They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Rebuilding after virus - video files?

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Rebuilding after virus - video files?

Postby MaryAnne » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:25 am

Sigh - got a really nasty virus that "ate" my operating system (Windows 7). After countless dollars and time I thought I was back in business. Someone asked me for a copy of a recent travel dvd I had made before the crash and I said, sure no problem. However, when I launched the program (Premier 12),and opened the file, the program tells me I am missing a file. Upon investigation I am not missing A file - I am missing EVERY video I used to make the video. For example - videos from my own camera, downloads from Muvipix and iphones. OMG! My business is tanked!

I have carbonite and an external backup - and I don't see them there either. Am I not looking in the right place. Before I call carbonite I thought you might have some suggestions. How can I be missing every video from my entire computer? Trying to stay calm.....

Mary Anne :conf:
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Re: Rebuilding after virus - video files?

Postby Steve Grisetti » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:46 am

I can understand that a virus could eat the files on your computer, Mary Anne, but if you've got the files backed up to Carbonite, they must be there!

Were these files on your C drive or a second internal drive or on an external drive?

It's possible but not likely the virus eat your media files in your backup too. And that includes the backup to your external drive. I'd double check there -- and then pat yourself on the back for having the wisdom to store your backups on Carbonite!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Peru » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:57 pm

Is there a search function on Carbonite so that you can search by a file name or extension?

Can I assume you tried the same type of search on the external drive?

Did you check the Recycle Bin?
Peru

Postby MaryAnne » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Sadly, this situation is not getting better. Carbonite rep says the program does NOT backup videos/motions/backgrounds unless you go to each file and tell it to. It would have been nice had they stated this someplace that was visible rather than about 4 pages into what the program will and won't back up, "automatically." I understand the reason (large file size of videos) just wished they had been more upfront.

And I beginning to see that programs installed on your external drives don't always back up your videos either. I find some but not all, epecially downloaded stuff like motions/backgrounds. And as for my elements organizer I have no clue where that went. I looked in all the places that it should have been, did a search and nada.

So what I have learned is that I need to actually do a transfer of ALL my files per video on to the external drive rather than having some program do the work of selecting what I need (or it thinks I need).

Thank God I have an ipad version of all my videos because I am literally having to recreate everyone of them - sigh......
MaryAnne
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:37 am

I use this to back up my drives.

http://www.macrium.com/

There are lots of 'How to' guides on their website to help you set up the software.

I can recommend it from personal experience and if you ever need it the on-line support is exemplary.
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Return to Computer Issues