They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Microsoft's Final Attempt re WIN10

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Re: Microsoft's Final Attempt re WIN10

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:27 pm

Chris B wrote:.
7. UK's Banking System - Not listed in the article.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:28 pm

Chris B wrote:.
7. UK's Banking System - Not listed in the article.

Chris B is correct that I misread the following:

The Crown Commercial Service, Great Britain's government agency in charge of the improvement of commercial ties and procurement activities, has paid for XP extended support until 2015, but in May decided to end the contract, leaving thousands of computers at risk to attack from "low-level hackers," according to a recent article from The Guardian. According to government officials the departments in question had known for seven years that this day was coming and they would need to migrate away from Windows XP. "We expect most remaining government devices using Windows XP will be able to mitigate any risks, using the CESG guidance. Where this is not possible, they may need to review their own short term transition support," says Britain's Government Digital Service tech blog.

:eek:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chris B » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:57 am

including nuclear missile launch sites!

And 8 inch ones at that....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36385839
The report said that the Department of Defence systems that co-ordinated intercontinental ballistic missiles, nuclear bombers and tanker support aircraft "runs on an IBM Series-1 Computer - a 1970s computing system - and uses eight-inch floppy disks".
"This system remains in use because, in short, it still works," Pentagon spokeswoman Lt Col Valerie Henderson told the AFP news agency.

But then again:
"However, to address obsolescence concerns, the floppy drives are scheduled to be replaced with secure digital devices by the end of 2017."

and
The report said that the Pentagon was planning to fully replace the system by the end of 2020.

So any incoming president will not have instigated this change - let's hope they don't try and take credit when it happens ;)
Intel Core i7 8700 - 32GB DDR4 - 500GB Evo 970 SSD - 3+2 TB HDD - GTX 1080- MSI Z370 Pro - Win10 64 bit - Cannon HV30 (PAL) - Sony A6000 - GoPro 3 Black
Chris B

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:59 am

My hands are visibly trembling as I write this post.... I am posting my first comment since upgrading to windows 10. The ramifications of my decision are huge and could change the world. I have the security camera on the front porch facing the street looking for any suspicious Microsoft trucks. I have pulled down all the shades and turned off all the lights. As a security precaution I am wearing camo so if Satya Nadella pops in to tries to "borrow a cup of sugar" he will not be able to see me in the house. I will be eating ramen noodles for the foreseeable future until it is safe to go out.

I just wanted to let you know that while the tension is palpable I am safe. Not sure where this will all come out but in case the house is bugged please do not say windows 7.

As a final security check, can you tell which one I am in the picture? You might need to stare at it for a while to see me. I am camouflaged pretty well.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:35 am

I think I've got it figured out...
You're disguised as the coat on the woman's lap...
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby sidd finch » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Rats I knew I should used real fur... :)

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby sidd finch » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:25 am

Well it's been 24 hours and it looks like Y2K had more drama than this update. I tried to go to the dark side but alas everything works fine. My only quip is that I went 100% Google chrome and not a fan of Edge. I realized that I right click a lot on the back arrow to navigate and edge does not have that functionality. But.... all in all life will be ok. No lets see where that macro lens will take me next.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby Dave McElderry » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:57 am

I did the same re Edge and Chrome. I tried using Edge but I participate in one particular forum that requires a rather unconventional two-login system. Chrome logs in automatically for me, whereas Edge would not. Nothing wrong with Chrome, so that's what I'm using. It will be interesting, though, to see what happens with the extensions once they allow Edge to use them starting this week.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:01 pm

FYI, I decided to go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10 to get the free upgrade with the idea that I would be able to roll back to Windows 7 and still be able to go to Windows 10 for free in the future (the activation for the current PC is remembered in the Microsoft database). Here are some observations:

I did an upgrade in place to preserve my current settings and keep my installed programs. It worked -- sort of. It did not install the correct driver for my video card. It installed a generic video card driver with what looked like VGA (16 colors at 640 x 480). I had to manually download and install the correct driver. I use a calibrated monitor. The upgrade picked up the correct profile to use for my monitor, but it did not retain the setting to automatically load the LUT. I had to manually go back into Windows settings and set that up again. That's all working fine again. I went back over all the privacy settings and reset them as necessary and reestablished my default programs as needed. Edge is pretty lame in the current version. I opted to make Chrome my default browser instead of Edge.

On the plus side, all my applications are working. I do miss Freecell and Solitaire though. I am not using Cortana, I do not want to set up a Microsoft Account and that is required for Cortana to work. One thing really bugs me though. The search function doesn't work the same was as it did in Windows 7. For example, if you use Windows Explorer to browse your files in Windows 7, the string you type is automatically treated as a substring search and the search results would show all the files containing the string anywhere in the file name. In Windows 10, File Explorer does not behave that way. Instead the string you type will only be found if a word in the file name begins with that string. To get the same results as you would in Windows 7, you need to type ~~ before the search sting. The double tilde, in effect, changes the search to a substring search. If you aren't aware of the change you may not find all of the files you are searching for.

I'll give Windows 10 a little more time before I decide whether or not to roll back to Windows 7.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:24 am

Bob wrote:I'll give Windows 10 a little more time before I decide whether or not to roll back to Windows 7.

In my case, it's Win7 that I'll be giving some more time -- until 2020 when MS discontinues support, at which time I'll likely be taking all my Win7 machines offline ::wav::

Thanks for taking the time to compose your detailed FYI, Bob.

This would be me if I were to experience what you did :mad:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:50 am

Pretty much everything in your experience coincides with the kinds of issues I've seen Bob. I've upgraded about a dozen machines at this point and missing drivers/unfunctioning peripherals are not unusual. Nothing that usually can't be worked around. That's good info regarding the search function. I didn't know that about the double tilde, and will put it to good use. Thanks!

Dave McElderry

Postby Peru » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:38 am

Bob wrote: The search function...

I've been using the portable version of Everything Search:
Everything-1.2.1.371.zip Portable x86 English (US) 272 KB

http://www.voidtools.com/support/everyt ... _versions/

I like it much better than any of the Windows search functions. It has a small footprint and also works much more quickly than Windows Search.

There are also newer versions:
http://www.voidtools.com/
Peru

Previous

Return to Computer Issues