They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Surge Protector / Battery Backup

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Surge Protector / Battery Backup

Postby Cinde » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:00 pm

I know about surge protectors, been using them for years.

But I don't know much about the battery backup/surge protectors. I understand the principle.

For example. If I'm using a battery backup/surge protector and if I'm working at night and the power is interrupted or goes off I know it immediately because lights/lamps in the room will go off. I'll know it's time to save and close.

But if I'm working during the day in a sunny room that needs no extra lighting. If the power is interrupted or goes off... how will I know the battery backup has kicked in? Does it provide some sort of signal from the backup unit or a popup on the computer screen? Or even better a little voice that says, "HEY!!!! the power's off ! Save your work before you lose it!!! You have XXX minutes until I close down... XX minutes... now X minute... goodbye. :help:
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Surge Protector / Battery Backup

Postby jackfalbey » Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:20 am

Cinde,

I use the CyberPower 550 Uninterruptible Power Supply... it has 4 battery-powered plugs and 4 additional surge-protected non-battery-powered plugs. I have had it for 3 months now and had no power outages yet, so I can't comment on it's performance. It is connected to my PC via USB and is supposed to notify me of any outages immediately, along with remaining battery time. It is also supposed to automatically save and shut down the computer when battery power is almost gone. As I said, I haven't yet had it do its job, but hopefully it will work as suggested in that event. I bought it from Dell for $55.99.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Bob » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:40 am

Cinde,

Battery backup systems come in various capacities and you need to get one adequate for your power requirements. APC has a selector web page to help you pick a size at http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm . Other makers probably have a similar page, but I'm not aware of them. I'm most familiar with the UPS systems from APC.

Generally, the UPS units for home PCs can connect to the PC via a USB port. That's optional, but when connected you can have the power management software on the PC perform an automatic shutdown and give you status information. Generally, the UPS unit will give an audible alarm when it goes on battery power or it detects that the battery has reached the end of its life and needs to be replaced -- batteries generally last from 3 to 5 years. The power management software on the PC can also give alerts and/or popup status messages regarding going on battery or returning to AC power. Some power management software allows you to turn off the audible alerts. Basic power management software is included in Windows XP and Vista. This software was developed by APC and APC UPS units come with a more fully functional version. If you are using Windows XP SP2 and have hibernate mode enabled, the power management software can have the PC hibernate instead of shutting down. I assume Vista can do this also, but I haven't looked into it.

UPS units can also be equiped with power regulators. These units are more expensive, but are useful if you are subject to frequent brownouts. Non-regulated backups will work under these conditions too, but you'll get popups when it switches on and off the battery and frequent battery use can shorten the life of the battery.

Generally half of the outlets on the unit provide the UPS backup function and surge protection while the remainder just provide surge protection. Some units will also have surge protection for your broadband connections.
Bob

Postby Cinde » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:04 am

Jack and Bob, thank you for your quick replies.

Bob, I found some interesting info on the link you provided... Do not plug your printer into an outlet that provides battery backup power. Printers draw a very large amount of power and it is not advised that they be provided with UPS backup power because it is not economical. Also the list of feature configurations was very educational.
Cinde
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Computer Issues