They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Photo Scanner with document feed?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Photo Scanner with document feed?

Postby Cinde » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 am

I currently use a Canon MultiPass MP370 (scanner/copier/printer) and a Canon CanoScan Lide 70 (flatbed scanner). It really hurts my shoulder to lift and close the lid multiple times (100 -200 pix) during one setting. I think dropping each photo into an auto feeder and letting it roll out the other side will be easier than lifting the lid, placing the photo, scanning, lifting the lid, taking out the photo and repeating the cycle with each individual photo.

I’d like to find a photo scanner with a document feed that will let me manually put in various size photos that will not bend photos (or jam) as they go through.

When I get photos from my clients they are in numeric order. The first may be an 8x10, the second a wallet size, then a 5x7, etc. I can’t really stack all the photos of one size and then move to the next size. So I know I will have to do them one at a time.

Is anyone using something like this?
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Photo Scanner with document feed?

Postby Stregga » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:44 am

Cinde,

I know what you mean bout picking up that scanner lid, what a pain! While I don't currently use a document feeder, I do use a microtek scanner which works great for me. Here is there site with one of few scanners that they offer with a doc feeder which I've seen and appeared to work as intended.

As a side note, do you use Photoshop CS2 or later? If you do, are you aware of the feature it has that allows you to scan multiple photos at one time and automaticly crop them for you? It is extremely accurate and powerful.
Gateway GM5664 Windows Vista Home Premium AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz, 1TB HDD (2 x 500GB) 3.0GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400XT (256MB OBM) Realtek HDSC Dual 19" Monitor Display
Stregga
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:41 pm

I always scan as many images as will fit on the scanner and crop them later, I usually have to crop them anyway.
The auto cropping on scans does work very well also, even in Photoshop Elements, but I still like to do a lot of things manually.

You will find that most document feeders come as attachments to scanners, be sure to check that the scanner you buy has an available document feeder attachment.
They usually cost as much or more than the scanners themselves :(
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby decolb » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:25 pm

I have an older HP 5530 flatbed with a doc feeder, but it only handles up to 5X7. Also it doesn't work very well. Don't think HP offers a doc feeder anymore, maybe that is why. I haven't loaded PSE6 yet, but in 4 you can scan mutiple photos into the editor and then go to edit/divide scanned photos which works pretty well most of the time. While on the subject, my scanner has 2400X4800 res, is that enough for DVD production? I will be doing little or no printing.

Dave
Dell XPS 8500, i7-3770, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, Samsung 8300 SSD 256GB, 2TB 7200 SATA HDD, AMD Radeon HD 7570, Win7 HP
decolb

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:30 pm

Video size for watching on a standard television is 720 x 480, most times you have no reason to use images over 1000 x 750 so your scanner is more than able to handle the task ;)
In fact, if you use images larger than 1024 x 768 they can cause problems in Premiere Elements, the larger the pixel size the better chance of a problem.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby kodebuster » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:29 am

I had (in the past) a scanner with document feeder and finally trashed it and went with a flatbed scanner.

What I found was that the rollers and guides on the document feeder were constanly getting dirty and would eventually leave faint straight lines on any scanned photo images.

I seemed to always find myself cleaning the rollers and guides with alcohol and Q-tips.

Maybe others had success with feeders, but in my case it just wasn't worth the maintenance effort involved with keeping the rollers and guides squeaky clean.

(Keep in mind that I was using the feeder to scan in a large collection of very old photos, so I'm sure that was a factor on the feeder needing constant cleaning)...
Intel i7Core Quad (i7-940) @ 2.93 Ghz, 12gig Mem 1066 MHz , 1gig Nvidia GeForce, 1TB HDD with Raid 0 (2x500), 3TB Storage
PE7, Vista-64, Sony DCR-DVD305 (MiniDVD)

If everything seems under control, then your just not going fast enough ~ Mario Andretti.
kodebuster
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Return to Computer Issues