They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2018
Not quite sure what our site has to offer?
Check out the
Muvipix Video Tour

Finding hidden temp files

Talk about computer software/hardware problems, related to digital video or otherwise.

Finding hidden temp files

Postby momoffduty » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 am

Windows 7 SSD was filling up and I did move a few things over to my other drive. I had 40G+ of free space after moving things around. The last few months I now only have 20G free space. My scratch disks are pointed to a folder on the D drive....After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere Pro. The last few months I have worked mostly in ACR & PS. I found this from fstoppers about hidden temp files on SSD. Has anyone used the program recommended or do you have other options? I also read about hibernating on Win 7 takes up a lot of space.

https://fstoppers.com/post-production/h ... miere-5076
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Re: Finding hidden temp files

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Mom I have to clean my SSD drive all the time. For me it fills up from from all the temp and render files from Premiere Pro.After I am completed with a project I delete all the rendered files. They can be found here:

C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files

and

C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache

You also need to make sure you have checked "view hidden files" so you can get to them

Sidd
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” Albert Einstein
sidd finch

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:42 pm

sidd finch wrote:...I delete all the rendered files. They can be found here:

C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files

and

C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache

You can set the Adobe Media Cache files to default to your non-system drive.
i7 6700k, Z170-P mobo, Win7 64 bit, 32Gb RAM, SanDisk 240GB SSD, WD 150GB Raptor, LG BD Burner, Akasa card reader, Samsung Monitor, Sony HVR-A1, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:29 pm

Thank you John...Learn something every time I am here...

Sidd
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” Albert Einstein
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:30 pm

I have Photoshop, After Effects & Premiere Pro cache folders on the "D" drive. I also have a cache folder for Bridge CS6 on the "D" drive. Looking around I realized that I still use Bridge CS5 and that was going to the "C" drive. I purged that file and I gained 10G free space. The folder is set up on the "D" drive now.

I can't see the root directory of C:users/owner/app data..... Stops before app data. How do I get to check show hidden files? I've done that before, but forgot how.

I wonder if Bridge CS6 still has a cache on the "C" drive before I changed the folder? And I use ACR for every photo. Does it have its own cache file or is that tied to Bridge?

Thanks John & Sidd.
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby sidd finch » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Click the “View” tab on File Explorer’s ribbon and click the “Hidden items” checkbox in the Show/hide section. File Explorer will immediately show hidden files and will remember this setting until you change it.

Sidd
sidd finch

Postby momoffduty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:12 pm

Sidd, I didn't see that option on Win 7. I ended up Control Panel>Folder Options>ViewTab,checkmarked show hidden folders. Posting it here to help someone else or me later on.

I found that in Bridge there is a Preference for ACR. I have mine set to C drive with 1GB max. I think I will leave that on the faster drive.

I looked for the Nik Collection cache files and couldn't find them. I wonder if those are cached in PS?

Yesterday after I purged the Bridge CS5 cache, my C drive had 28G free. Now it is reading 25G free. This morning it was 23G free. Why the fluctuation?

I did find Bridge CS6 & Adobe Commons with close to 20GB. The last item date is a few years ago in the folders. Must have been when I switched my cache files from C to D.

Should I leave the Media Cache folders in C and delete its contents? Uploading photos of the 2 locations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm

[rant on]

I find it REALLY IRRITATING to have some clown somewhere deciding that we are still in the world where users have just one hard drive and that is the C: drive so EVERYTHING must go there.

No option; no choice; default to C:.

Now I do understand that there are lots of computer users out there who really do not know/do not care. But there are quite a lot of us now that DO know and DO care.

So how about checking for multiple HDDs/SSDs and, if more than one present, then setting it as an OPTION when installing software rather than just copping out as though we were all still in the 1980s?

[/rant off]
i7 6700k, Z170-P mobo, Win7 64 bit, 32Gb RAM, SanDisk 240GB SSD, WD 150GB Raptor, LG BD Burner, Akasa card reader, Samsung Monitor, Sony HVR-A1, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:31 pm

John 'twosheds' McDonald wrote:[rant on]

I find it REALLY IRRITATING to have some clown somewhere deciding that we are still in the world where users have just one hard drive and that is the C: drive so EVERYTHING must go there.

No option; no choice; default to C:.

Now I do understand that there are lots of computer users out there who really do not know/do not care. But there are quite a lot of us now that DO know and DO care.

So how about checking for multiple HDDs/SSDs and, if more than one present, then setting it as an OPTION when installing software rather than just copping out as though we were all still in the 1980s?

[/rant off]

Excellent point John. I've often wondered the same thing but don't recall ever having stated it as such.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Studio XPS 435T, 2.93 GHz i7-940; Win 10-64; 24GB RAM; Samsung 512GB SSD (OS); two 1TB HDDs; GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
Dave McElderry

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:03 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Excellent point John. I've often wondered the same thing but don't recall ever having stated it as such.

I am really quite passive. Honest. :hyst: But some things really just get to me...must be an age thing?
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby momoffduty » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:50 pm

I've always said John is eloquent :) Plus 1 on the rant.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:23 am

I'm with John :TU:
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby karri » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:55 am

Cheryl thanks for this post! Helped me regain a lot of space :)
karri
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:43 pm

karri wrote:Cheryl thanks for this post! Helped me regain a lot of space :)

You are welcome karri :) It is great to have new found free space.
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Since I posted about the cache locations back in March my C drive has mysteriously filled up yet again. Back in March I had 44G of free space and now down to 23G.
I've changed the cache locations for: Bridge, PS, PrPro, & AE. Cleared all of the old caches back in March. I did find that ACR was still on C, but that was only a few Gs.
I've deleted temporary files using the disc sweep and cleared Sony's Playmemories Temp files.

I did not do a defrag on C since it is an SSD.

Any ideas?
aka Cheryl
momoffduty

Next

Return to Computer Issues