They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Woody's MS-DEFCON2 and the IE11 update

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Woody's MS-DEFCON2 and the IE11 update

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:32 am

Some time ago, I learned from Bob of the existence of the following web site:

http://www.askwoody.com/category/microsoft-windows-patches-security/

This was a Godsend -- make that Bobsend -- for me as I'd lost count of how many times I'd regretted installing a MS patch/update only to subsequently discover that System Restore could not, in fact, restore my system.

Woody's current recommendation is Microsoft Patch Condition 2: "Patch reliability is unclear. Unless you have an immediate, pressing need to install a specific patch, don't do it." However, he also has written that Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool should always be run whenever offered by Windows update. So I've done that.

Among MS's other "important" current recommendations is a cumulative security update for IE11, which is one of the two browsers that I often use, as it supports Norton Identity Safe but Firefox currently does not.

Question #1: Based on the following image from my system, may I assume that I already have the most current version of IE11?

IE11 about.JPG

Question #2: Would it be wise to deselect that box so that I may continue to be in control of what gets patched/updated on my machine?

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Woody's MS-DEFCON2 and the IE11 update

Postby Bob » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:01 pm

#1: That version is pretty current. Patches offered can differ depending on what's installed on your system so I can't know if that's the latest available that applies to your specific system. Is there an update for IE11 in your Windows Update list? If not, you're current.

#2: leave it checked. You do want the security updates to appear in Windows Update. You still have control over what's applied through Windows Update. FYI, IE 11 Is the final version level for Windows 7. There will be no IE 12 and the browser that replaces IE, Edge, will not be offered on Windows 7.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:35 pm

Bob wrote:#1: Is there an update for IE11 in your Windows Update list? If not, you're current.

Yes, and it's 52mb "cumulative." The reason I'm hesitating is that Woody is MS-DEFCON 2 re updates.

#2: leave it checked. You do want the security updates to appear in Windows Update. You still have control over what's applied through Windows Update.

Thanks for clarifying as checking the statement after the box seems to be allowing that, once checked, I lose control re whether to update IE11.

HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:45 pm

Bob wrote:FYI, IE 11 Is the final version level for Windows 7. There will be no IE 12 and the browser that replaces IE, Edge, will not be offered on Windows 7.

I'm aware of that, which is why I'm anxious for Mozilla to update Firefox so that it will work with Norton Identity Safe as it has in the past.

BTW Identity Safe works with the current version of Chrome, which other members are using, including Steve. However, long ago I was advised by an expert to avoid Google's offerings as much as possible because of privacy issues. Do you agree that is a real concern?

He added: "Each and every time you search with Google, a permanent record is kept of what sites you looked at, how often, including your searches on YouTube. Employers, landlords, etc. can harvest this data."
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:15 am

Was this "expert" wearing a foil lined hat when he said that? :eek: :roll:
Bob

Postby Peru » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:31 pm

Bob wrote:Was this "expert" wearing a foil lined hat when he said that? :eek: :roll:

:hyst:
Peru

Postby Bob » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:44 am

No, I don't agree that you should avoid Google services as much as possible. That would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. What I do agree with is that privacy is important and that you should learn how to manage your digital footprint. Learn the privacy related features of the software and services you use and use them according to your preferences and needs.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:36 pm

Bob wrote:Was this "expert" wearing a foil lined hat when he said that? :eek: :roll:

No, he wasn't.

But he was working toward a PhD in computer science in a highly-regarded program at a top-notch university.

At this point in time, he's likely employed by a high-paying Silicon Valley firm such as, yes, Google.

:hyst:
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:22 am

I've known lots of PhD's and, yes, some of them do wear foil hats, metaphorically speaking. In the area of digital security and privacy, it probably helps to be a bit paranoid. :hyst:

Data privacy is a bit different from data security, but they are flip sides to the same coin. The data Google collects for it's own use is not publically available. But, Google isn't the only entity collecting data. Personal data has value and many sites collect information from the people that visit them and often this is shared or sold. Personally, I feel that is a much bigger issue.

Edit: I should add that Google Analytics is the 800 lb gorilla in the analytics arena. But, the data is collected and owned by the site owners and ad servers and doesn't come from the information Google gets from its own services. Google has a strict policy of not collecting personally identifiable information, but it does allow a unique id to be assigned. This is often abused by companies maintaining a separate database of id vs user identification. Google does provide a browser extension to opt out of collection of Google Analytics data.

Again, Google is not the only entity that collects data. Learn how to manage your digital footprint.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:14 am

Bob wrote:Learn how to manage your digital footprint.

Should I Google how to do that? :hyst:

On a more serious note :-({|= I'm on it now.

Thanks for the advice! :TU:

I'll be back with a progress report.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:51 pm

George Tyndall wrote:I'll be back with a progress report.

I've learned a lot and as a result have made some adjustments, including

a) which search engines to use/not use

b) how to optimize one's browser(s)

c) how to get rid of tracking cookies when Norton is slow to do so

d) how to access information that is located in the "deeper" internet

Thanks again, Bob
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues