They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Prices at PC Ultimate Videos.com

Have a [video] service you'd like to promote - whether online or at your home/office? Do you need a video related professional? This is the place. Post your inquiries, website links and requests for services here. Of course, no spam please ! - has to be digital video/photography related.

Prices at PC Ultimate Videos.com

Postby cluelessidiot » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:52 am

Can you guys check me prices in the services section of my website and see if I'm undercharging/ovecharging. Thanks.
cluelessidiot
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Re: Prices at PC Ultimate Videos.com

Postby Paul LS » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:04 am

You didn't add a link.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby cluelessidiot » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 am

cluelessidiot
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:41 am

It's hard to say. You rarely see prices specked out that way.

50 cents a photo for a slideshow? Why not say slideshows up to 50 photos: $25; slideshows up to 100 photos: $50; etc.

That might make more sense to most people. At least to me.

Otherwise, your prices not only seem reasonable, but a real bargain. Don't be afraid to charge what you're worth!

If a wedding video shoot and edit goes for between $700 and $1200, a one-hour business edit ought to be worth more than $99.95, IMHO.

Or is your market mostly people who just want to do some basic editing to home movies and put them on DVD?
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cluelessidiot » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:56 am

Yeah, that's what I orginally planned but I some of the other video phto transfer businesses in my town just put 50 cents per photo. They probably put this so that people wouldn't think that even if you have 52 photos, you won't be charged for the price of a up to 100 photo slideshow. Yeah, well unfortunately, I have real good competitors. Like one of my competitors charges only charges a little more than me, but they have at least 10 years of experience and another that's probably been around at least 2-3 years charges only $17 for one hour and $25 for two hours of tranferred video. Thanks for suggestions about the business editing, I wasn't quite sure how much to charge for it. So how do you think $150 or $200 is still in the range of reasonable for the business editing?
cluelessidiot
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:58 am

Actually, after doing a bit more research, I found site that offers similar services.

They charge 2 to 3 times what you're asking, but they also spec it out per slide, etc.

Might be worth looking at.
http://www.sucasaproductions.com/index.htm
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby cluelessidiot » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:19 am

Thanks for the reference, but I think if I charged as much as them I wouldn't get any business. :oops: They did give me the idea though that I could do shipped projects also. Thanks a lot f your help and if you have anything more to add, please do.
cluelessidiot
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby momoffduty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:16 pm

The sucasa Productions has some very good samples. Another one is: http://www.adamscustomslideshows.com/gallery.htm

I searched many slideshow businesses for ideas last year and on one site they said they never charge for music. The client had to provide a CD (not a burned CD) or they would purchase the music for them (guessing iTunes) and still no charge. Wondering if this policy is relative to the using music issue/buying the rights etc.?
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby cluelessidiot » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:21 am

Do you mind critiquing my work? I want to know how I can improve. Thanks, Here is some samples of my work. http://pcultimatevideos.com/samples.html
cluelessidiot
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Doreen L. » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:28 am

Okay, I'm gonna have to be honest here. Just because you have the option of a ton of different transitions, it doesn't mean you should use as many as you can in a slideshow. It would look a lot better if you use less and give the show more consistancy throughout. The other thing is that all your photos are static. If you give them a little panning and zooming (aka Ken Burns effect), it would make the show come to life. Not a lot, but enough to give some movement (and you don't have to do it to every picture). You also many want to coordinate the changing of the pictures in time to the music more and put in captions of who the people are.

The video was actually very cute. However, I don't know if I would have used that particular music. I think maybe something lighter would have better enhanced the mood.
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
http://tworiversailing.com/
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby cluelessidiot » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:52 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I just don't know if clients in my town really want to pay extra for that kind of stuff. I only charged $35 for those slideshows, so if I added all the extra work in, I would definitely want to charge more. I suppose I could offer "packages" with the inexpensive ones being like that and the maximum like you suggested. Good advice about the transitions, but do you think I should just stick to one transition or do a couple over and over? About the music, that was the client's chosen music.
cluelessidiot
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Postby Doreen L. » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:08 am

If you want a fast way to produce impressive slideshows, I would take a look at ProShow Gold or ProShow Producer. It takes seconds to do a little pan and zoom and will make a tremendous difference. This software also has a ton of easy to apply transitions. For a simple show, the fade to transition is your friend. Then, during different songs, for instance, you can add a unique transition for that song or at the chorus of a song. You can use the page turn every time you change to a differen subject (in this case, a family member). Check out the slideshows in the gallery here and see what people have done. Also, at the ProShow forum and site (Photodex), there are tons of really good slideshows to give you ideas.

If you want to build a business, you have to separate yourself from your competitors and give your customers a reason to pick you over the other guy. It may take you a little longer in the beginning but as you get accustomed to producing these shows, the faster you'll be.
Dell XPS410 Duo Core, 4GB RAM, 2 360 gig hard drives, 1 500 gig external hard drive
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby jackfalbey » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:15 am

You might also want to take a look at some of the articles at http://www.videobusinessadvisor.com. It's a user-to-user forum specifically for video business owners like us, and there's a ton of good info on everything from pricing, marketing and other services you can provide, and they have lots of free downloadable forms, sample contracts & press releases too. The monthly rate just jumped up from $12.95 to $29.95, which is why I'll be cancelling my subscription there at the end of this month, but I think it would be worth it for you to sign up for just one month to get access to the wealth of video-business-related information there.

Feel free to take a look at my website below; my prices are still a bit less than others in my area, but I have raised them substantially from when I first opened last year. At first I felt like I couldn't charge as much as the other guys since they had tons of experience, but I realized that my work was just as good, and after all it's the product that the client is paying for, not the resume'. As Steve said, "don't be afraid to charge what you're worth!" Which also means don't be afraid to charge what the service is worth compared to the competition in your area.
ASRock Z77 Pro4, Xeon E3-1230 V2, Windows 7 64-bit, 32GB RAM, 3GB GTX 660 ti, 240GB SSD for OS/programs, 3x640GB in RAID0 for projects
Panasonic GH2; Adobe Creative Cloud
http://www.CMDStar.com
http://www.FamilyTreePhotography.co
jackfalbey
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Chuck Engels » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:19 am

Out of a 30 image slideshow you need 28 transitions (if my math is right :) )
I use 27 cross dissolves and one other, probably a clock wipe, on the Wedding slideshows that I do.
The company I am doing them for only wants Cross Dissolves but that doesn't always work so once in awhile they get a 'clock wipe' or something else like a 'push'.

Also, it doesn't take long to keyframe a little pan and zoom, and I don't like to pan and zoom all the photos either. Once you are good at it they will only take you a few minutes each to add a whole lot of dimension and make you different from everyone else.

Part of what sets you apart from the rest is what do you do that they don't. Adding a little pan and zoom will surely set you apart :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Doreen L. » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:25 am

Ooops, I said fade in when I meant to say crossfade. :oops:

I also wanted to add that your aspect ratio on some of the photos in the second show look off (they looked squished). You don't want something like that in a sample show.
Doreen L.
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Next

Return to Business Services