They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

So Dee Dee, how do you like Final Cut Express now?

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Re: So Dee Dee, how do you like Final Cut Express now?

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:36 am

Hmm I killed the conversation. :(

Guys, I really am sorry that I am absent so much. I really love video work, and especially this forum as it is ran by a brother in Christ. I forgot to mention that in addition to my theology forum, I also run another theology site of my own which, among other things, has a approx 150 page commentary that I wrote on Matthew 24 - so I am a busy gal.
Dee Dee Warren

Postby Chuck Engels » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:10 am

I don't think you killed the conversation Dee Dee, we do know that you are busy :)
We will be looking forward to any review you can give us on Final Cut Pro as compared to Premiere Elements.
Who better to compare the two than you, a newly claimed MAC lover :)

Your forum is great by the way, but where is the commentary you wrote?
1. Thinkpad W530 Laptop, Core i7-3820QM Processor 8M Cache 3.70 GHz, 16 GB DDR3, NVIDIA Quadro K1000M 2GB Memory.

2. Cybertron PC - Liquid Cooled AMD FX6300, 6 cores, 3.50ghz - 32GB DDR3 - MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4G, 4GB Video Ram, 1024 Cuda Cores.
Chuck Engels
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:51 am

Thanks for the kind compliment.

My other site is http://www.preteristsite.com and the commentary is there at
http://www.preteristsite.com/plain/warrenend.html
Dee Dee Warren

Postby jburrows500 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:38 am

I think I might be one of only a handful of Mac owners who actually tried Mac and went back to windows. Breifly, I had an old box and was looking to upgrade. Video editing (home only) was my purpose in buying a new box. I researched the purchase for more than 6 months and ended up purchasing a refurbished mac pro 2.66 for about $2100 from Amazon (Warehouse deals). I added another 2GB of ram and 2 sata 500GB hard drives. I also ordered FCE from apple. Total investment was around $3000. My first impression when the mac pro arrived was of the excellent build quality. Installing the drives was a simple slide out bracked. Ram was a slide out card. Very very nice machine. No exposed wires, etc. The start up is very quick.. the noise is about average.. not loud, but not whisper quiet either. Let me fast forward 28 days.. 2 days prior to the 30th day where either it goes back, or I own it... I removed my drives.. packed up the mac and shipped it back to Amazon. I called Dell, ordered a 720XPS, installed my 2 500gb drives.. fired up vista, installed PE4 and aside from saving about 800.. I find I like vista just fine.... About 10 days into ownership I was asking myself if I bought into th hype.. or was I just not getting the "Apple experience". I was not impressed with iPhoto.. I felt Picassa did everything iPhoto did. Right clicking on 30 photos to rename them is a big deal with an apple.. you have to use automator to batch rename. FCE was for me no different than Premier.. And yes.. apples do crash. In just under 30 days I would say I had at least 4 times where the color wheel just spun and then nothing.. had to close out and reopen application. Maybe I shouldnt call it a "crash".. no blue screen or anything.. but wierd things do happen on apple as well. Dont get me wrong.. 30 days might not be long enough to make a solid determination. But for me.. I saw no big positives over windows.. I sometimes think apple is genius in marketing and creating this small community of people who make it a hobby of slamming windows users.. making them feel like if they only knew whats on the other side... For me.. I looked on the other side.. and to tell you the truth.. not much different than this side.. For what its worth..
jburrows500
New User
New User

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:45 am

It took me more than 30 days to be fully convinced that this is the better operating system for me. I am now in love with my computer experience, but it is not I am sure the best thing for everyone. I love it and am excited to tell others is all. However, I am buying a Windows laptop in a few weeks - it better suits my needs for what I need a laptop for. I am sure some of my Mac friends will gasp. However, the windows machine is much more suitable for those needs (primarily my job).

I just added a another hard drive to my MacPro (I have three out of the four bays filled) and it is shockingly easy as you described above. I hope it is as easy to add more RAM, I am going to up it to 4gigs soon. It sounds like you and I have the same machine, I bought mine refurbished as well, but from Apple. I don't find it loud, but it runs hot - sometimes my legs sweat sitting next to it.

