They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Ideal Specs for Sony MS Platinum 12 and >

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Ideal Specs for Sony MS Platinum 12 and >

Postby bricklavin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:28 am

Hi -

New to the forum, and video editing in general. In the market for a new machine and would really appreciate some input from more experienced folks on "ideal" computer specs for video editing, particularly running MS Platinum 12 and above (I am using 12 but would want machine to be 13 ready).

Mainly editing highlight videos for youth sports leagues, but may step up a notch to include advertising and promotional pieces for the leagues. Doing this all on a volunteer basis with very busy day job, and currently running on a Black friday special HP laptop purchased from Wal-Mart in 2009 (i.e. Intel Celeron single core). Love working in MS 12 but want to get real and do it right!

Thinking of going with an "all-in-one" trying to keep budget in the $1K range more or less . .

Suggestions for a greenie?

Thanks!
bricklavin
New User
New User

Re: Ideal Specs for Sony MS Platinum 12 and >

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:02 pm

What model of camcorder will most of your video be coming from -- and how long will your videos typically be?

For the most part, you should find adequate performance with any processor that rates about 5500 on these benchmark tests.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Version 12 and 13 also benefit from a certain level of graphics card support. So make sure you at least meet (and ideally double) the graphics card minimums listed at the bottom of this page.
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/mov ... e/techspec

That and at least 8 gigs of RAM should get you a pretty healthy machine.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby bricklavin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Thank you Steve. Both of those links are helpful. Camcorder is Sony Handycam HDR-CX430. I expect videos generally to be no more than 15 min. in length, with clips typically in the 4-10 second range, few longer than 15 secs.

Also wondering on any good suggestions for blu-ray burners for use with DVD Architect.
bricklavin
New User
New User

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:07 pm

That Sony camcorder is an AVCHD cam and should interface nicely with the program on the hardware I've recommended.

Ideally, video editors prefer a computer with two hard drives: One for your OS and programs and the other for your media files. But today's modern, fast computers and large hard drives make that not quite so necessary. It boosts your performance -- but it's not necessary for most consumer video editing.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Computer Issues