They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Rendering Problem

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Re: Rendering Problem

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:26 pm

If your project plays after rendering there is a setting to turn that off ;)
I think it is under Edit/Project Settings/Play after rendering (or something like that).

I render often and always have the WAB covering the entire project.
It is only when I am exporting a portion of the project that I adjust the WAB to fit just that part.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:33 pm

momoffduty wrote:Why would you want the WAB to cover the entire project? I render a few photos at a time to check the timing, pans/zooms and then when I render out the next few photos alt+[ for the beginning & alt+] for the end of the WAB.

This sounds like a difference in workflow. If I have a simple project I often don't render at all. If I have a project that has lots of keyframing and adjustments I like to render as I go for best quality of playback. I work on a section, render, work on another section, render, etc. It's only going to render the parts that haven't been rendered before, so having the WAB cover the entire project works for me.
Be yourself; everyone else is taken.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Jayell wrote:My thoughts exactly! I wouldn't have the patience to constantly re-render and review the entire timeline ;).

Why do you have to review the entire timeline?

EDIT: I see what Chuck was saying. The setting is available under Edit>Preferences>General.

Asus X570-E motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz; 64GB DDR4; GeForce RTX 2060 6GB; 1TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD
Dave McElderry

Postby momoffduty » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Dave McElderry wrote:Why do you have to review the entire timeline?

You can always hit the space bar & it will stop playing. My workflow is mostly with slideshows. I place a few photos and render/preview to see if the timing is okay. I like to keep the flow consistent with the music. With video, I edit my clips and place on the timeline. Only later do I add dip to black or dissolves between the clips since timing isn't an issue because there isn't any music. If there is a soundtrack, it would just be ambient and no timing involved.

Very interesting how everyone has his or her own workflow. :-k
aka Cheryl
Intel i7 3770, Windows 7 Pro w/SP1, 64 bit, Intel 520 Series SSD, 32G RAM, 2 – 2T RAID, (1T external), GTX 550 Ti graphics
momoffduty

Postby EleanorAliza » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:50 pm

Jayell wrote:
momoffduty wrote:Why would you want the WAB to cover the entire project? I render a few photos at a time to check the timing, pans/zooms and then when I render out the next few photos alt+[ for the beginning & alt+] for the end of the WAB.

My thoughts exactly! I wouldn't have the patience to constantly re-render and review the entire timeline ;).

I just replied to this quote hit submit and oops not posted. So if this comes up twice, forgive me.
Thank you all for your help. After learning what it was called "work area bar" I did find a small reference to it in Adobe's Classroom in a Book, but no advice on how to turn it back on automatically.
In my newbie mode, I had read about deleting a Render from the timeline, which I did. Because I had done so many changes to my slideshow I thought it would be better to re-render it all together. I did not know that it only added a new render for the changes and new clips. I thought it rendered the whole thing each time and that I would have a lot of excess preview files on my HD. So when I rendered anew, it only took a few seconds, so I checked the timeline and only the first 5 clips were green. I finally figured out to grap the "gripper" little white square in middle of WAB and move further past my project. Now it rendered it all. This was a two hour lesson LOL. Anyway, it is not that I ever want to delete my Render ever ever again, just that it would be nice to have it do it automatically once again.
Oh well, live and learn.
Again, thank you all and this wonderful forum. I would have been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out all alone.
Aliza
Vostro 410, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8300 (2.83GHz), 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel, 2-250 GB Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3650, Optiarc 16X DVD+/-RW, 16X DVDROM, IEEE 1394A, 22" UltraSharp Digital Monitor, WIN XP SP3
EleanorAliza

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:37 am

Chuck Engels wrote:I've sent an email to Adobe asking if there is a way to reset this.

Here is their response;
Adobe wrote:This is the "as designed" behavior. If the work area bar is modified manually then after this it will not adjust automatically. Assumption here is that if the user has manually adjusted the work area bar they want to keep it that way.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Steve Grisetti » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:46 am

That's pretty unacceptable -- and pretty faulty logic too!