And I do think part of the "Apple experience" is the community and perhaps the hype that makes the community. But I just find it nice that by getting a new computer all of a sudden I am in the middle of this very helpful, very geeky and cool group. That is what is right for me.

Oh btw, since this thread, I heard on Typical Mac User about a free Mac virus program, which says on its homepage that right now NO viruses are actively attacking OSX users, but provides a program to be proactive anyways. So upon the advice here, I downloaded it and am using it. It is called ClamX for anyone interested, and it is free.

I went to the big event for the leopard premiere last night at the Apple store, so I can say, been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Literally. I am wearing the t-shirt right now.
Dee Dee Warren

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:55 am

Dee Dee, I hope you'll continue to "blog" your experience. The fact that you're using a Mac for what it does best and a PC for what it does best shows you've got an open mind (in addition to an infective enthusiasm for life).

Can't wait to see your first FCE project!
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:59 am

Steve, now that Leopard fully supports Boot Camp, I will also be keeping a fully running copy of Windows on my Mac, primarily for Premiere Elements and a few other video-editing programs, animation programs, that I have not found an equivalent for that I like in the Mac. I love VideoRedo and Animation Shop and there is just no Mac equivalent IMHO. It was in BETA before so I didn't want to commit. I think though that I will stick with XP Pro. Vista though beautiful is still way too buggy for me.
Dee Dee Warren

Postby jburrows500 » Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:23 pm

Dee Dee,
Yes, installation of ram is as easy as the install of your hard drives... OWC has a great video on how to install the ram.. here is the link: http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/installation.cfm It is simply a slide out board.. wear a anti static cord, or touch the case a lot... You will find much debate on macrumors about the correct configuration of the additional ram as it is installed with the original 1GB.. The Macpro is the cleanest computer I have ever seen... Not a wire showing and so easy for the consumer to make changes...
jburrows500
New User
New User

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:00 am

Ohh maybe you can help with a question - mine didn't come with 1gig originally it had 2 gigs, so should I just buy two more 1 gig cards? and do they go in the next two slots? The guys at OWC are very helpful,, so I might give them a buzz.

BTW, I am settled on a HP for my work needs. Believe it or not the final decision came down to a webcam. Apple does not offer them as an option and HP does - I don't want a webcam, and I can imagine that I am not the only person that feels that way - especially parents might not want their kids to have a webcam. My reason is that I have to bring my computer to court (I am a legal assistant) and no computers with webcams are allowed into court. No I will never have an apple for work as long as they have that practice of not allowing a person to opt out of the webcam.
Dee Dee Warren

Postby jburrows500 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:18 am

I am guessing because you purchased a refurbished unit you got very lucky and it came to you with 2GB. Sweet! Yeah, I guess you have to ask yourself how much RAM will you eventually have in the box. A lot of people are buying 2Gb sticks now because of the lower RAM prices and the fact that the Mac Pro can theoretically hold 4 x 2GB sticks for a total of 16GB... For me, I figured I wouldnt be going over 5GB so I kept the 2 512K sticks and added 4 1GB sticks for a total of 5GB total.... You could put in 2 2GB stickis in for $229 fro OWC.. thats 100 less than what I paid for it only 2 months ago.. and have yourself a nice 6GB box.. if you have an octo box, you could go up to 32Gb I am pretty sure..

OWC53FB1MPK04GB-4.0GB Mac Pro Memory Matched Pair (1GB x 4) PC5300 DDR2 ECC 667MHz 240 Pin FB-DIMM Modules
jburrows500
New User
New User

Postby Dee Dee Warren » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:55 am

Yeah I lucked out and got 2 gigs from the getgo with my refurbished unit. Yeah I was thinking the same thing due to the lower memory prices. Hey, did you hear that the MacPro can now go to 32gig of RAM with the new 4 gigs sticks? Yowser.
Dee Dee Warren

Previous

Return to MAC