They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

Annoying "pulse" when fading in/out text

Discussions concerning Premiere Elements version 1 - 4.

Annoying "pulse" when fading in/out text

Postby Ron Burkett » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Ok, this is gonna take more words than it should but... here goes.

When I add text and select "fade in" or "fade out", when I play it, it starts to fade in as normal, then when the time indicator hits the keyframe, the text "pulses" brighter. Then returns to normal as the time indicator plays across the span between the fade in/out keyframes. Then, it "pulses" brighter again when it hits the keyframe to start the fade out. When I mouse over the keyframes, they show opacity at 100%, and the line between them shows 100%. The color of the text doesn't seem to matter.

I made several projects with PE3 and this was not an issue. However I'm working on my second project with PE4 and have noticed it on both.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ron
Dell XPS 410, 2.13 GHz, 2GB SDRAM, 256MB ATI Raedon X1300 Pro video card, Vista Home Premium, PE4
http://www.basecamp-1.com/ronsworld/
Ron Burkett

Re: Annoying "pulse" when fading in/out text

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi Ron, Welcome to Muvipix :)

Are you using the standard Titles and Fade In from the right click menu?
Is the text animated in any way?
Have you rendered the preview?
Have you tried a different font?

I hope that is enough questions for now.
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:30 pm

How long ago was your last PE3 project? Maybe your pupils are slow to respond to the sudden increase and decrease in luma values.

I used a color picker to measure the luma value of the text and it is definitely not pulsing where the keyframes are located, at least on my CRT.

Is the text over video?
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:56 pm

I think I see what you are seeing. The text becomes "bold." The text goes from thick to thin or thin to thick. The opacity has nothing to do with it. And I only see it if the text is over video, not just a title by itself.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby RJ Johnston » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:41 pm

There seems to be a problem with opacity value 100.0. When I lower the opacity values of the fade-in and fade-out keyframes to 98.6 then the "pulse" stops. This is annoying indeed.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Chuck Engels » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:29 pm

Good work though RJ, at least lowering the opacity to 98 will stop the pulsing. Yes that would be another in a long line of workarounds rather than fixes but at least it is something.

RJ, you sure do come up with the answers when we need them, has anyone ever told you how much we appreciate you here :)
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Wheat King » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:27 pm

I haven't even been able to replicate it yet. must be doing something "wrong" ;)
_| /-\ /\/\ /-\ |_
Wheat King
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Burkett » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:36 pm

Thank you all for your prompt responses. And thanks for the welcome, I've been visiting here a good bit lately, especially since upgrading to PE4. Now, let's see if I can answer Chuck's questions -

Are you using the standard Titles and Fade In from the right click menu? Yes
Is the text animated in any way? No
Have you rendered the preview? Yes
Have you tried a different font? Yes

I have also noticed it does NOT do it on graphics. For instance, I have a circle appearing around someone's face in a photograph. It fades in and out smoothly, with no "pulses".

RJ, my last PE3 project was only about a month ago, and on all the same equipment. Also, since you asked, this text is over video, but the first time I noticed it (on my first PE4 project) it was not over video. (White text on black background)

I tried your "98 percent" trick and it worked satisfactorily, however, I'd hate to think I'm gonna have to do that every time I add text.
Dell XPS 410, 2.13 GHz, 2GB SDRAM, 256MB ATI Raedon X1300 Pro video card, Vista Home Premium, PE4
Ron Burkett

Postby RJ Johnston » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:00 am

I don't know how many of these titles you have to fade-in and fade-out, but after you have adjusted the opacity for one title, you can copy the opacity effect and then paste to all the other titles. You can also save the opacity settings as a preset by clicking on the Opacity effect, right-click and Save as Preset. Then you can apply the preset to future titles and do both the fade-in and fade-out in one swipe.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby Ron Burkett » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks again RJ. I previously had not done any work with presets, but figured there had to be an easier way than doing each keyframe in each title one by one. Looks like I've messed around and learned something! ...and that's always a good thing. I'm sure there's much more of that to come (especially with the help of this forum).
Ron Burkett

Postby RJ Johnston » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:49 am

I though I would tell you what else I found that doesn't work well at "100%." Burning a DVD at the maximum bitrate 8.00. Use 7.55. I'll post a new thread on it.
RJ Johnston
Premiere Member
Premiere Member

Postby JohnnyO » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:24 am

I tried to re-produce this issue and I do not see it. I added text over video, faded in and out the title, and I do not see any change at the keyframe. I even steped through frame by frame. The test title I used had no effects.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby JohnnyO » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:28 am

Wait - I see it. I forgor that I set the opacity to 98% wkile testing. When I set it back to 100% I see the brightness change at the keyframe. Looks like right at the keyframe it gets slightly brighter, then slowly fades out from there.
JohnnyO
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Ron Burkett » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:00 pm

So... does Adobe ever issue patches for problems like this, or is it just addressed in subsequent versions?
Ron Burkett

Postby Chuck Engels » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:28 pm

If history repeats itself then there should be a version 4 patch, as there was a version 3 patch.
Still, in 3 versions they have only issued 2 patches and one wasn't much of a patch but more of a fix for a single problem for PAL users.

Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Next

Return to Prior Versions