They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

The Case of the Disappearing Software

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: Success!

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:50 pm

Peru wrote:What video card do you have in there now?

When she installed the EVGA GEFORCE GTX1050, she said that, because I am not a gamer, she installed only the basic driver but that I could upgrade to the gaming driver by clicking the Shortcut that she left on my desktop.

But another rep advised that he was not sure that my existing Power Supply could handle my usual 4-6 external HDDs if I were to upgrade. "Just try it and see," he said. "If the machine shuts down, then you will have your answer." :gl:

Anyway, I'm very happy to inform you and the other members that the Kensington rep who advised me that the available software does not include the driver was WRONG!

I discovered this by asking him to send me the TrackballWorks version between 1.01, which had ceased to work, and 1.3.1, which is not digitally signed and therefore will also not work on my desktop (which is older and apparently more choosy than my recently-acquired laptops which also are Win7).

He sent me 1.2, and as soon as I downloaded it I observed that it had the icon to indicate that it had the proper certificate, which made me feel VERY optimistic.

Sure enough, all I had to do was restart and--PRESTO!--1.2 was up and running. Needless to say, I"m dancing in the street. :exc:

AND, like 1.3.1, 1.2 does have the ability to use keystrokes to paste pre-defined snippets of text--up to 10 different snippets (fabulous for logging into those sites for which neither Blur nor NIS Identity Safe work properly).

Many thanks to all the members who replied. :meet:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Kensington Unable to Solve Driver Problem--BUT I DID

Postby sidd finch » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:33 pm

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Re: Success!

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:06 pm

George Tyndall wrote:Success!

Oooooops! :oops:

Make that "partial success," as following that last post I've discovered that I must periodically--roughly every 2-3 hours--switch my trackball to a different USB port due to the cursor ceasing to respond.

However, this "workaround" is not at all bothersome as have I two other ports to choose from, within arm's reach. The convenience to paste snippets with Version 1.2 of the software more than offsets this inconvenience.

I have a similar problem with one of my 6 external HDDs (always the same one). For an unknown reason, every so often it loses its connection to its USB port, which causes me to need to unplug it for 10 or so seconds before plugging it in again.
It's not a perfect world--but, given that both of the affected desktops are at least 4 years old, close enough. ::wav::
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

The Case of the Disappearing Software

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:35 pm

George Tyndall wrote:Make that "partial success," as following that last post I've discovered that I must periodically--roughly every 2-3 hours--switch my trackball to a different USB port due to the cursor ceasing to respond.

Update:

New development: That switching has stopped working. The latest development is that, for reasons unknown, the icon for the TrackballWorks 1.2 driver and software disappears for no apparent reason from Device and Printers along with the icon for the Expert Mouse and I am forced once again to use a simple USB mouse. This is only with the desktop, not the laptops, which are also Win7 machines.

:conf:

Suggestions, anyone?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: The Case of the NO LONGER Disappearing Software

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:57 pm

George Tyndall wrote:Suggestions, anyone?

I suggested to myself that Kensington might be wrong when they told me that the newer hardware is identical to the older; therefore, I switched to the newer one.

Result: three days so far without issues.

:YY:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to Computer Issues