They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

New iMacs and MacMini

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Re: New iMacs and MacMini

Postby rfjg » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:48 pm

I'd call Apple directly and confirm.
rfjg
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Bob » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:57 pm

You're right, that is confusing. I think I made a loose, probably erroneous, connection between Intel for the imacs and integrated video. It probably was referring just to Intel's integrated graphics chips. In a brief search, I couldn't find anything about FCS and the Nvidea 9400m though. Sorry for any confusion!
Bob

Postby ryan_khoo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:19 am

Bob wrote:You're right, that is confusing. I think I made a loose, probably erroneous, connection between Intel for the imacs and integrated video. It probably was referring just to Intel's integrated graphics chips. In a brief search, I couldn't find anything about FCS and the Nvidea 9400m though. Sorry for any confusion!

Hi Bob,

I found this nVidia website:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/apple_speaks_visual.html

it says that the GeForce 9400m will take advantage of apps like Aperture and Final Cut Studio 2 but that is for Macbook.

But I am not sure if they use the same GeForce 9400m in MacMini as in Macbooks.

Also, not sure if Motion will work smoothly.

What is your opinion on this ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby ryan_khoo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:22 am

rfjg wrote:I'd call Apple directly and confirm.

I tried calling Apple in my country but they cannot give me an answer.

They said they have to check with Apple in US because they have not got hold of any new Mac Mini yet.

Would appreciate if someone can get Apple US to confirm.

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:19 am

I'm running both Final Cut and After Effects on an iMac and, although I haven't pushed them with heavy loads yet, both programs run very well. And mine is just the mid-level iMac (20" 2.66 dual core with 2 gigs RAM and a 320 gig hard drive). If you're looking for an introduction to the Mac world, an iMac is definitely the way to go (unless you just want to go all-out pro).

There's some debate on some tech sites whether the Mac Mini is really still relevant. It was introduced as an affordable MacIntosh, an alternative to HP and Dell. But the reality is that, once you buy basic things that don't come included (like a monitor) you might has well have bought an iMac (which comes loaded with features like a built-in microphone, webcam, the iLife suite, etc.)

Neither allow for any internal upgrading, aside from additional RAM. So you're pretty much stuck with what you get off the shelf -- and USB and FireWire ports for additional drives.
HP Envy with 2.9/4.4 ghz i7-10700 and 16 gig of RAM running Windows 11 Pro
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:47 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm running both Final Cut and After Effects on an iMac and, although I haven't pushed them with heavy loads yet, both programs run very well. And mine is just the mid-level iMac (20" 2.66 dual core with 2 gigs RAM and a 320 gig hard drive). If you're looking for an introduction to the Mac world, an iMac is definitely the way to go (unless you just want to go all-out pro).

There's some debate on some tech sites whether the Mac Mini is really still relevant. It was introduced as an affordable MacIntosh, an alternative to HP and Dell. But the reality is that, once you buy basic things that don't come included (like a monitor) you might has well have bought an iMac (which comes loaded with features like a built-in microphone, webcam, the iLife suite, etc.)

Neither allow for any internal upgrading, aside from additional RAM. So you're pretty much stuck with what you get off the shelf -- and USB and FireWire ports for additional drives.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input.

Can I know whether your 20" iMac is intergrated graphics card OR dedicated graphics card ?

My main concern is whether the new integrated nVidia GeForce 9400M graphics can handle Motion 3. If it can, then I can save a few hundred bucks to get the Mac Mini instead of the mid entry iMac (only the mid entry & above iMac comes with dedicated graphics card).

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:28 pm

I don't think any iMac -- or any Mac for that matter -- uses integrated graphics, Ryan.

Mine includes an ATI Radeon 2600 Pro 256 mb.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:56 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I don't think any iMac -- or any Mac for that matter -- uses integrated graphics, Ryan.

Thanks Steve,

I was in a state of confused mind when I typed that because the entry level for the NEW 24" iMac now comes with the integrated nVidia GeForce 9400M.

Now my main concern is to find out whether Motion 3 will work smoothly with the integrated nVidia GeForce 9400M. If it will (which I hope it will), then I can save a few hundred bucks to get the Mac Mini instead of a mid-level iMac. My other option if it doesn't work is to get an old iMac

What is your opinion ?

Thanks.
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:20 am

I think you'll find the Intel dual-core iMacs are very powerful machines.

