They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

TV commercial production and specs

Have a [video] service you'd like to promote - whether online or at your home/office? Do you need a video related professional? This is the place. Post your inquiries, website links and requests for services here. Of course, no spam please ! - has to be digital video/photography related.

TV commercial production and specs

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:00 pm

Tonight during a conversation with a local businessperson (and friend) I may have opened a door. He periodically has had TV commercials produced and ran on our local TV stations. I've never been terribly impressed with the quality of these vids, and mentioned that I do video editing and thought I could do a better job with my own camcorder and editing than they did. His ears perked up and he mentioned that he had been thinking of doing another commercial in the near future. I honestly think it may happen.

My question at this point is, what kind of specs, or requirements will the station or cable company have regarding the finished format of this commercial? Is there special things that you have to do regarding lead-in, or out? What medium would it be delivered on? What file format? Has anyone had experience doing this sort of thing that you could point me toward a standard spec?
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Re: TV commercial production and specs

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:06 pm

I think you will find a huge difference between the requirements by local cable stations and local network affiliate stations Dave.

When it comes down to it you may have to wait and get specs from each station that will air the commercial. Most affiliates are now using HDV or High Def MPEG as they have all gone to High Definition.

The local cable channels may not require high definition and will most likely be happy with DV-AVI on a flash drive or DVD.

Ken knows quite a bit about production for local cable tv shows, maybe he has some insight :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:00 am

Dave McElderry wrote:.....periodically has had TV commercials produced and ran on our local TV stations.....what kind of specs, or requirements will the station or cable company have regarding the finished format of this commercial? Is there special things that you have to do regarding lead-in, or out? What medium would it be delivered on? What file format?

Sounds like a great opportunity, Dave. Why not contact the local TV stations directly to see what the options might be?
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Dave McElderry » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:10 am

Am planning to do exactly that. I was surprised by Chuck's answer that the requirements might vary. I thought there would be some kind of standardized spec that all broadcasters would use. I had thought that I remembered that there was one or more people here who had experience with this and would have the resource at hand. It's possible that when I call they may just be able to send or e-mail me a copy of what they need.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Return to Business Services