asks. Answer: Yes.

Of interest: Both devices work perfectly with the two Win7 Pro laptops that I recently purchased and which have not experienced any Win7 updates since purchase.

OS of Desktops: Win7 Pro Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)--last updated Oct. 2016, which is the last time my adviser recommended running any Win7 updates other than the Malicious Software Removal Tool

OS of Laptops: Win7 Pro Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)--never updated and likely never will be (but Norton Internet Security set to protect both machines even during booting).

Anyone have a clue how to get my Kensingtons working with my desktops again? Is it doable to determine what driver is working on the laptops and install it via memory stick onto the desktops? :conf:

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Kensington Unable to Solve Driver Problem

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:32 am

Did you check the Kensington web page? https://www.kensington.com/us/us/4493/trackballs

They have a support page with latest drivers. If that doesn't work, try to ask them for help.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:22 am

TreeTopsRanch wrote:Did you check the Kensington web page? https://www.kensington.com/us/us/4493/trackballs

That was the first thing I did. Problem not solved

They have a support page with latest drivers. If that doesn't work, try to ask them for help.

As I wrote in the title, I asked them for help and they were unable to solve the problem.

The rep said, "Since the trackballs are working on your laptops, there is nothing wrong with them. You need to contact HP to ask them to send you the latest drivers for your desktops."

I replied, "But the other rep stated that the Trackballworks software includes the correct drivers." He replied, "that is not true, as the drivers must come from HP."

Result: I decided to post here on muvipix. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:13 pm

George Tyndall wrote:
I used RollbackRX Pro to roll all the way back to the Installation Snapshot that RRXP created when I installed it--and when everything was working well. That did not fix the problem, thereby ruling out the possibility that any changes that I've made to my system following that date are the cause of the problem.

...unless the rollback did not work properly, for example, not restoring certain system or hidden files.

Try making a clone and doing Windows Updates on the clone and see if it works then.
Peru

Postby sidd finch » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Uninstalling the original TrackballMouseworks v. 1.0.1 program, to allow the device could be operated by what the Kensington rep called "a generic Windows driver" and then restarting resulted in the device still not being detected.

Even after uninstall, you still might have a driver in there that did not get deleted when you did the install. You might need to manually delete all the mouse drivers the clean out the recycle bin, reboot and plug the mouse in and see if it gets the latest driver.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:10 pm

Peru wrote:Try making a clone and doing Windows Updates on the clone and see if it works then.

I'm unable to clone as neither the System Repair Disk nor the Installation Disks that came with the machine will perform the repair that is needed to boot from the clone.

:conf:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:19 pm

sidd finch wrote:You might need to manually delete all the mouse drivers....

Please inform me how to do that, Sidd as that seems promising.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Update re Kensington Unable to Solve Driver Problem

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:52 am

Peru wrote:Try making a clone and doing Windows Updates on the clone and see if it works then.

Clarification:

The most recent Win7 updates to the laptops were in Jun 2016 prior to my purchase--on these the latest version of the Kensington software works perfectly.

The most recent Win7 updates to the desktops were by me in Oct 2016--and it is for these that none of the three versions of the software (1_0_1, 1.2 and 1_3_1) will work, despite the fact that 1_0_1 is what has been working perfectly for the past 4 years.

It just now occurred to me ( :oops: ) that I did need not long ago to change the video cards on both desktops due to their HDMI ports becoming worn and not holding the cable to the monitor well. They are the EVGA video cards for gaming that Fry's recommended; however, the rep said she did not install the more advanced version of the software that is available for gamers, as I am not a gamer.

Question: Is is possible the EVGA software is the culprit? If so, I'm uncertain how to undo this, as I installed new versions of Rollback RX Pro during the Memorial Day sale that occurred after the new video cards had been installed on both machines. :conf:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:52 am

Video card drivers have been known to cause many different and odd behaviors.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:54 am

Peru wrote:Video card drivers have been known to cause many different and odd behaviors.

I was praying you wouldn't say that [-o<

And that would explain why I'm having no problem with the laptops.

Is there any solution other than going back to the original cards that I still have and learning to live with the loose connections?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:20 pm

You could try different drive versions.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Peru wrote:You could try different drive versions.

Such as allowing the card to "upgrade" to the gaming driver? Is there any downside to that such as increased heat or overloading my power supply?

Would that limit the number of external USB HDDs that can be powered simultaneously?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:23 am

George Tyndall wrote:
Peru wrote:You could try different drive versions.

That should have been driver.

Such as allowing the card to "upgrade" to the gaming driver?
Manually download and install different versions, one at a time.

Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:34 am

Peru wrote:Manually download and install different versions, one at a time.

I wish I knew how to do that :oops:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Peru » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:35 pm

What video card do you have in there now?
Peru

Next

Return to Computer Issues