One of the "geniuses" (their word) at the Mac store advised me against trying to run Motion on anything but a Mac Pro -- but he also said he had almost no experience with video editing, so maybe he was just promoting their higher end products.

Final Cut, like After Effects, allows you to work at a lower resolution on slower machines, so the biggest inconvenience is that the slower the machine, the more effects will require you to render them in order to see the final results.

I played with Motion on some iMacs at the store, and I was able to do some effects without any lugging. It's sort of a more accessible version of After Effects -- not quite as powerful but easier to jump right in and use.

None of which gives you or me enough information to draw any conclusions. So if you want some real world advice, it might be worth posting to a Mac user's forum and asking if anyone else is making it work.

I'm expecting that it's like any professional software. You can use it to a good degree on consumer computers -- but if you want to do "serious" work, you may have to spend a few extra thousand for a pro station.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Steve Grisetti wrote:I don't think any iMac -- or any Mac for that matter -- uses integrated graphics, Ryan.

Hi Steve,

In order not to take risk with an integrated graphics card, I may consider buying the old version 24" iMac which comes with the dedicated ATI Radeon 2600 Pro 256 mb (ie scenario 1).

Do you have problem so far rendering 3D stuff on it ?

They are slashing price of the old iMac because of the arrival of new iMac so I thought maybe it is a good time to buy. Will I lose out much to be 1 generation behind ? When the Snow Leopard comes out, is this Scenario 1 still good enough to run Snow Leopard ?

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:30 am

I'm sure you'll have no trouble running Snow Leopard on last year's iMac.

BTW, as with many computer brands, refurbished iMacs can be a great value! They kind of hide them on the site though. The only way I've been able to get to them is to type the word "refurbished" into the search box on the Apple site.

As I type this, the page is under construction, so maybe they're updating the store.
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:04 am

Steve Grisetti wrote:I'm sure you'll have no trouble running Snow Leopard on last year's iMac.
Thanks Steve, that was reassuring.

BTW, as with many computer brands, refurbished iMacs can be a great value! They kind of hide them on the site though. The only way I've been able to get to them is to type the word "refurbished" into the search box on the Apple site.
Thanks. But in my country, there is now a clearance sale of iMac where a BRAND NEW last year iMac is going for about 25% off due to the incoming of new iMac

Oh yes, Steve, you haven't let me know whether you have any problem so far rendering 3D stuff on your dedicated ATI Radeon 2600 Pro 256 mb video RAM (ie scenario 1).

Thanks
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 am

Re your question about rendering 3D stuff, it's hard to say.

As I'm sure you know, programs like Final Cut and After Effects are designed to throttle back when used on a computer that can't handle their graphics needs. In other words, at some point all high-end programs will require you to render an effect before you can see it. At what point that happens, depends on the computer itself.

I've been working through a number of After Effects tutorials and training sessions on my iMac and, so far, it's able to keep up with the program, requiring the occasional RAM render but not lugging under the stress. Even working with AVCHD (which Final Cut does using an intermediate codec), there's not been a point when I wished my machine ran twice as fast.

But, as I've said, you're going to probably need to go a a forum where professionals are using the software and hardware on a regular basis to get a real world evaluation. I'm just driving around city streets now, so I don't know fair an evaluation my test drive is. If you're looking for a real world evaluation, you're going to have to go to a Mac forum where people are regularly taking the software out on the super highway!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby ryan_khoo » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:06 am

I wish to take this opportunity to thank Steve, Chuck, Bob, Bill, rfjg and all my fellow friends here who has taken the trouble to respond to my questions.

In order to play it safe, I have stretched by budget a bit and bought an iMac instead.

Since there is a clearance sale for the 24" 2.8GHz 320GB HDD and the salesmen were knowledgeable and give me a free upgrade to 4MB RAM, so I bought it. I am now typing this from my iMac. :-5

It is amazing, the screen is so big & I am loving it although now I have practically no food to eat for the next 2 weeks. Hahaha

Thank you
ryan_khoo
Senior Contributor
Senior Contributor

Postby Steve Grisetti » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:45 am

I think you've made a very good choice, Ryan.

Have fun with your new toy. It's well worth living on Ramen noodles for a week or two.

BTW, watch Amazon and even eBay for discounted copies of Final Cut. You should be able to pick up a copy of Final Cut Express 4 for under $150.

Pro versions of Final Cut, which come bundled with Motion, a titling tool and an audio tool as Final Cut Studio, on the other hand, might cost you almost as much as that computer!
Steve Grisetti
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to MAC