They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

May I use my existing software indefinitely?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

May I use my existing software indefinitely?

Postby George Tyndall » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:30 pm

I am in the process of cloning my current Win7 machine, which functions amazingly.

Questions:

If ever I am forced to purchase a new machine, will it boot with the clone as if nothing happened?

Or, would I need to use Acronis' Universal Restore to restore an image of my current machine to the drive of the new machine and then run the System Repair Disk of the new machine?

Or, none of the above?

Thank you.

:tx:
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: May I use my existing software indefinitely?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:42 am

Well, a clone should give you a bootable drive. Assuming you don't need any new drivers for your new hardware..

In fact, you could load Windows 3.1 on your computer if you'd like and it will still run. Though, as time goes on, there's going to less and less support for all of these older operating systems.

Windows 10 is definitely the future, whether you like it or not. And I think that ultimately will prove to be a good thing. Microsoft's biggest challenge has been trying to support all things on every machine (while Mac has the advantage of limiting its support to its own machines). Focusing on Windows 10 will give the guys in Redmond just one operating system to focus on and perfect.

But enough lecturing. The short answer is yes. A cloned drive should be identical to the original.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:59 am

George Tyndall wrote:
If ever I am forced to purchase a new machine, will it boot with the clone as if nothing happened?

Or, would I need to use Acronis' Universal Restore to restore an image of my current machine to the drive of the new machine and then run the System Repair Disk of the new machine?

Or, none of the above?

I am skeptical about the ability of a clone from one machine properly booting on a different machine. I have, on occasion, had problems booting from a clone on the same machine and have had to go into the BIOS to set the clone as a boot device.
Peru

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:18 am

Peru wrote:I have, on occasion, had problems booting from a clone on the same machine and have had to go into the BIOS to set the clone as a boot device.

Please elaborate how to do that.

Thanks!
HP h8-1360t Win7 Home Premium 64-bit/Intel i7-3770@3.40GHz/8GB RAM/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray RW+SD DVD/CD RW+LightScribe/52" Samsung LCD HDTV (ancient 1080p)/PRE & PSE & ORGANIZER 2018/CS 5.1 & 5.5 (rare use) ::wav::
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:49 pm

Most BIOS options have a Boot Device setting and Boot Order. You can set a CD drive or other drive as the boot drive and in various order. If the system doesn't find a bootable device it moves to the next one in the order until it finds a bootable device. I am assuming you know how to get to the BIOS screen on your machine.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:39 pm

Peru

Postby Bob » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:41 pm

Two issues:

1) Drivers. If the chipset changes you will need drivers corresponding to the new chipset. This is the issue that Acronis' Universal Restore was designed to handle.

2) License. The original Windows installation creates a hash key based on the installed hardware and hardware ids/serial numbers that is used along with your product key to activate and register your copy of Windows. If the hardware changes, the hash key no longer matches. Periodically, Windows will validate the installation. The validation routine can accommodate small changes in hardware, but If enough hardware changes, Windows will treat it as a new machine and it will need to be activated again. Here the terms of the license apply. While there are exceptions, in general, Microsoft uses a one computer one operating system licensing model where the Operating system is tied to a specific computer.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks for the link.

I'm familiar with holding the ESC key at startup. Is that what you mean by "enter the BIOS"?

If yes, then I have another question. After I've created the clone, I'm assuming that the next step is to shut down, unplug the source drive, and then attempt to boot with the clone -- and if that fails, then I need to restart to enter the BIOS and select the cloned HDD.

Is that correct?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:17 pm

Bob wrote:Two issues:

1) Drivers. If the chipset changes you will need drivers corresponding to the new chipset. This is the issue that Acronis' Universal Restore was designed to handle.

Problem is, in my experience Acronis' products sometimes do not actually function as specified, despite rave reviews. Do you have any experience with Universal Restore?

2) License. ....

So if activation was refused, the only solution would be to keep the machine offline?[/

George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby George Tyndall » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:25 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:Well, a clone should give you a bootable drive. Assuming you don't need any new drivers for your new hardware.

Thanks for the reply, Steve.

My attempt to boot with the cloned drive initially failed; however, booting with a Win7 System Repair Disk (SRD) and restarting a couple of times solved the problem.

Does this likely mean that the SRD went online to find and download the correct driver, or is there some other more-likely explanation?
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:13 am

That's beyond my area of expertise, George. Hopefully someone else will know the answer.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Bob » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:07 pm

The System Repair disc isn't concerned about the system drivers and doesn't go online to download the correct ones. The startup repair function is designed to check the various components such as the boot manager and the boot configuration data that are necessary to allow the OS to begin loading and repair them if missing or corrupted. Startup repair can only fix one component at a time so you may need to boot several times if more than one thing needs fixing.

The system drivers come into play when the OS is actually loaded. That's subsequent to the boot process. Windows does come with many drivers preinstalled. But, depending on the specific hardware in the PC you may need additional drivers, updated drivers, or a manufacturer customized driver instead of the standard driver.
Bob

Postby George Tyndall » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:37 am

Bob wrote:The system drivers come into play when the OS is actually loaded. That's subsequent to the boot process. Windows does come with many drivers preinstalled. But, depending on the specific hardware in the PC you may need additional drivers, updated drivers, or a manufacturer customized driver instead of the standard driver.

Thanks for yet another clarification, Bob.
George Tyndall
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues