They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Gateway Desktop Issues

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Gateway Desktop Issues

Postby Greg mgm » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:46 pm

Thought I'd start a new thread on our other computer having issues.
It's an old Gateway desktop, Celeron 2.2, 256 ram, 40 gb hd 3/4 empty.
If this computer goes up in flames at any time, it's no loss. It's collecting dust but I mess with it on occasion.

Initial complaint was that it was running sluggish. I went through and deleted a ton of stuff- programs and photos. Then I ran C Cleaner and did a defrag which seemed to help marginally. Next I downloaded and ran Advanced System Care. When it was finished, the computer was much worse than before, being almost unresponsive and missing the start button and x's to close various windows, so I unplugged it. This morning it started up and now runs like it did initially, sluggish. In Task Manager under Performance, the CPU is jumping from 4- 11 % and PF usage is sitting at 261 mb. Earlier it said "Virtual Memory Too Low" I reset VM to 384 min 1152 max (per microsoft) Not sure if something is running in the background or if the sluggishness is caused by the PF usage. Ideas?
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Gateway Desktop Issues

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Are you serious about having only 256 megs of RAM? I would not attempt to run even Windows XP on less than 2 gigs of RAM.

Increasing virtual memory is bandaid fix to lack of RAM -- but a very slow bandaid at that.

Celerons are, as you know, pretty cheesy processors. They were an attempt by Intel to compete pricewise with AMD by offer cheap (though not very powerful) processors.

Are you able to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs, just to see if that makes any difference? And have you downloaded all of the Windows and Microsoft updates?

What operating system is it running by the way?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Gateway Desktop Issues

Postby Greg mgm » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:35 pm

It's XP and yes, it's 256. #-o
I know, another old computer with antiquated specs.
We do have computers that scream....we're not that bad off. :-D I like messing with our old ones.
Anyway, not sure on the updates, I'll check. I'll look in another old computer and see if I can borrow some memory.
As usual, I appreciate your help Steve!

Steve Grisetti wrote:Are you serious about having only 256 megs of RAM? I would not attempt to run even Windows XP on less than 2 gigs of RAM.

Increasing virtual memory is bandaid fix to lack of RAM -- but a very slow bandaid at that.

Celerons are, as you know, pretty cheesy processors. They were an attempt by Intel to compete pricewise with AMD by offer cheap (though not very powerful) processors.

Are you able to bump up the RAM to 2 gigs, just to see if that makes any difference? And have you downloaded all of the Windows and Microsoft updates?

What operating system is it running by the way?
Greg mgm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Return to Computer Issues