They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

DEP and video files don't mix

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

DEP and video files don't mix

Postby Larry L2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:31 am

I've had this problem for some time now and I can't think of anything else to do. I can look at any video file from my video camera and see a thumbnail. For any video file I have edited with any of the video programs I have, I cannot get a video file thumbnail and DEP shuts down windows explorer.If I use the list function, I can at least hold the folder open but it shuts down the moment I select a file. I have downloaded the K-Lite codex pak and tried to wash stuff through windows movie maker without success. This all seems to be something to do with .AVI files as far as I can tell. I even sat here one night and crashed it about 25 or 30 times and sent the trouble reports to the apparently deaf microsoft corp. I never hear back from them nor does it indicate there is a problem.
I have always hated the DEP feature for XP with the service pack. On my old machine I was able to disable it (not for this reason) and all went well. On this machine it was bundled in and disabling it caused a ton of problems that eventually caused me to wipe everything and do a clean install with the original configuration but the problem persists.
So, waddaya think-is exorcism an option?
I have an HP with a P4, 1.5 Gig ram, 200 gig on the main drive and 150 Gig on the drive I edit on. The P4 processor is a dual core with the 630 chipset clocking at 3.0
Larry L2

Re: DEP and video files don't mix

Postby Ken Jarstad » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:27 am

Well, I had to use Google to fugure out that you were talking about 'Data Execution Protection'. I looked in Control Panel and found it was installed and selected - but I have never had any interference from DEP.
-=Ken Jarstad=-
Linux Kubuntu 20.04, DIY ASRock MB, Ryzen 3 1200 CPU, 16 GB RAM, GT-710 GPU, 250 GB NVMe, edit primarily with Shotcut
Ken Jarstad
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Paul LS » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:31 am

Funny Larry, I had the same problem with MPEG2 files on one of the boot partitions of my computer. Whenever I opened a folder containing MPEG2 files DEP would kick in and close down Windows Explorer. As you did on your old machine, I just disabled DEP for Windows Explorer and continued OK. Dont have the problem on the other boot partitions on the machine. Still haven't gotten to the bottom of it. :???:
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:08 pm

I could have sworn I replied to this yesterday, must have hit the wrong button...

I also have DEP active and have had no problems. Personally, I would not disable DEP on any machine that has access to the Internet.

I've run across individual video files that behave as you described, but those were basically corrupted. That it's happening to all avi files sounds more like the registration info for the codecs is messed up. I've seen reports by some that the k-lite codec pack has caused this problem on some systems and that uninstalling it has resolved the problem. K-lite is generally fine, but I suppose that can happen. Did the problem occur after you restored your OS but prior to installing the k-lite codec pack this last time?

You might try creating a new user account on your pc and see if the problem persists logged into the new account. You might also want to download a utility such as gspot.exe that can display the installed codecs on your system and flag errors.

Good luck with this!
Bob

Postby Larry L2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi everybody,
The problem was there before I did the system restore. The restore was forced by instability caused by disabling DEP. I downloaded and installed the K-Lite Codex when I saw the same thing going on with the fresh install. I think it was Chuck that mentioned K-Lite on one of the other forums.
The big difference from the old machine to the new is that the service pack was downloaded and installed on the old machine whereas on the new machine it is part of the OS and tougher to untangle from the OS and the only way is to disable it in the start-up scripting. ](*,)

If I were a programmer, and I'm not, I suppose I could crash around in the system and find stuff to delete. Just from the way it's acting, I am guessing that there is a small snippet of code somewhere in the registry that has not been cleaned out because it's tied to something active yet.
Way back in the ancient days, I had the windows updates set on automatic and it downloaded all kinds of junk because that's what windows wanted to do. I now manually check for updates every week and have refused to do some updates. Windows complains about that more than my first wife ever did. But I also think I need some control and like to think I can make some decisions especially when they issue fixes to fix the fixes. :razz:
I did download g-spot and found one file that was corrupted out of maybe 50 or 60 I'm holding on the machine. That file was processed through PE-2. Odd huh?
Larry L2

Return to Computer Issues