They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Recording What You Hear...

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Recording What You Hear...

Postby BuddyB » Fri May 30, 2014 1:05 pm

Not a new issue, but it is really puzzling me this time. Win7/64/Sound Forge Audio Studio 10: It is not recording what it hears on the computer. The issue began when switching back and forth between microphone and speakers. Everything appears to be set correctly. My AMD Via is on Stereo Mix where's it's always been except when using the mic. In sound and the recording tab it says Stereo Mix is unavailable; have tried several things to no avail. Any thoughts on how to make it available?
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Recording What You Hear...

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri May 30, 2014 2:31 pm

Hard to say without knowing how your hardware is configured in both Windows and in Sound Forge, Buddy.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Kent Frost » Fri May 30, 2014 3:02 pm

I have the same problem, and I never was able to figure out how to make it available on my machine. My workaround was a 4-inch mini-jack cable that I connected to the aux input and the speaker output. I couldn't hear anything because it kills the speakers, but I used the meter readout to tell me what an acceptable volume is. In fact, it was worth recording quiet to allow for unexpected peaks, and then raised the volume afterwards to bring it up to normal. Lots of power in Sound Forge. Been using it since 2000, back when it was Sonic Foundry, not Sony.
Dell Studio XPS 8100, Intel Core i7 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 64-Bit Win7. Camera gear: 2x Canon 550D's, 1x Canon EOS 6D body, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 & 17-50mm f2.8, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 & 24-70mm f/2.8L, and two 420EX flashes.
Kent Frost

Postby Bob » Fri May 30, 2014 3:30 pm

In the recording tab of the sound panel, did you click on the stereo mixer and click the set as default button? It's not available until you do. The stereo mixer should then have a green check next to it.
Bob

Postby TreeTopsRanch » Fri May 30, 2014 3:55 pm

A lot of computers don't have 'stereo mix' or 'what you hear' anymore.
TreeTopsRanch
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby BuddyB » Fri May 30, 2014 10:00 pm

I've got the issue resolved with a totally accidental discovery, but I feel it's a work-around because I've never had to do this before. Sound Forge has the Wav Drivers selected. My choices were MS Sound Mapper and another Mapper; don't know why it didn't give a a sound card option. In Win Sound you have two options, Mic or Stereo Mix. I have Stereo Mix selected. These have always been the two selections, and it worked fine. This evening I had the sound card open and decided to mute the Stereo Mix. In Sound all of a sudden the Stereo Mix became available. I recorded a sound, unmuted the Stereo Mix and voila I had my sound. I haven't had to do it this way before. In other words I had to mute the speaker (system recognized feedback possibilities or something) to record and unmute for playback. Kind of like the sytem thought I might have a mic open with the speakers up; something like that. In the past I didn't have to go to this trouble to record "What you hear" on the computer.
"Wichitaito-Everything is Everything"
ASUS M4A88T-M mb-AthlonII X 3 455 1.5 Cache-8GB DDR3-1600-PC3-12800(2X4GB Dual Channel)-1TB SATA3 6gb/sec 7200rpm(64MB Cache) Win10 64Bit-Sony Movie Studio Suite 13-XaraX photo/Art/Web Adobe Cloud.
BuddyB
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Return to Computer Issues