They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Surface Pro

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Surface Pro

Postby momoffduty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:35 am

My husband is thinking about getting the Surface Pro to replace an old tablet. It would be used for internet browsing mostly.

My daughter is looking into getting one too. She wants to replace her old laptop.

Any recommendations on purchasing this? Things to look out for? Other options? Best time to buy (Nov)?

Thanks
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Surface Pro

Postby sidd finch » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:28 am

Mom, I have the first Surface Pro and love it it is fast and a really nice machine. The complaints that I have read about appear to be more about taste than real issues. Its heaver...not a big deal to me. The battery only lasts 6 hours.. again I am not out somewhere that I do not have access to a plug in.

It does run windows 8 which to me takes a bit of getting used to. But the new Surface Pro 3 has a I7 chip which is pretty quick. Mine has an I5 which I have no complaints about. It also has a USB 3 connection so easy enough to add additional storage.

Sidd
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." ..... Ferris Bueller
sidd finch

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:53 am

On the other hand if, 'he's using it for internet browsing mostly'...just get a cheap android tablet for browsing the web. I agree that the Surface Pro is a nice computer but overkill for just browsing the internet.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks Sidd & Treetop. Our old tablet is an android and he hates it. He would like the option to on occasion use like a laptop. The battery life isn't really an issue.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Return to Computer Issues