They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Corrupt SDXC Sandisk 128 GB

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Corrupt SDXC Sandisk 128 GB

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:35 am

This is the 2nd time this has happened. The first time I just absorbed the loss of images. But this time I was shooting some 4K footage on my Camera Phone when all of a sudden when I went to review a couple of clips, it said that it could not open the file. I took the card out of the camera and plugged it into my Surface Pro. It bings and gives me a drive letter. It takes a really long time but it eventually shows up in the Disk Management Console as an Unallocated Disk. It took forever for Recuva to load, but I am having it look at the drive right now. I think this might take several days at this rate.

Any suggestions or gotchas to watch out for?

Thanks,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Corrupt SDXC Sandisk 128 GB

Postby GerryB » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:50 am

Vernon,

I had a problem with a SanDisc, lost some files!!

I purchased a new one and it came with a special offer for their recovery software, so it may be worth visiting their site to see if you can get a download.

www.lc-tech.com/rescuepro

I had some success with the tool but it also recovered files that were 12 months old and had been deleted and forgotten.

Hope this helps.

Gerry
GerryB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby VernonRobinson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:56 am

Gerry,
Thanks for the link. I do remember getting an insert for the free software in the packaging for the card. Thinking I would never need it, I ignored it. Now I can't find it. It also seems that they have gone to a subscription model. If your memory card is failing so often that you need a subscription??? Shame on San-Disk. They used to have a Sterling reputation with me. But this is 2 failures within a few months. Maybe their 128 GB micro SDXC card is not ready for prime time. Unfortunately I have two of them. I think I will cut my losses and look for another brand.

-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:38 pm

Sorry about the troubles. I have 2 Sandisk SDXC 60 GB cards and no problems. Do you think the problems are only for the 128 GB cards?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:13 pm

It could also depend on where you are purchasing the SD cards from. I have been reading about a lot of fakes that are coming to market.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby VernonRobinson » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:13 am

Thanks for the replies. An update.

So far neither EaseUS or Recuva have been able to do anything with the card. Recuva ran for 3 days making 1 I/O read per minute before it finally gave up and said no files available to be recovered.

As far as counterfeits, anything is possible. However, I did buy it from Amazon and the packaging and price were about right. The 2nd failure was on the card that Sandisk replaced. I had to return the original card and they took the Serial Number as part of the RMA process before shipping a replacement. So I really don't think they were fake.

I think I will be shelving these 2 cards as I have lost too much already. I would not recommend anyone to purchase the 128GB cards from Sandisk. Proceed at your own peril. I have had a bad experience (twice).

Regards,
-Vernon
VernonRobinson
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues