They're here! More Muvipix.com Guides by Steve Grisetti!
The Muvipix.com Guides to Premiere & Photoshop Elements 2024
As well as The Muvipix.com Guide to CyberLink PowerDirector 21
Because there are stories to tell
muvipix.com

AVCHD Editing via Boot Camp or Parallel or VM

For our MAC users, questions about the various Video Editing software products.

Re: AVCHD Editing via Boot Camp or Parallel or VM

Postby John 'twosheds' McDonald » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:27 am

nkrause wrote:Do you have a post on this forum that clearly explains your workflow for AVCHD editing with PE7 or any other windows based app and what your experiences have been related to stability.

I don't use AVCHD but I am sure there is info somewhere. Failing all else I think PaulLS uses an AVCHD workflow and no doubt he'll be along sometime and he may be able to help you out.

EDIT: Some info in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1558&p=12005&hilit=avchd+workflow#p12005
AMD Ryzen 3900x 12C/24T, ASUS x570 mobo, Arctic Liquid Freezer ll 280, Win11 64 bit, 64GB RAM, Radeon RX 570 graphics, Samsung 500GB NVMe 980 PRO (C:), Samsung 970 Evo SSD (D:), Dell U2717D Monitor, Synology DS412+ 8TB NAS, Adobe CS6.
John 'twosheds' McDonald

Postby Paul LS » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:26 am

I use an AVCHD workflow amongst others. I have been using the "brute force" approach... ie use a Quad-core processor and edit the raw AVCHD. Generally my projects are 30 minutes or less and PE7 has no issues handling these.

For a slower processor you would need to use proxy editing or convert to an intermediate codec.

I have been playing with Corel VideoStudio and this has a built in proxy editor option. That is, once the option is set it will automatically convert the AVCHD to a proxy file (the format which you can set), this conversion is done in the background as you are editing. Once the proxy conversion is completed it replaces your clip on the timeline. This is all transparent to the user. Once you have finished editing and are ready to export it will edit and export the original AVCHD video. However VideoStudio does not have the depth of features and capabilities that PE7 has.

I have also used some intermediate codecs, that is converting to another format for editing. I have Canopus ProCoder and use this for converting to a Canopus HQ high definition AVI. I have also used MJPEG as an intermediate codec. Both work fine with PE7. Advantage is a smooth editing experience... the disadvantage is the conversion time and large file sizes. I suppose as transferring the files to your harddrive is a lot quicker than real-time I can spend some time converting them.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Postby Paul LS » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:26 pm

Either quad core will do all the things on your list apart from your point 5. PE7 will not burn HD to a standard DVD. For this I export from PE7 and bring into Corel DVD Moviefactory 6+.

The graphic card is not so critical... PE7 does not use it to help speed rendering. However if you play AVCHD or Blu-ray on your computer via software player then the graphic cards GPU can be used to take the load of the computers processor. I use Cyberlink PowerDVD as a player and it uses the GPU on an ATI or Nvida graphics card.
Paul LS
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Previous

Return to MAC