And, strangely, that wasn't the case until version 8 either!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby EleanorAliza » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:28 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:That's pretty unacceptable -- and pretty faulty logic too!

Hi again Steve,
I am using PE4 and cannot reset the WAB to original setting either. I accidently moved it, now I have to double click on it to get it to go to end when I want to render again.
Aliza
Vostro 410, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8300 (2.83GHz), 4GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz Dual Channel, 2-250 GB Serial ATA HD 7200 RPM 8MB Cache, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3650, Optiarc 16X DVD+/-RW, 16X DVDROM, IEEE 1394A, 22" UltraSharp Digital Monitor, WIN XP SP3
EleanorAliza

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:29 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:That's pretty unacceptable -- and pretty faulty logic too!

If there's a way to do it in V7 I'd like to know what it is. I've been playing around with it in both V7 and V9 and can't get it to go back into automatic mode in either.

I sure do agree that it's faulty logic. When clicking around adjusting the position of the cursor it's pretty easy to grab the WAB and adjust it accidently. Aliza's not the first one this ever happened to.

Dave McElderry

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Oh, and thanks for the follow-up Chuck. :TU:

Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:51 pm

What's worse is that it's a property that's saved across sessions. If you move the work area bar and save the project, you are stuck with this behavior for the life of the project.

I did some snooping and found the line in the prel file that specifies the behavior. With the project closed, edit the prel file in wordpad and, using "find", search for "WorkBarAdjusted". In Premiere Elements 7, you'll see this line:

Code: Select all
<MZ.WorkBarAdjusted>true</MZ.WorkBarAdjusted>

Edit that line to change "true" to "false". Don't change anything else. Save the file and the next time you open the project, the work area bar behavior will be back to the way it was before you moved it.
Bob

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Very nice Bob.
Considering this is a pretty easy fix it would not be difficult to create some sort of reset function inside the program.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dave McElderry » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Bob wrote:

Edit that line to change "true" to "false". Don't change anything else. Save the file and the next time you open the project, the work area bar behavior will be back to the way it was before you moved it.

But be sure that you have a copy of your project file before you do any editing! Murphy will get you if you don't.

That's a keeper Bob. Nice find! \:D/

Dave McElderry

Postby Bob » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 pm

I forgot to mention that changing from "true" to "false" does not change the size of the work area bar (WAB). The ends will stay where they were. It's probably best to double click on the WAB and save the project first. But, if you don't to do that before you edit the prel file, it is not a problem. Next time you add another clip or double click on the work area bar the ends of the WAB will be reset. Double clicking on the WAB won't affect the setting of the "WorkBarAdjusted" property and the WAB will continue to automatically adjust as you work on the timeline.

I agree, Chuck. Adding a reset function for the WAB would be very easy. All they would need to do is reset the ends of the WAB (they already have the code for that in the double click action) and change the value of WorkBarAdjusted. The problem is that the programmers have to write to the specification the program architect gave them. I don't know whether Adobe has received enough complaints to change the architect's mind on this.
Bob

Postby EleanorAliza » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Bob wrote:What's worse is that it's a property that's saved across sessions. If you move the work area bar and save the project, you are stuck with this behavior for the life of the project.

I did some snooping and found the line in the prel file that specifies the behavior. With the project closed, edit the prel file in wordpad and, using "find", search for "WorkBarAdjusted". In Premiere Elements 7, you'll see this line:

Bob, I know this sounds really stupid, but how to I get the prel file? How do I edit it in wordpad? Can you give us newbies a step by step directions, I would love to get my automatic WAB back, but I don't know how to do what you suggest. Don't want to risk fooling around with such things unless I know EXACTLY what button to push next. I would truly appreciate a step by step on this when you have the time and inclination.
Thanks to you all,
Aliza
EleanorAliza

PreviousNext

Return to Prior Versions